Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Need to change/cancel shorthaul outbound sector

Old Aug 15, 19, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere - I did a bunch of searching and didn't have much luck finding an answer.

I'm booked to fly (with 3 others) LCY-MUC (CE) and then MUC-LHR (ET) later in the year for Oktoberfest.

I've just found out that my work needs me in AMS the two days before I will be flying out - which almost works out well, but I can't get out of the meeting early enough to return to LCY to "make" my original flight to Munich. Work are ok to fund the cancellation/change fees etc to get me to the workshop if they're reasonable, but I'm not sure the best course of action.

My existing flights were made on BA's website directly. I think there are a few options here:
Option 1 - Change existing LCY-MUC leg to be 2 days earlier and change destination to AMS (i.e. turn it into an open jaw), retaining return flight
Option 2 - Cancel LCY-MUC leg and book LON-AMS and AMS-MUC, retaining return flight.
Option 3 - Change existing LCY-MUC leg to be 2 days earlier, and then book MUC-AMS return, retaining return flight.
Option 4 ??

I'm wondering on the do-ability, particularly of the first which would involve less flying/risk than option 3 which I can see I can do online for only the £100 change fee, but would take up most of the first day flying to/from Munich.

Appreciate any insight you can offer as to the best/most feasible option here!
(And, here's to being thankful the meeting is *before* Oktoberfest, and not after!)
Old Aug 15, 19, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Frankly, I don’t think there is any ‘off the shelf’ answer as it depends on you ticket rules. You are best off calling ba after having looked at apparently cheap yet convenient flights suggesting your options. Likely best shot is changing to Lon-ams// muc-Lon and book AMS-muc by plane or train separately.
pythonisman and Cymro like this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 4:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If work is paying for at least LON-AMS (plus your change fees), shouldn't this be on a separate ticket?
argonath likes this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If work is paying for at least LON-AMS (plus your change fees), shouldn't this be on a separate ticket?
Ah maybe I left out a key point -- The workshop will finish too late for me to be able to return to London in time to take my original outbound ticket, which I think is the last flight of the day already out of LCY (so I couldn't same day change to something later), else this would have been an obvious option as well.

If the ticket can be modified so my first flight is to Amsterdam and not to Munich, I'd say this would all be fairly simple / not an issue, but I will give them a call to discuss!

Edit: looks like I did make it clear, maybe I misunderstood what you're suggesting?
Old Aug 15, 19, 5:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Essentially a change or a refund / rebook is going to cost the same.

If this was all coming out of your own pocket, for the sake of argument, the lowest cost would probably be to move the LCY-MUC to the next day, so lose a day in Munich, then add LON-AMS-LON for the workshop. The next cheapest would be to cancel your LCY-MUC-LON altogether and replace it with LON-AMS - [revenue flight to MUC] - MUC-LHR. If Avios availability is around for this or similarly timed flights, then you can do this all online with just paying the redeposit fee. If your Avios balance is low OR there isn't any suitable MUC-LON available to you, then you will have to call up and persuade the agent to change LCY-MUC to LON-AMS will retaining the MUC return.

With apologies for the repetition, it's often best to book redemptions as singles to increase flexibility.
pythonisman likes this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 6:18 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
The OP doesn't seem to be using Avios?

So I think Opt. 1 would be £100 change fee + any fare difference, so maybe have a look online first to get an idea of which outbound has a fare similar to what you paid.You'll need to call in to make the change

Changing it to an open jaw won't be an issue
Old Aug 15, 19, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the input.

I called BA and they confirmed that it's possible on my fare type and there's availability in the right fare bucket. Moving to LCY-AMS is cost neutral so they can make it open jaw with the £100 change fee + £3.74 in additional taxes.

Work are agreeable to then fly me AMS-MUC (KL looking most likely) instead of back to London so pending some confirmation, that's the path I'll take, will only cost work about £50 more than if they were booking the LON-AMS-LON flight from scratch (as the cheapest flights don't get me there/back at the right times. It helps to have a fairly flexible employer in this case.

Only downside for this option is I'll earn half the QF status credits I would have originally (they seem to have a lower category than BA do for partner earn), but based on travel already booked/flown I'm pretty sure I'll comfortably retain my status this coming year so it's far from the end of the world!