Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sense check re: £2019 sale and avios booking cancellation

Old Aug 14, 19, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Dear all,
The collective wisdom would be appreciated: I have trip to NYC coming up at the end of the month, a special holiday with me and my partner. I used a 2-4-1 and booked First out, Upper Deck CW back at a cost of 140,000 avios and £1337 in taxes. The £2019 sale promotion works for our dates with a 747 out and the LCY service back. I would earn 17000 or so avios, get back my 2-4-1 voucher and the 140k for another day - at a cost of £739 once I get my refund (minus the £70 change fee).

This seems like a wise decision - we would't have the First experience, but the return on the LCY would be interesting, and in fact the flight times are a little more convenient - would you agree?

Thanks for any thoughts!
argonath likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
If you have the funds for for another holiday and there is availability to where you want to go during the voucher validity, would say it's a no brainer.
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:41 am

I agree with your thoughts, super deal.
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Ah you bring up a good point - any idea how to check the used voucher validity - I booked it in December last year and can't remember. Thanks
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, *G (TK)
If you can easily use 2-4-1 and avios for a future trip, I would do it.
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:46 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Doubly so if you can use some of the "spare" avios to upgrade!
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Ah - Have checked and the voucher would be out of date according to Amex - so I think that nixes the idea - but thanks for the replies!
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:57 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Tootall33 View Post
Ah - Have checked and the voucher would be out of date according to Amex - so I think that nixes the idea - but thanks for the replies!
BA might extend it - worth asking
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:17 am
Original Poster

The plot thickens - Amex told me the voucher expired March 2019, BA assures me its 2020 - so I have time to use it....*spends the next few hours on ba.com.....
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
absent the 2-4-1 what else could you do with the 140k + 17k avios? (and I assume your partner would also earn avios as well so throw that into the mix)
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:19 am

Iíd be very tempted to do this but only you can decide. A few more things to put into the mix...

Even if you lose the voucher, if you can earn one again easily then Iíd argue it has limited or no value.

Youíll earn 280TPs which is most of a Bronze card or almost half way to silver. This may have some value to you.

I wouldnít completely give up on getting F on your outbound cash booking. Two scenarios come to mind: (i) If the cash booking is for the same flight as the redemption, thereís some chance the cancelled reward seat would become available again so you could upgrade for c.30-40k Avios for the two of you.
(ii) Reward availability could open up between now and flight date. The BA redemption finder website is your friend here.

If it helps, I had a similar scenario to you but am sticking with the redemptions as ours was an open-jaw F outbound/ CW return. The discounted fares are only for straightforward returns so we would have incurred extra costs and probably needed an extra day of holiday to make things work on the cash fare. We also had F on outbound and Iím not willing to risk the upgrade not being available were we to cancel as we are travelling out with friends who are on a separate booking but in F.
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I am now just with a Gold Amex so would have to apply and work quite hard to get another voucher- its all personal spend so the £10k would probably be about 6 months - but its a good point - barring a dramatic devaluation no big deal to wait until next summer to use all those avios and a new 2-4-1. My TP year runs out in October and I am far off renewing gold so the TPs would be a waste. Still, it may make still sense - especially with your point of a chance of an avios upgrade to F on the outbound. (*Must remember a spell in the First lounge followed by CW on whats actually a pretty short flight is still pretty good!!)
Old Aug 14, 19, 12:25 pm

Thanks, I am now just with a Gold Amex so would have to apply and work quite hard to get another voucher- its all personal spend so the £10k would probably be about 6 months - but its a good point - barring a dramatic devaluation no big deal to wait until next summer to use all those avios and a new 2-4-1. My TP year runs out in October and I am far off renewing gold so the TPs would be a waste. Still, it may make still sense - especially with your point of a chance of an avios upgrade to F on the outbound. (*Must remember a spell in the First lounge followed by CW on whats actually a pretty short flight is still pretty good!!)
Someone may correct me if Iím wrong but I thought if you cancel a 2-4-1 booking after youíve cancelled the BA Amex then you donít get the voucher back.
Old Aug 14, 19, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club; U2 Flight Club; Hilton Honors; IHG
Iíve cancelled and got a voucher back when the underlying Amex was long dead. This was last year and the IT might have been improved since then.
Old Aug 14, 19, 12:51 pm

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
The plot thickens - Amex told me the voucher expired March 2019, BA assures me its 2020 - so I have time to use it....*spends the next few hours on ba.com.....
its not possible for the expired date to be March 2019 as you would have had to travel the outbound leg prior to the expiration date.

Search this Thread