Thank you BA

Old Aug 14, 19, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Thank you BA

they've had a lot of flack recently. From me too at times. But a couple of things worth sharing - my mum is critically ill and I needed to change the last leg of a trip to make sure I could meet with her palliative care team and spend some time with her. AmEx told me it would be nearly 4000Ä to alter the date. One direct message to their twitter team (once I had flown the first leg) and it was done. Extremely empathic phone call from them and an assurance that should anything change again I just need to call and they will rebook once again for free. No asking for doctorís letters or proof. Just kindness and understanding. And then a follow up dm reiterating that they are there for me.
Second thing, was on the 171 to PIT yesterday in 6K. At LHR showing my passport they told me my seat had been changed to 1A. I got a bit stroppy (long day) and said I really donít want to change my seat but finally just went with it, apologised and said no problem and got my new boarding pass. Which was lucky because they had swapped the aircraft to a 787-9 due to a medical emergency in Calgary and put me into First (not sure why the agent didnít tell me this before, probably because I was a bit short with her or maybe she just didnít clock it). Service was impeccable, crew a delight, food amazing.
I know they fall short at times but the last few days has really shown me the best in them.
Old Aug 14, 19, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Small positives amidst some heavy negatives carry a lot of weight.

Best wishes to your mother.
Old Aug 14, 19, 8:28 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Shame it's not like that for everyone. My parents had a very different experience when her brother passed away very suddenly . BA insisted the only option was to purchase new tickets in WTP, £1500 one way.
Old Aug 14, 19, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by no longer atc View Post
Shame it's not like that for everyone.
It really is the inconsistency which we all dislike. We'd all love to have the original poster's experience, but this is so rare. For example, my friend, who rarely flies BA, got upgraded on a quiet flight back from Houston from Premium Economy to First! It was his birthday, somehow they found out and when he boarded he was asked...to turn left. They upgraded him on the plane.

Nothing like that has ever happened to me, despite a) flying BA for years and b) being Gold.

Was happy with him, don't get me wrong, but happy through gritted teeth. ie. why do these good deeds happen to some, but not for all? Perplexes me. I'm not even sure he's flown BA since that flight either as he always goes Norwegian now.
thebigben likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Certainly puts all the moans and groans into perspective....
T8191, alanjhett and thecoogan like this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 12:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by no longer atc View Post
Shame it's not like that for everyone. My parents had a very different experience when her brother passed away very suddenly . BA insisted the only option was to purchase new tickets in WTP, £1500 one way.
Once again, it is indeed the sheer inconsistency that so often shapes people’s wider perspective.

Absolutely delighted that things went so well for the OP at such a very difficult time. Full credit where credit is due : BA clearly stepped up here and went the extra mile to help alleviate what must have been significant stress and emotional pressure. For other passengers faced with testing circumstances a similar request can, sadly, fall on deaf ears.
Old Aug 14, 19, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by chriswiles View Post
.....They upgraded him on the plane....
Iíve seen unofficial upgrades happen, and Itís a great thing that crew can do, but donít tell Alex.
alanjhett and abersoch3254 like this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 1:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post

Once again, it is indeed the sheer inconsistency that so often shapes people’s wider perspective.
Trying to tread carefully here, but there was a substantial difference between the two cases, one where the passenger appears to have contacted BA at the first opportunity, the other where there was a no-show involved. And that's accepting that this was a difficult situation for all concerned. So yes, they were treated differently.
Old Aug 14, 19, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
I had a similar situation to the OP. Had to change a number of flights due to ill health. My doctor said I wasn't fit to fly. I called BA and they allowed me to rebook my flights at any time during the next 12 months, no extra charge, also flights for my mother who was travelling with me. Incredibly sympathetic and helpful. I did send a doctor's letter to them but this was easy through a dedicated website.
alanjhett likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
To the OP, glad that you had a positive experience and wishing you all the best at what must be a very difficult time. Remember to take time to look after yourself too & push back on unreasonable travel / work demands during this time.

i have a story which Iíll post one day in which BA were very helpful & bent all the rules to get me home following a bereavement. Each time Iíve dealt with the loss of a parent I have had my faith in humanity restored by Ďrandom acts of kindnessí and people putting themselves out to help in a way I had not known before.
alanjhett and Hilde like this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 12:37 am

Glad they were accommodating for you. I tried to fly out and see my best friend last year before she died to breast cancer and she ended up passing the day before my award flight. BA told me tough luck and never gave me back my miles or allowed me to push the flight back for the funeral. Chased it for 2 months and over a dozen calls before eventually giving up. I even offered up a death certificate. I absolutely loathe BA customer service based on that experience alone.
Old Aug 15, 19, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
30K sorry to hear your problem and so sorry you never got to see your friend before they passed away.

As for your issue I am not sure why you didn't get your Avios back.

An Avios redemption flight can be cancelled up to 24 hours before the outbound departure.

Once you have flown the outbound flight, you cannot cancel your return. More precisely, you can cancel it but you wonít get anything back! You can change the date and time of your return Avios flight, however, as long as Avios seats are available and you are willing to pay the £35 change fee.