Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Get ready for some screams in First

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Don't the latest fighter jets have vr in the helmet so the pilot can see through the body of the plane?
Yes, they do. Managing all the 360°/3-axis information is one of the challenges!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
As a home VR user (Oculus Rift) I am quite excited about this tech making its way into cabins, has the potential to be a game changer against standard IFE.

Shame it’s not trialling on more routes.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Hmm, could VR make the cabin look cleaner and food look tastier?

Digitally enhanced crew perhaps?!

Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC, Skywards, KLM
Originally Posted by Dambus

Absolutely! The answer to everybody's desires. We shall have a tick sheet (or I-pad tick box) upon boarding to configure everyone's expectations, then be carried in banality while experiencing our utmost ecstasy! Roll On. Or maybe a future I don't wish to be a part of.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by alanw
Perhaps they'll use the technology to make BA F seem like CX or EK.
Originally Posted by Sean Bhalach
Absolutely! The answer to everybody's desires. We shall have a tick sheet (or I-pad tick box) upon boarding to configure everyone's expectations, then be carried in banality while experiencing our utmost ecstasy! Roll On. Or maybe a future I don't wish to be a part of.
My first thought was that it would be used to deliver the advertised F experience - just don't try to eat the virtual food.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'll stick to the old fashioned way of being entertained....reading a book.
T8191 and Great_circle like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:14 pm

They are trialing it tonight on BA172. I was tempted for a second but when the FO got all excited about 5:38h flight time I decided that sleep is of the most importance and of course an LPSG.

Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Don't the latest fighter jets have vr in the helmet so the pilot can see through the body of the plane?
I know that modern helmets/visors have ‘augmented reality’ were supplemental information is being ‘added’ through the visor to the view that the pilot already would have.

Last edited by Great_circle; Aug 17, 2019 at 2:09 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
The article says
​​​​ ...​​​The experience even works when they are lying fully flat...
That would be a nice experience: Imagine experiencing a Formula 1 race, sitting straight up in a car while actually lying flat in First. And then remove the VR goggles... Say hello to motion sickness.

Last edited by Great_circle; Aug 17, 2019 at 2:10 am
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
"We are delighted to announce that on the back of our new VR offering for our First class customers, we have teamed up with The White Company to commission an exclusive range of BA branded sick bags, provided free of charge in your amenities kit, for use should you become disorientated during your experience"......
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
Ha! I thought this was going to be the usual complaints about kids in F. I was going to say smugly that my kids are currently seated in 5E/F on BA283 (LAX) and are plugged into the iFE not bothering anyone. But it’s not about that at all....
Yes I straight away thought it was someone saying that they're travelling with their baby in F.

I too have used a professional VR setup, which was normally mainly used for training workers before going on oil rigs etc. We did use it to simulate being on a roller coaster and the lack of movement did make me feel sick - the ironic thing about that is that I love roller coasters and don't get sick on them.

T
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
How BA would actually deliver a "VR Experience" onboard...
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.

why does BA do this BS instead of getting the basics right - like enough loaded food, or properly trained crew?

maybe Lufthansa or JAL or Qantas can pay for content and you can then pretend to be in a clean up to date plane with decent F&B and enough of it to get your choice, with cabin appropriate trained crew?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.