FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   What is this "dial/knob" on BA 747's adjacent to the lights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1983019-what-dial-knob-ba-747s-adjacent-lights.html)

rrz518 Aug 14, 2019 6:15 pm

What is this "dial/knob" on BA 747's adjacent to the lights?

Never saw this before....and didn't feel like messing w/it. What does it do?
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2c9c35067b.jpg

Welcome On Board Aug 14, 2019 6:40 pm

It’s for customers who require oxygen for medical reasons. The crew will connect an oxygen mask/cannula to this and oxygen is fed from the main tanks onboard.

It’s usually pre booked by customers who require a flow of oxygen constantly.

sammyh25 Aug 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Theraputic outlet for oxygen. In a medical situation crew can plug a mask into this outlet and supply oxygen at eiher 4 or 8 litres a minute.

rrz518 Aug 14, 2019 7:29 pm

Thank you for the information, I NEVER would have guessed that. That said, I've been on virtually every aircraft type, including many 747's (but never BA)....and have never seen this device. Is it unique to BA? If so, why is it not on other aircraft? (or if it is, maybe placed in another location?) Still, only on BA in my experience....odd.

aceman Aug 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Right I better stop poking and playing with it EVERY time I see one, in the vague hope that it’s an air vent....

ENTP Aug 15, 2019 12:50 am

Always wondered this and never knew; thanks for asking the question!

noFODplease Aug 15, 2019 2:56 am

Originally Posted by aceman (Post 31417573)
Right I better stop poking and playing with it EVERY time I see one, in the vague hope that it’s an air vent....

Well it kind of is.. :D

alvinlwh Aug 15, 2019 4:06 am

Originally Posted by rrz518 (Post 31417470)
Thank you for the information, I NEVER would have guessed that. That said, I've been on virtually every aircraft type, including many 747's (but never BA)....and have never seen this device. Is it unique to BA? If so, why is it not on other aircraft? (or if it is, maybe placed in another location?) Still, only on BA in my experience....odd.

It is not unique to BA, or even jets. I had been on a LM SAAB 2000 where an infant can only be placed in certain seats as only at those position, such an oxygen supply exists (otherwise 2 per seat pair with no extra). The crew also placed an infant oxygen mask (along with the infant life raft) in the overhead locker.

sammyh25 Aug 15, 2019 5:21 am

You will also see the same "knob" above the outboard seats on our 777s, so I suspect it's a Boeing item rather than specifically BA...

Bellerophon Aug 15, 2019 5:47 am

Originally Posted by rrz518 (Post 31417470)
... have never seen this device. Is it unique to BA? If so, why is it not on other aircraft? ...

One possible reason you may not have seen it on other aircraft types is that I think it would depend on the type of emergency passenger oxygen system fitted to the aircraft; a bottled-oxygen system or a chemical-generator oxygen system.

Aircraft, such as the DC-10 which BA used to operate, had an emergency passenger oxygen supplied by a chemical-generators, which, once activated, could not be turned off, and would run until depletion. On those aircraft types cabin crew would supply therapeutic oxygen to an ailing passenger using small portable oxygen bottles.

To supply therapeutic oxygen, via a plug -in mask, to an individual passenger who needs it, requires the aircraft to have a ring-main passenger oxygen system, supplied and pressurised by oxygen bottles in the holds, with the associated ability to turn the oxygen supply off once therapeutic oxygen is no longer needed. In both cases, as mentioned by sammyh25 different flow rates can be selected by a switch on the mask.

As an aside, the procedure for turning on, and particularly off, the therapeutic oxygen on earlier series of B747, if not followed exactly, or if the passenger disconnected the mask themself, would result in all the passenger emergency oxygen masks dropping down, something I suspect some of the older more senior and experienced cabin crew on this forum may have experienced!

mradey Aug 15, 2019 6:01 am

Originally Posted by aceman (Post 31417573)

It is an air vent... well sort of :-)