Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA LHR-JFK worlds most lucrative route.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Tried to find how many seats BA has available on that LHR-JFK route. Not getting anywhere yet but found this tidbit on the Travelocity website. I’m a bit confused about the last statement...
  • Question : How many flights does British Airways fly from JFK to LHR?
    Answer : British Airways flies 605 flights every month between JFK and LHR.
  • Question : What aircraft type does British Airways fly to JFK and LHR?
    Answer : British Airways typically flies the Boeing 747-400 out of JFK and returns on a Boeing 767-300 from LHR.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO; DL GLD
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Actually I could pull the whole article apart quite quickly. It's making a heck of a lot of assumptions (see last year's FT thread). I've no doubt that JFK is a very nice little earner for BA, but >USD 1bn gross revenue before tax and depreciation? I somewhat doubt it.

1,000,000,000/360 days=
2,777,777/20 flights per day=
138,888 gross revenue per flight.

Half the flights 77W and half 744 Hi-J equals average passenger per flight count of 287 pax resulting in $483.50 per pax.

85% load and it is $571.50 per pax. Is this reasonable given the high concentration of J seats?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Oh, but even if JetBlue succeeds, the 'shaking up' won't be in the direction that most here expect. Once long-haul flying has been 'no frilled,' there will be no turning back. The I-would-pay-a-little-bit-more-for-a-batter-service group will start moaning that the stupid general public accept the inferior seat and poor catering in return for cheaper prices. JetBlue will not be entering the market to make BA or AA or UA or DL introduce showers or bars or spas on the plane... The shaking up will not be to many people's liking here.
I would claim London to New York economy has already been no frilled - and due to competition and oversupply fares have never been lower. It’s only in the premium segment that there is opportunity for true disruption. And JetBlue’s Mint strategy is not low frills.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, but even if JetBlue succeeds, the 'shaking up' won't be in the direction that most here expect. Once long-haul flying has been 'no frilled,' there will be no turning back. The I-would-pay-a-little-bit-more-for-a-batter-service group will start moaning that the stupid general public accept the inferior seat and poor catering in return for cheaper prices. JetBlue will not be entering the market to make BA or AA or UA or DL introduce showers or bars or spas on the plane... The shaking up will not be to many people's liking here.
which is an interesting perspective as, arguably, JetBlue has driven the US domestic completion to improve their game. Transcon flying is way nicer than a decade ago.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:16 pm
Suspended

VS will operate A351 aircraft LHR-JFK 3 flights per day from November and 4 times per day from December, if I was a frequent business traveller I’d be avoiding the old boeings.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by APUBleed

I would claim London to New York economy has already been no frilled - and due to competition and oversupply fares have never been lower. It’s only in the premium segment that there is opportunity for true disruption. And JetBlue’s Mint strategy is not low frills.
Disruption to what end? To bring the prices down? The service down? I am all up for it.

Originally Posted by Swanhunter

which is an interesting perspective as, arguably, JetBlue has driven the US domestic completion to improve their game. Transcon flying is way nicer than a decade ago.

But, them compare the prices for first class on B6 and AA - huge difference...and you of course get an inferior bed, an inferior service, no pre-flight dining etc. on B6. Which is what I am getting at - there will be a large number of people who will 'accept' to get an inferior bed, inferior food, inferior lounges for half the price, but the experience for them will still be good because they get to sleep on the flight on what resembles a bed. I'd say that Transcon flying is better because of AA rather than B6.

Last edited by Andriyko; Aug 14, 2019 at 2:36 pm
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
AA was basically forced to put flat beds on its TATL flights as part of the JV.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Only if they get some LHR or LGW slots ...
I've only used LHR on my few trips to/through the UK. Why not include LCY in your list?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Oh, but even if JetBlue succeeds, the 'shaking up' won't be in the direction that most here expect. Once long-haul flying has been 'no frilled,' there will be no turning back. The I-would-pay-a-little-bit-more-for-a-better-service group will start moaning that the stupid general public accept the inferior seat and poor catering in return for cheaper prices. JetBlue will not be entering the market to make BA or AA or UA or DL introduce showers or bars or spas on the plane... The shaking up will not be to many people's liking here.
I would argue that B6 transcon Mint is already better than the current BA Club World product on this route and basically in line with what AA, DL, and VS offer. The area where B6 will need to improve (or have in general) will be lounges. I'm sure a contact lounge would work on the London side, on the JFK side B6 will need its own premium lounge and realistically should already have this for their transcon flights. With that said I would absolutely accept a 5th freedom flight or two by QR or EK if that could ever be arranged as well.

Originally Posted by Gig103
I've only used LHR on my few trips to/through the UK. Why not include LCY in your list?
B6 will not have any aircraft that can fly TATL into/out of LCY.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
I would argue that B6 transcon Mint is already better than the current BA Club World product on this route and basically in line with what AA, DL, and VS offer.
If it were in line with what AA, DL or UA have to offer then B6 would have driven them out of business. And the current Mint product is nowhere near BA's CW.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by jeroen100
Tried to find how many seats BA has available on that LHR-JFK route. Not getting anywhere yet but found this tidbit on the Travelocity website. I’m a bit confused about the last statement...
  • Question : How many flights does British Airways fly from JFK to LHR?
    Answer : British Airways flies 605 flights every month between JFK and LHR.
  • Question : What aircraft type does British Airways fly to JFK and LHR?
    Answer : British Airways typically flies the Boeing 747-400 out of JFK and returns on a Boeing 767-300 from LHR.
Ah yes, the internet.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:17 pm

I would argue that B6 transcon Mint is already better than the current BA Club World product on this route and basically in line with what AA, DL, and VS offer. The area where B6 will need to improve (or have in general) will be lounges. I'm sure a contact lounge would work on the London side, on the JFK side B6 will need its own premium lounge and realistically should already have this for their transcon flights. With that said I would absolutely accept a 5th freedom flight or two by QR or EK if that could ever be arranged as well.

B6 will not have any aircraft that can fly TATL into/out of LCY.
​​​​US3 would have a meltdown if that happened. Also, I think there is a gentleman's agreement by ME2 to not introduce any more fifth freedom flights to US.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by jeroen100
Boeing has a special swap-out scheme for 747 to 767 at the ratio of 1:1.33.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
If it were in line with what AA, DL or UA have to offer then B6 would have driven them out of business. And the current Mint product is nowhere near BA's CW.
Based on a handful of transcon routes, one airline having a slightly superior product would have driven the rest out of business? Not really how that works...

If you're talking about the new CW then yes, that's true. If you're talking about the 8 abreast CW on the vast majority of BA's fleet, then I disagree. I would much rather sit in a Mint Suite with aisle access and a window rather than sit backwards in a decades old J seat and have to climb over someone to get out.

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
​​​​US3 would have a meltdown if that happened. Also, I think there is a gentleman's agreement by ME2 to not introduce any more fifth freedom flights to US.
Let them have a meltdown then. They can figure out how to improve their products and pricing to compete or they can go out of business like many should have years ago had they not been saved by bankruptcy protection.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:52 pm

If you're talking about the new CW then yes, that's true. If you're talking about the 8 abreast CW on the vast majority of BA's fleet, then I disagree. I would much rather sit in a Mint Suite with aisle access and a window rather than sit backwards in a decades old J seat and have to climb over someone to get out.
See, the thing is that it is not about what you or I think - it's about what people are paying for. The current CW seat may be decades old, but you can't really come up with anything above a flat bed apart from offering a little bit of space there or a door here... all at the expense of spaciousness that the CW seat affords. If you're only complaint is that the seat is old then no seat will be good enough for you because some other airline will come up with a different configuration, which will be the same flat bed but a different seat. The problem with this forum is that 'me' becomes 'everybody else'... I know that not many people (very few, indeed) travel like me, and I am trying to understand what people want before I provide an input but many members seem to confuse what they want with what the public in general want.
Jimmie76 and Cap'n Benj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.