Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong airport periodically closed landside to airside - limited BA Ops, ongoing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong airport periodically closed landside to airside - limited BA Ops, ongoing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:19 am

I think good option is going to Macau and try take plane from where if Your airline can reroute You
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Good luck to everyone caught up in this. Stay safe, guys.
althes, squawk, nancypants and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by stevie
PLA are already in position mate.

seems silly for them to move in by land with the whole world watching...

much better to fly PLA troops in by planes from bases far, far away from Hong Kong.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
contacted BA on both their UK and HK numbers and was told that I should still head to the airport.(flying into HKG)

that was just 3 minute ago.... do they just have outdated information?

What should I do? HELP!!!!!
'
My flight to HKG appears to be taking off as normal, according to the gate agents. (but door has not closed yet). If my BA flight from HKG to LHR is not going to operate, should I ask to get off the flight to HKG right now?

Divert to MFM and take a ferry to HK?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: Meh
Leaders calling for dispersal now...good news for everybody...point has been made.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:05 am

Flightradar24 has BA32 running but 28 cancelled. Neither showing as cancelled on EF. Not sure how acurate this is.

Last edited by gustavmahler; Aug 12, 2019 at 4:11 am
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
All evening departures from HKG are cancelled by the airport.
They have enough trouble managing planes on the ground and the arriving ones And their staff cannot arrive at the airport by public transport.

Thw big birds blocked in HKG will have consequences for departures from LHR on 13 August.

There is always the possibility that BA32 and 28 will be rescheduled in early morning of 13/8. But with the problems in getting to the airport, for pax and staff that might be difficult. And crew might time out

Last edited by brunos; Aug 12, 2019 at 5:17 am
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:34 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
A number of posts have been removed which are sensationalist, at best highly speculative and certainly not appropriate for the BA forum.

There will be members, possibly new, who will find this thread and hope for practical updates and advice. This is an opportunity for FT to show its very best, helpful, knowledgeable side. Let's not waste that chance by taking the discussion down different avenues, please.

For those who wish to keep abreast of the HK situation generally, there is a thread running in the Hong Kong forum in the Destination section.

NWIFlyer
Moderator - BA forum
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
door just closed and we are pushing back.... gotta turn my phone off now...

anybody with advice, please post.... I'll check when the inflight wifi is turned on... THANKS!!!!!
We still have no clue where you are besides that you are not in HKG. This makes it really difficult to give you any advice besides "Don't panic"
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:13 am

Is the train to CAN any good for anyone? It's pretty quick, but you'll need a visa (I think - I've done it the other way but had a Chinese visa). Don't know whether that's running, though. Some oneworld options from there.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Routing via Macau

Originally Posted by Garimi
I think good option is going to Macau and try take plane from where if Your airline can reroute You
Macau still has no scheduled LH routes. But LHR - MFM can be ticketed on Philippines airlines via Manila.

Macau is an easy airport to use and a taxi will cost about Ł10 from the ferry terminal in Macau or Ł15 from the bridge (HZMB). Several flights a day to MNL, PVG, PEK, BKK, TPE etc.

If looking to stay OW the other option would be QR/AY from CAN, But that will likely require a Chinese Visa.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:45 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
On ba.com, BA32 and BA28 are still showing as departing HKG on 12 Aug which is definitely not happening.

Do do you think BA might fly them back empty so that they’re in position for where they are meant to be on 13 Aug?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver,
I've got family stuck at HKG albeit flying LH. Are people sure you need a visa to cross to Guangzhou? Would it not come under the new 144 hour transit visa as you aren't returning to Hong Kong?
Also assuming EU261 won't apply here as its civil unrest so tell them to only stay in hotels they are willing to foot the bill for ?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by sxc
On ba.com, BA32 and BA28 are still showing as departing HKG on 12 Aug which is definitely not happening.

Do do you think BA might fly them back empty so that they’re in position for where they are meant to be on 13 Aug?
Why is it definitely not happening? If the flights leave LHR on the 12th they will not arrive at HKG until later in the day on the 13th.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by rapidex
Why is it definitely not happening? If the flights leave LHR on the 12th they will not arrive at HKG until later in the day on the 13th.
These are the flights from HKG on the 12th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.