Advice on complaint procedure

Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Advice on complaint procedure

Hi All

I wanted to ask advice on how to procede with a complaint with BA (two to be more accurate). Firstly, I am aware of the major disruption in the last couple of weeks (some of which I was caught up in) and am aware of the heavy burden the department will be under, but my first complaint for broken baggage was raised on the 11th of July, over a month ago and way before all of the IROPS chaos.

I was originally promised by the twitter team that they'd be arranging for the bag to be fixed, providing me a case number and ensuring all would be rapidly dealt with. However, since then I've had zero follow up. While travelling, I had to purchase a new bag (the handle on the old one was totalled and I cannot carry 15-20kg in a bag with no handle), and I also incurred additional cost from repatriating the broken bag to the UK because I was on a single-leg HBO fare to return home. I had to pay a checked bag as could not take on two carry-ons. I'm now close to 200 gbp out of pocket on this one and getting frustrated at the lack of movement.

My second complaint relating to claiming expenses back from a weather delay and the appalling ground handling (took hours to organise hotels and then we were erroneously summoned by BA message to the airport hours early, only to be told it was a mistake and that our flight wouldn't depart until much later), which was filed 25th July, is slightly more recent. I am out of pocket on this for taxis and food etc. We were 3 people travelling, so I was covering their costs too. So this all starts to add up on top of the previous problem.

I've been in regular contact with the BA twitter team, who have repeatedly "added a note to the files" and said "we're sure it won't be long now". When I've tried to call CR, the phone says "All operators are busy" and then it hangs up, rather than stay on hold.

My question is... what would people recommend in terms of soliciting a response? Are there other means to accelerate delays where CR are just simply not responding?

I've been very relaxed about it all for some time, but that relaxed state has disappeared and I'm becoming more agitated by the day. I know many other people out there are waiting on money, so this is not about me feeling entitled to be rushed to the front of the queue. I'm just after some experience of others in order to decide how to procede.

Warm wishes
ttmex .
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Put a Ł amount to your complaint, demand a response by a certain date. Assuming no response, send a formal letter before action. Assuming no response, take them to the small claims court. Somewhere in between there you will get a response and in all likelihood a settlement offer.
TTmex and argonath like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Ok, I will add that to the list. The formal letter seems like an appropriate first step to take. I'm hoping it doesn't have to get to SMC, but let's see how it goes. Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Forget Twitter.

Submit each of the two separate requests and attach the relevant receipts. Provide a short cover letter which explains exactly what you are claiming. Leave out all of the irrelevant details. Unless you have made a specific monetary request and backed it up with the paperwork to prove it, you will never see anything.

The chances that BA reimburses you for the purchase of a new bag and also repairs the old one and then reimburses bag fees are close to zero.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Hi, yes. I've attached receipts for everything incurred from taxis, food and drink, bags, bag fees etc. I don't mind which they do with regards to the bag. Replace the old one fine. Refund for the new one, fine. The other was a perfectly good bag until it was wrecked.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
In my experience, don't deal with people by email. They do absolutely nothing to rectify things - in my case: a cancellation, rebook and downgrade that really messed up my weekend trip. They even wanted silly permission letters on behalf of my partner. They were completely useless and after about seven emails, I gave up and phoned in. The lady I dealt with was slightly better, but never got reimbursed the extra tax/surcharges she said i would be. Had to deal with the line "well its only Ł15" or something like that. Really showed their attitude and I've almost finished my switch to other airlines, so I would advise to fly with someone else going forward.
TTmex and Pittie Pup like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
For what it’s worth, on complaint no1, I think you’ll need to pick your camp: either the bag so unrepairable so you needed to buy a new one instead, but then you can’t really claim the checked bag fee, or it was useable but with the broken handle you had to check it in and are claiming the check bag fee but then can’t claim the replacement bag.

I suspect that if you ask for both, not only will this not fly but ba will ‘choose’ whatever version suits them best (I’d guess checked bag fee plus organising handle repair).

and I do agree a month is too long for them to sort this out.
LTN Phobia and TTmex like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to give phoning up a couple more tries.

Regarding the bag, yep. Best to pursue one line I agree. The new bag probably easiest to avoid faffing around getting them to collect old one and return it.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by TTmex
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to give phoning up a couple more tries.

Regarding the bag, yep. Best to pursue one line I agree. The new bag probably easiest to avoid faffing around getting them to collect old one and return it.
Every time you call or otherwise communicate, you are simply creating a new database entry which is delaying a response by that much more time.

Submit each claim separately with the relevant receipts attached and then summarized and totaled in the claim. Make it business-like, short and to the point.

As others note, if you don't care about which option applies to the bag, then make a choice and claim for that. I can tell you that repairing or replacing the bag is the carrier's responsibility. Paying you for your choice to purchase a new one would be purely a customer service gesture and reimbursing checked bag fees would be above and beyond. As soon as you say something such as "I don't care whether you repair the old one or pay my claim for the new one," you create endless months of delay.
TTmex likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Got ya. That's very sage advice and I hadn't thought about it that way. I will rejig the claims and make it much simpler.

Appreciate you taking the time to help.

Warm Wishes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.