Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA LHR-JFK worlds most lucrative route.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by jeroen100
  • Question : What aircraft type does British Airways fly to JFK and LHR?
    Answer : British Airways typically flies the Boeing 747-400 out of JFK and returns on a Boeing 767-300 from LHR.
You've never seen those special hangars BA has at JFK and LHR? The one at JFK quickly changes the 767s into 747s during the layover, and in LHR they change them back to 767s.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
See, the thing is that it is not about what you or I think - it's about what people are paying for. The current CW seat may be decades old, but you can't really come up with anything above a flat bed apart from offering a little bit of space there or a door here... all at the expense of spaciousness that the CW seat affords. If you're only complaint is that the seat is old then no seat will be good enough for you because some other airline will come up with a different configuration, which will be the same flat bed but a different seat. The problem with this forum is that 'me' becomes 'everybody else'... I know that not many people (very few, indeed) travel like me, and I am trying to understand what people want before I provide an input but many members seem to confuse what they want with what the public in general want.
I suppose if this were true then the majority of other airlines would be offering J products similar to the CW seat, and they are not. The seat is one of the least competitive J seats in the entire industry at this point with possibly only DL and AA's coffin 767 seats being worse (and even these offer direct aisle access). BA survives in this lucrative market for a few reasons, including its strong brand presence and the fact that it has a fortress hub on one end. It is certainly not because of the CW seat.

BA also does not really have strong competition in this market currently as DL/VS do not have the same footprint on JFK-LHR, and AA is a joint venture partner, not really a competitor.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
So lucrative that someone earlier posted that they bought a ticket for less than 1300, with the outward in F and return in J, originating in MAN but via LHR.
argonath and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
I suppose if this were true then the majority of other airlines would be offering J products similar to the CW seat, and they are not. The seat is one of the least competitive J seats in the entire industry at this point with possibly only DL and AA's coffin 767 seats being worse (and even these offer direct aisle access). BA survives in this lucrative market for a few reasons, including its strong brand presence and the fact that it has a fortress hub on one end. It is certainly not because of the CW seat.
The seat is patented so other airlines simply can't offer it. As to the 'least competitive' part - while AA and DL have reduced the number of business class seats on some of their aircraft (because they are so much more competitive, I suppose), BA is flying the largest business class cabins among airlines. Again, it's a 'me = market' way of thinking.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by nancypants
Probably a stupid question but does this mean that’s AA JFK-LHR (and vv) is not one of the 10 most profitable, or are they only allowing one airline to be in the top 10 most profitable on each route?
Gross revenue and profitability are not the same thing.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia

Gross revenue and profitability are not the same thing.
yeah I thought that after I typed it but you get the gist
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:28 am
Suspended

BA also does not really have strong competition in this market currently as DL/VS do not have the same footprint on JFK-LHR, and AA is a joint venture partner, not really a competitor.
LHR is definitely not a fortress hub. BA has only a bit more than half the LHR market. And indeed there are four other airlines that fly to NYC. Don’t forget UA and the new Polaris seat on all EWR flights. There are many reasons BA is the market leader but a fortress hub is not one of them. CLT, DFW etc are fortress hubs.
Andriyko likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:40 am

It's frequency that drives the NYC route, and BA's position at LHR allows them to dominate. United and Delta can do whatever they want onboard but as long as BA/AA own the slots to run an hourly shuttle service they will own the market.

I'd have thought they would make a bit more effort on the HKG and SIN routes as they are also known to be big revenue generators.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Kent
1,000,000,000/360 days=
2,777,777/20 flights per day=
138,888 gross revenue per flight.

Half the flights 77W and half 744 Hi-J equals average passenger per flight count of 287 pax resulting in $483.50 per pax.

85% load and it is $571.50 per pax. Is this reasonable given the high concentration of J seats?
Would be interested to know how much the LHR/JFK airports earn in fees on this route and the respective Govt's earn in taxes?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jeroen100
Interesting article from Forbes. Maybe common knowledge here but some new information for me so I’d thought I’d post. Mods please move if there is another thread on this, did not find one.

BA’s LHR-JFK route is worth $ 1.16 billion in revenue each year. Top 10 of most lucrative routes in this Forbes Article

I guess it's silly season. They seem to post this every year.

Here's last year's article.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericros...lion-annually/
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Tha nature of the Joint Business is that very few are destined to know that, and the OAG methodology certainly won't show that up. Again if a journalist wanted to find some real news they could perhaps delve into this a bit more deeply, but one clue is that while AA has tried to move international routes from NYC to PHL, this is one route they haven't touched.
I did not know this about PHL.. is this why the flight prices to PHL dropped? This time last year i was looking at £850 from LHR to PHL in sept and ended up flying into Newark and getting megabus/amtrak (and even with staying in NYC for a night, i was still paying only £420 for the whole trip).
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: QF P1, OZ Diamond

​​​​​​Did you know that the in AA's and DL's 767 business is the Thompson Vantage - the same seat that B6 has in their mint class. I find the footwells diabolically small and the seats very narrow with the Vantage, so am not particularly excited about flying mint across the Atlantic.

I personally think the CW seat is still competitive, the window seats are incredibly private and I sleep better in CW than almost any other J seat due to the open foot space and the generous padding. The main downside is the lack of aisle access, but I don't need to get up every 10 minutes, and the high walls make it pretty easy to vault over your neighbour's legs anyway.
Jimmie76 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As to AA, it does not matter. AA & BA are not only a JV, but a revenue-sharing arrangement. Thus, whether one pays BA or AA for a ticket, the revenue and expenses are shared.

What does matter is currency paid. Every ticket sold in $ vs. GBP makes the route more profitable for BA as Sterling slides against the $. While US-based expenses are increasing in cost because it costs BA more to purchase $, those are only a smallish part of the expenses.

That slide ultimately makes tickets more expensive for those paying in GBP and cheaper for those paying in $.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
The seat is patented so other airlines simply can't offer it. As to the 'least competitive' part - while AA and DL have reduced the number of business class seats on some of their aircraft (because they are so much more competitive, I suppose), BA is flying the largest business class cabins among airlines. Again, it's a 'me = market' way of thinking.
Cabin size is not really and indicator of the competitiveness of the product. JFK-LHR is a route which has a lot of J demand and not a lot of highly competitive offerings. Look at BA F for example. BA has some of the largest F cabins in the industry, yet one of the least competitive F product offerings. The industry standard is direct aisle access in J and is slowly becoming mini-suites in J. This is why you see BA finally introducing a new CW suite product on its A350 aircraft.

AA has reduced the number of J seats on its 767 and 777 aircraft slightly due to the footprint of the newer J seats, however to my knowledge the 77W, and A330s remain the same as they always have. AA is not a great barometer of a successful J product either as they miss in a number of areas as well. The same can be said for DL who is actually in the process of refurbishing their J seats again to the new D1 suite product. Newer seats have a larger footprint and often this means there are a slightly lower number of them.

Originally Posted by PGFlyer85

LHR is definitely not a fortress hub. BA has only a bit more than half the LHR market. And indeed there are four other airlines that fly to NYC. Don’t forget UA and the new Polaris seat on all EWR flights. There are many reasons BA is the market leader but a fortress hub is not one of them. CLT, DFW etc are fortress hubs.
Fortress hub is perhaps the wrong word, however there is no doubt that BA offering numerous connecting flights out of LHR (far more than any other airline even comes close to) greatly assists their ability to offer 8 different JFK-LHR flights each day.

Originally Posted by rfarlz
​​​​​​Did you know that the in AA's and DL's 767 business is the Thompson Vantage - the same seat that B6 has in their mint class. I find the footwells diabolically small and the seats very narrow with the Vantage, so am not particularly excited about flying mint across the Atlantic.
Yes, however the major difference is the way the seat get squished on the 767 vs. the A321/other aircraft. Mint Suite seats are 2 inches wider than the J seats found on the 767s of AA and DL and offer consoles on both sides which greatly reduces that 'coffin' feel of the 767 seats. With that said, it's quite possible that B6 will use a different J seat on its A321LR aircraft.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Mountlodge
Would be interested to know how much the LHR/JFK airports earn in fees on this route and the respective Govt's earn in taxes?
LHR's charges are publically available.
https://www.heathrow.com/company/par...ditions-of-use

The top pdf (HAL Conditions Of Use 2019) has the current fees.

There are noise and emissions charges for landing, departing passenger charges and parking charges. I'm not going to sit here and work out, or even estimate, how much they get from this route. It's plenty though. There is mention of a maximum yield of £22.91 per passenger. I have no idea what that actually means but it's in the ball park of what's usually reported as the fees to use LHR.

As for government taxes - I've not got a clue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.