Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A320 smoke on board 15th Aug

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by nivsy
While. BA run quite a number of elderly aircraft it certainly is different to the model of EZY and RYR who replace aircraft regularly and are buying many hence have a allegedly a good opportunity to negotiate with Boeing and Airbus. Quite often I do feel that when on an EZY 319 or 320 and despite its workload and pax carried it often tends to be somewhat sparkling and cleaner than that of BA. Ironically the new BA NEOs are ofcourse mostly disliked also by Frequent Flyers and certainly was not complemented by a few Cabin staff I have spoken to about the aircraft. Perhaps BA missed a trick but then again all they want is the extra seat capacity and tbf they do seem to fill their aeroplanes. As people have said previous however, I do wonder what the situation would.be like should EZY ever get a foot in the door at LHR.
I think if any other airline got a foot in the door at LHR, be it EZY, Virgin/Flybe, etc and could offer a comprehensive set of UK connections to there for long haul onwards BA would be in trouble. A frequent flyer scheme would help.

BA get many onboard as it's the least worst option and by default due to the LHR slot monopoly.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
I think if any other airline got a foot in the door at LHR, be it EZY, Virgin/Flybe, etc and could offer a comprehensive set of UK connections to there for long haul onwards BA would be in trouble. A frequent flyer scheme would help.
BA get many onboard as it's the least worst option and by default due to the LHR slot monopoly.
Never say never but I can't see easyJet going to LHR.
When Carolyn McCall was in charge at EZY she said she was in favour of a third runway at LHR as it'd mean they could afford to fly there due to lower fees. The problem with that is that John Holland-Kaye said Heathrow would attempt to keep their fees similar to today's levels at best, even with a third runway. Willie Walsh is on record as saying he doubts Heathrow can keep their charges flat with a new runway. They've got to pay for all that infrastructure somehow.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Schind
No. Airbus were looking to extend the life to 180,000 hours but changed the target to 150,000 hours (or 75,000 cycles). The article I linked to has more detail on this but basically they've done fatigue tests so they can work out what needs to be checked and replaced at various stages. From the article " To operate beyond 60,000 FC/120,000 FH, the maintenance programme needs to be revisited. Additional tasks can be expected, but there will also be additional modifications. Operators will be informed about activities once they are launched."

I don't know what the latest is on this but I suppose Airbus are still learning and watching their early aircraft very closely to see how long they can extend their life for, safely, of course.
sounds like we’re on the same page 😉

i was on G-MIDO just recently- other than the horrid spaceflex it was Ok-ish

I have several c210 sectors upcoming which could challenge my life expectancy
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
They already did, Little Red. Hardly anyone flew on them and it was disbanded after two years.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA

They already did, Little Red. Hardly anyone flew on them and it was disbanded after two years.
Thread drift but interesting discussion! . I do.wonder just how serious though that operation was. It was almost like a scourned lover after the BMI situation and the routes were of course ex BMI on EI leased metal. Maybe you are right though and BA use ofcourse LHR as the hub with the smaller aircraft quite often feeding in pax at cheaper costs to pick up long haul as well as feeding to the region's. You know.something though...i for one would.like to see just what the likes of EZY would.do at LHR. Regardless if they did arrive I suspect a few frowns of concern within BA.

Last edited by nivsy; Aug 18, 2019 at 1:39 am
Old Sep 1, 2019, 10:24 pm

A320 smoke problems could be the next MAX

It’s not just British airways. Easyjet has had 16 cockpit/cabin smoke emergency landings over the past 3 years. US and Asian airlines are having the same problem. The aviation press will soon pick up on this. This is a major safety issue that has only been confined thus far to forums like this. This is about to change
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Eyesandears
It’s not just British airways. Easyjet has had 16 cockpit/cabin smoke emergency landings over the past 3 years. US and Asian airlines are having the same problem. The aviation press will soon pick up on this. This is a major safety issue that has only been confined thus far to forums like this. This is about to change
Actually the aviation press has been reporting these types of incidents for decades - it’s nothing new. The absolute number of occurrences is increasing due to the overall growth in the in-service fleet, but there is no evidence to suggest the very low likelihood of it happening on a given flight is increasing, unless you have evidence to the contrary?
Globaliser and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 12:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Let me greet and welcome @Eyesandears to Flyertalk and the BA forum, thank you for joining up here and for making your interesting first post. Welcome on board, I hope we will hear from you in the future too.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eyesandears
Is it very 2019 for me to suspect this is a Russian bot working for an arms length PR agency associated with Boeing?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: QF WP
I think there’s a lot of vested interests for sure. The parallel thread on pprune has a lot of “have you been exposed to a320 smoke? You could have aerotoxic syndrome! Call today for a free no obligation assessment” etc type posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.