Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two worlds - BA in South Africa (Comair)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Two worlds - BA in South Africa (Comair)

After a late wake-up and a missed flight on Mango this morning I was stuck in CPT needing to get to JNB, and managed to snag a last minute Avios booking on BA in Y for the 9am flight. I've flown BA in SA pretty often in the past, but still was impressed today and it's astounding how different the service is compared to European short-haul operations.

Friendly service, complimentary hot breakfast with two choices (chicken or vegetarian), full drinks service (including alcohol on the afternoon flights), including another offer of a drink after top of descent (pro-actively from crew while passing by, no one in my row had asked nor took her up on her offer). Brisk flight with tailwinds, so an on-time arrival despite a late departure. Unfortunately bus gates on both sides.

One wonders why BA can do it here but not in Europe. To be clear, there are five major short-haul operators in SA, and only one full-service competitor (South African Airways).
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:30 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Y class...

ETA - Snidey edit SH...
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Y class...
Yes sorry, this was in Y, I guess to Europeans it sounds like J
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
One wonders why BA can do it here but not in Europe.
Does any airline do it in Europe for a 2 hour flight in Y?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I've flown BA in SA pretty often in the past ...
Then you will have noticed all of the subtle changes that have progressively taken place over the years. The direction of travel is the same as in Europe. The cost structures there (and it's Comair's that matter, not BA's) and the state of the competitive environment mean that Comair is at a different point on the timescale from mainline BA in Europe. That's what is superficially noticeable. But changes are afoot there as here.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
I've done the BA Comair JNB - CPT - JNB a couple of times in recent weeks. They are having fleet issues so it was a (different) white coloured plane each time. All bar 1 boarding/dis-embarking was via bus. The checked baggage at JNB took 50 minutes to arrive after the bus! So definitely not the solid brand it was just a couple of years ago.
However, indeed, the onboard economy service was good. I got a passable bite of food each time, the red wine was okay but no G&Ts! The lounges remain as excellent.

All-in-all my experiment to move back from Biz to Economy went well, even on a full flight. As with BA mainline in Europe the Club cabin has become a very weak proposition and I don't need the tier points .
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Then you will have noticed all of the subtle changes that have progressively taken place over the years. The direction of travel is the same as in Europe. The cost structures there (and it's Comair's that matter, not BA's) and the state of the competitive environment mean that Comair is at a different point on the timescale from mainline BA in Europe. That's what is superficially noticeable. But changes are afoot there as here.
That’s true in the sense that ba in the 90s was already not ba in the 70s but the lag between the two is still very significant. Domestic SA flights are also vastly more competitive than in the U.K. and so far at least SA and BA still want to compete on quality to justify cost premia over their own low cost subsidiaries.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by orbitmic

That’s true in the sense that ba in the 90s was already not ba in the 70s but the lag between the two is still very significant. Domestic SA flights are also vastly more competitive than in the U.K. and so far at least SA and BA still want to compete on quality to justify cost premia over their own low cost subsidiaries.
Recently I have only done domestic SA flights in business, both Comair and SAA. The SAA soft product was poor and the Comair soft product was on a par with CE. Competition in SA has not produced a better business product for me than SH ex UK.
LCY8737 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rubecula
Recently I have only done domestic SA flights in business, both Comair and SAA. The SAA soft product was poor and the Comair soft product was on a par with CE. Competition in SA has not produced a better business product for me than SH ex UK.
How was the hard product compared to CE?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:21 am
Suspended

The highlight of flying BA within ZA domestically are the Slow Lounges IYAM.

Yeah, the on-board product is alright but so is SAA's.
acucobol likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:25 am

Slow lounges are excellent. Always look forward to paying them a visit when travelling within SA.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
How was the hard product compared to CE?
Similar, but I think it was 3 2 across but both times I was in a 2.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
One wonders why BA can do it here but not in Europe.
.... because it's not BA...?

Comair uses BA livery etc but it's not owned by BA (I think BA may, at most, have a minority stake - but not even sure about that).
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by mec72
(I think BA may, at most, have a minority stake - but not even sure about that).
BA owns through Britair Holdings Ltd an 11.5% interest in Comair - info taken from Comair Annual Financial Statements.

I am also a shareholder
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:50 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Does any airline do it in Europe for a 2 hour flight in Y?
Yes some European airlines offer a full hot breakfast for a 2hr flight in Y with full bar service. Some airlines offer 2 bar services in Y on 90 minutes flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.