Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Delay increases on Flightstats, disappears on BA.com — who is right?

Old Aug 12, 19, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?

It seems the delays over the North Sea are continuing today — both afternoon flights LHR-CPH this afternoon were showing weather-related delays. I'm booked on the later one, which initially had a delay of 21 minutes (on BA.com as well as on Flightstats). I then got an SMS from Tripit informing me that the delay had increased to 2 hours. However, on BA.com, the previous delay has now disappeared. What gives? Has BA decided to deploy another aircraft but not disseminated this information? I'm quite keen to find out, because if the delay really is two hours, I'll miss my train on the other side, so in that case I'm minded to beg the check-in agent to put me and my suitcase on the earlier flight (current delay: 64 minutes).
Old Aug 12, 19, 6:19 am

Sometimes it’s worth getting information from the horse’s mouth.
Old Aug 12, 19, 6:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The operating carrier of the flight should always be the source of information.

There are any number of reasons why third-party sites may not have up-to-date information. The most significant is that BA may well be subbing in another aircraft but has not completed the process. It updates its own systems but does not publish new data until a new tail number is actually assigned.
Old Aug 12, 19, 6:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Flightstats is sourcing their data from a large number of data sources. They will have their own logic as to how to prioritise conflicts between those data sources. I'd stick with Often1's recommendation and use the operating carrier's data wherever possible.
Old Aug 12, 19, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
During the hour when I travelled to the airport, BA.com seemed to trail the information available in Flightstats, fluctuating wildly between 0, 20, 40, and 120 minutes' delay. By the time I arrived, it was down to 20 minutes, but the kind check-in agent agreed to send me on my way with the earlier flight just in case.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: