Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why all the hate for BA ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Moaning is a British past time and Britain’s institutions take the brunt:-

​​​​​​— MPs are all lazy, overpaid psychopaths in it for themselves.
- The BBC is a shadow of its former self and we pay for the privilege through the over-inflated fee.
- The NHS, whilst a national treasure, is full of managers who are paid to do bugger all, is targets focused and the nurses don’t care any more.
- BA is a flying pension fund full of overpaid surly staff who can’t afford to retire or go elsewhere & who are always on strike & were nasty to Virgin 20+ years ago.
- The railways....

In Britain, we grumble because we care...
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Presumably, with the current level of IAG profits, the old truism that BA was a large pension fund with a little airline attached no longer applies??
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
People get emotionally involved because we all saw something that was a good airline and something that we love deteriorate. If you think that the economy fares have gotten any lower than you are kidding youself. They have gotten higher and cheap fares are actually hard to find. We are treated like a hindrance by bored and unsatisfied cabin crew down the back and the seats are becoming smaller and smaller
But you are not married to BA. Go and pick one of the alternatives: If you want avios, across the Atlantic AA is pretty good, eastbound QR/CX are decent. If you don't care about them points, there are other fantastic airlines (I love SQ) who are frequently cheaper, frequently better, and frequently more frequent.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond (Lifetime Star Gold), Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by LCY8737

But you are not married to BA.
This is the key point - which is where we often all fail in our different relationships in life. The exact same applies for jobs. People get emotionally connected to their job just like it is a marriage. Meaning that they cannot move on to a new one when it is time (like bad pay, bad boss etc.) but instead expect things like loyalty and reciprocity in "feelings" from their job.

Svantevit
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
From a psychological point of view, the ‘why do people react emotionally to an airline it’s silly’ argument does not hold water for a minute.

All reactions are emotional (including by the way reacting to the way other people react!) including the most ‘rational’ of them. In other words, science has moved away from the false distinction between rational and emotional for over 20 years and long accepted that it is emotionality (and so called affective intelligence) that determines the underlying outlook through which rationality operates and that conversely, emotionality follows from rational cognition and evaluation.

There really is no mystery to solve here and the ‘rational’ Are just as emotional as the angry and happy types.

Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
The main reason I can’t stand BA; they force me to pay for a terrible sandwich on a 4 hour flight! Unacceptable, at least let me pay for a hot meal!
allturnleft and ENTP like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: American Airlines
BA’s decline in stature is all part of the race to the bottom. For various reasons too numerous to detail here, air travel has become a “product” and referred to as such. This semantic change is indicative of the attitude both of the purveyor and and consumer of the “product.” The product is now mass produced and managed much like the delivery of any other product on any other shelf, continued cost reductions, quality tests to see how much the public will tolerate, and that race to be the cheapest volume competitor. And the traveling public mostly accepts and perhaps even desires it. As soon as an airline pops up from the swamp offering cheap flights from anywhere to anywhere else, they surge to buy the tickets (see WOW et al.) Then the airline collapses or limps along, but people still go for the seats. A carrier looking to offer a better experience must compete in this environment, receiving less support from a paying customer because the cheap seats are many many in the air and using up those gates and filling seats with customers willing to accept what’s offered and pay not one pfennig more.

I don’t have a “solution” because the problem is simply human nature. Been this way forever. Something that must be accepted and managed as best one can, making choices that are best for the individual in each case.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Flight44
The product is now mass produced and managed much like the delivery of any other product on any other shelf, continued cost reductions, quality tests to see how much the public will tolerate, and that race to be the cheapest volume competitor. And the traveling public mostly accepts and perhaps even desires it.
Very true. What I find amazing is that people (normal ones, not FTers) tend to be very price sensitive when it comes to air travel. It is almost as if transportation from A to B is it and the how is not considered. The surprising element is that this does not transfer to other travel elements (e.g. hotels have a broad range of products ranging from hostels to the Four Seasons).
ung1 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
In Britain, we grumble because we care...
I think you have summarised very succinctly in your post above, IAMORGAN, how some people react, hoping or wishing that what they care about could be better.

Im not British but I’m been here long enough to see that it’s not expressing hate, but rather a regret for what is lost and a hope for better things. Perhaps naive hope that someone is actually listening within BA?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:46 pm

I have no status with BA and no allegiance to the brand. However, I have family in the US and fly over about 4 times a year and try my hardest to use one if not two AMEX 2-4-1 vouchers. That is the only reason I use BA consistently. The current BA CW product with its 8 across configuration With its used and abused not so flat beds is pretty dire but they do undoubtedly have a very unassailable monopoly from London. Of course if an airline with 1-2-1 configuration with Singapore airlines service and German efficiency was available, we would all be flying it. However, I do feel that the use of the company name British Airways should now be forfeited as it is no longer the British flagship it once was. SCA would be my suggestion for a rebranding (for Spanish Consortium Airline). Now if Boris decided to fund Heathrow expansion by re-auctioning Transatlantic slots, maybe, just maybe, we would see some genuine competition and BA complacencies could become a thing of the past
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:06 pm

Very true. What I find amazing is that people (normal ones, not FTers) tend to be very price sensitive when it comes to air travel. It is almost as if transportation from A to B is it and the how is not considered. The surprising element is that this does not transfer to other travel elements (e.g. hotels have a broad range of products ranging from hostels to the Four Seasons).
My own observations coincide with yours. I have often heard people bragging about how little they pay for a ticket, such as the sub USD$100 flights that are about 1,000miles each way. Then the same person complains about the conditions of the flight, small seat, no service, no beverage, pay for all the details, and so forth. It’s almost comical. Rather, it is quite sad. They know not what they say.
LCY8737 and TTmex like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum

This is undoubtedly true. I understand it a bit myself as there's a limit for what I'll tolerate in terms of price, but I will pay more for quality and convenience (convenience being LHR rather than LGW) Surely that remains viable, especially from Heathrow? Maybe it's just flying being commonplace that leads to hypersensitivity from home on price.

Ryanair might be cheap, but I find them horrendous and actively avoid them regardless of how cheaply they will flyme. Unfortunately the model works very well and it's not surprising that elements of it are copied.

You would however hope that better quality and service could differentiate and be worth paying for, even if that won't be for everyone.
LCY8737 and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
This is undoubtedly true. I understand it a bit myself as there's a limit for what I'll tolerate in terms of price, but I will pay more for quality and convenience (convenience being LHR rather than LGW) Surely that remains viable, especially from Heathrow? Maybe it's just flying being commonplace that leads to hypersensitivity from home on price.

Ryanair might be cheap, but I find them horrendous and actively avoid them regardless of how cheaply they will flyme. Unfortunately the model works very well and it's not surprising that elements of it are copied.

You would however hope that better quality and service could differentiate and be worth paying for, even if that won't be for everyone.
I also hope that better quality and service would still exist. Sadly, I see a consistent and steady decline across the carriers. But again, the traveling public must bear some of the responsibility. Most will not pay even slightly more. For example, the all business class airline startups have mostly failed. There’s the one running out of Paris (I might have that wrong), but they struggle.

I am willing to pay more for quality service and frequently attempt to do so. I also strive to be a good passenger by limiting my carry-on luggage to very reasonable size, following the rules to the letter, and being kind and helpful to others. However, I look forward to the future when I travel less by air.
Bohinjska Bistrica likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I don't see any hate for BA; on the contrary I think many posters on here will defend BA. I think most on here would accept that there has been a deterioration in the quality of BA across the cabins, albeit there remains a vibrant debate as to whether 1) this is largely reflective of the industry as a whole and that BA is largely on a par with its competitors and 2) whether BA has actually turned something of a corner and demonstrated some improvement in certain areas of late.
TTmex likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:25 pm

Simple... Alex Cruz is running BA as a low cost airline, while pretending that it is still a full service airline.
For my latest trip. the onboard service was good and I like the new first class soft product, but there were delays, forced overnight, put up in a motel, and being denied EU261 because of some bogus reason. Then on the return, they manage to lose my bag on a simple SFO to London flight with no connection. I found out that they left a container of bags in SFO. Then they failed to return to me in two days because of the IT meltdown the next day. They were not able to update the baggage system, and my baggage never caught up with me. The only saving grace was that they delivered my suitcase before me arriving home.
Just nothing seemed to run right with BA these days!
Carfield
MiraculousM, mpkz and ermis177 like this.

Last edited by Carfield; Aug 13, 2019 at 6:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.