A320 smoke on board 15th Aug

Old Aug 16, 19, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
A320 smoke on board 15th Aug

Another ex Midland aircraft with a smoke issue.

"A British Airways Airbus A320-200, registration G-MIDO performing flight BA-2553 from Heraklion (Greece) to London Gatwick,EN (UK), was enroute at FL340 about 80nm northwest of Athens (Greece) when the crew donned their oxygen masks, declared emergency and diverted the aircraft to Athens reporting smoke on board. The aircraft landed safely on Athens' runway 03R about 27 minutes later.

The occurrence aircraft is still on the ground in Athens about 8 hours after landing."

Incident: British Airways A320 near Athens on Aug 15th 2019, smoke on board
Old Aug 16, 19, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor silver
No smoke without fire eh!!
Old Aug 16, 19, 3:20 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Another one. I was at Gatwick last week and overheard in the lift crew discussing smoke in cabin incidents.
very worrying...
Old Aug 16, 19, 4:53 pm

Programs: BAEC
These old BMI birds seem to have a fair few smoke incidents and it is becoming slightly worrying. The inside of these aircraft arenít exactly great either.

Surely, they must recognise this and at least consider retiring them?
Hawker_Hunter likes this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 5:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
Also, it seems common among LCC to keep aircraft for a shorter period of time for the cost benefits; fuel savings, less maintenance, higher reliability.

If BA are trying to compete with LCC and are adopting their operation style then why not have more newer aircraft and keep short haul aircraft for 5-10 years instead of let’s say 20. It would be more environmentally friendly, nicer for customers, bring in fuel savings and make reliability better.

I know new planes cost money but IAG isn’t exactly broke and the model obviously works...
nivsy likes this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 5:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I think this may be down to BA owning more planes as opposed to leasing them but I may be wrong.
Old Aug 17, 19, 1:39 am

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by CloudGazer View Post
I think this may be down to BA owning more planes as opposed to leasing them but I may be wrong.
alas not. Between them easyJet and Ryanair have almost 700 A320/737 - far more than BA but you donít get these reports weekly.
Old Aug 17, 19, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by CloudGazer View Post
I've looked for some figures on this. In their H1 figures for 2019 Easyjet announced they were leasing 31% of their 320 aircraft.
Ryanair's figures as of March 2019 are 42 leased out of 471 aircraft. 16 of those leases are the Laudamotion A320s they've recently acquired.
I can't find recent figures for BA but in 2016 WW said IAG own about 70% of their aircraft but the aim was to get it down to about 50% in 5-7 years.

Old Aug 17, 19, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro View Post
If BA are trying to compete with LCC and are adopting their operation style then why not have more newer aircraft and keep short haul aircraft for 5-10 years instead of letís say 20. It would be more environmentally friendly, nicer for customers, bring in fuel savings and make reliability better.
Isn't there some law about how long an airplane may operate before retiring?
Old Aug 17, 19, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by NicoGo View Post
No, there isn't. How long do you suggest that should be?
Old Aug 17, 19, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
Some go on to be cargo aircraft.
Old Aug 17, 19, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by NicoGo View Post

It's based on cycles (one cycle is a take off and landing) and flight hours rather than years and even then it's not a law.
For Airbus it's 60,000 cycles or 120,000 flight hours as long as the proper maintenance schedule is adhered to. It'll vary depending on which routes the aircraft are allocated to obviously, but at 2,000 cycles a year, which is a lot, that's 30 years. Here are some figures from 2016 of some of the oldest A320s still flying taken from MRO Management

Old Aug 17, 19, 1:08 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Schind View Post
It's based on cycles (one cycle is a take off and landing) and flight hours rather than years and even then it's not a law.
For Airbus it's 60,000 cycles or 120,000 flight hours as long as the proper maintenance schedule is adhered to. It'll vary depending on which routes the aircraft are allocated to obviously, but at 2,000 cycles a year, which is a lot, that's 30 years. Here are some figures from 2016 of some of the oldest A320s still flying taken from MRO Management

forgive me, my understanding is thatís not a hard limit so much as where it becomes beyond prohibitively expensive to maintain the aircraft with the additional maintenance required

are you saying there is a legal hard limit of cycles?
Old Aug 17, 19, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor silver
While. BA run quite a number of elderly aircraft it certainly is different to the model of EZY and RYR who replace aircraft regularly and are buying many hence have a allegedly a good opportunity to negotiate with Boeing and Airbus. Quite often I do feel that when on an EZY 319 or 320 and despite its workload and pax carried it often tends to be somewhat sparkling and cleaner than that of BA. Ironically the new BA NEOs are ofcourse mostly disliked also by Frequent Flyers and certainly was not complemented by a few Cabin staff I have spoken to about the aircraft. Perhaps BA missed a trick but then again all they want is the extra seat capacity and tbf they do seem to fill their aeroplanes. As people have said previous however, I do wonder what the situation would.be like should EZY ever get a foot in the door at LHR.
Old Aug 17, 19, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants View Post

forgive me, my understanding is thatís not a hard limit so much as where it becomes beyond prohibitively expensive to maintain the aircraft with the additional maintenance required

are you saying there is a legal hard limit of cycles?
No. Airbus were looking to extend the life to 180,000 hours but changed the target to 150,000 hours (or 75,000 cycles). The article I linked to has more detail on this but basically they've done fatigue tests so they can work out what needs to be checked and replaced at various stages. From the article " To operate beyond 60,000 FC/120,000 FH, the maintenance programme needs to be revisited. Additional tasks can be expected, but there will also be additional modifications. Operators will be informed about activities once they are launched."

I don't know what the latest is on this but I suppose Airbus are still learning and watching their early aircraft very closely to see how long they can extend their life for, safely, of course.
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: