Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong airport periodically closed landside to airside - limited BA Ops, ongoing

Hong Kong airport periodically closed landside to airside - limited BA Ops, ongoing

Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold

According to reports:

Hong Kong airport authority has announced that “all check in service for departure flights has been suspended. Other than the departure of flights that have completed the check in process and the arrival of flights that are already heading to Hong Kong – ALL OTHER FLIGHTS HAVE BEEN CANCELLED FOR THE REST OF THE DAY.” Members of the public are advised not to come to the airport.

BA.com yet to catch up with flight status. BA27 of 11 Aug (which departed LHR at 00:09 this morning) is about two hours out from HKG at the moment.

I wonder if tonight's outbounds will remain at LHR whilst the situation becomes clearer, rather than risk diversions or aircraft getting stuck at Chek Lap Kok unable to depart if operations remain suspended.

Last edited by paulieuk; Aug 12, 2019 at 2:35 am
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Both BA flights out of HKG tonight showing as cancelled on the HKIA website.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 12, 2019 at 2:41 am Reason: Add CX/VS flight status
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
Both BA flights out of HKG tonight showing as cancelled on the HKIA website.
contacted BA on both their UK and HK numbers and was told that I should still head to the airport.(flying into HKG)

that was just 3 minute ago.... do they just have outdated information?

What should I do? HELP!!!!!
'
My flight to HKG appears to be taking off as normal, according to the gate agents. (but door has not closed yet). If my BA flight from HKG to LHR is not going to operate, should I ask to get off the flight to HKG right now?

Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s quite possible the cancelled flights from tonight will position empty to LHR.

What to do depends on where you are? If it’s somewhere with good connectivity to LHR you might be better served working an alternative routing (especially if you have a TA to manage BA for you).
Prospero likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
It’s quite possible the cancelled flights from tonight will position empty to LHR.

What to do depends on where you are? If it’s somewhere with good connectivity to LHR you might be better served working an alternative routing (especially if you have a TA to manage BA for you).
I am in HK now and I believe it is nigh on impossible to even get to the airport.
Also given health and safety concerns I would be suprised if air crew went to airport. HK is a bit of a tinder box (I was caught up in the protests in Wan Chai and saw the police actions and honestly it was dangerous).
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter

sorry... I should I have made it clear... I'm sitting on a plane that's about to take off for HKG. Doors are about to close.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
The report I quoted, suggests that the HK authorities are letting aircraft already airborne and bound for HKG to continue and land, which by implication means no new take-offs to HKG will happen today.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
sorry... I should I have made it clear... I'm sitting on a plane that's about to take off for HKG. Doors are about to close.
If you could let us know which airport you are currently at, the hive will set into action and advise you of your options.

Best of luck
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
If you could let us know which airport you are currently at, the hive will set into action and advise you of your options.

Best of luck

door just closed and we are pushing back.... gotta turn my phone off now...

anybody with advice, please post.... I'll check when the inflight wifi is turned on... THANKS!!!!!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: BA GGL
In which case I'm so lucky to have flown last night.

What's the reasoning? China pushing on its airspace due to strikes, protests causing problems? It was loud but peaceful there yesterday.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:01 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The violence on Sunday night has inflamed the protesters, and they have swarmed the airport. Had this messaged passed on by someone who just landed in HKG:

"Just landed at HKIA. Protest extends from arrivals all thr way the slope where you get the busses. It's like a maze trying to get through. Roads to airport jammed. Police are controlling traffic on the roundabout as none of the busses can get out of the airport terminus otherwise."
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by sxc
The violence on Sunday night has inflamed the protesters, and they have swarmed the airport. Had this messaged passed on by someone who just landed in HKG:

"Just landed at HKIA. Protest extends from arrivals all thr way the slope where you get the busses. It's like a maze trying to get through. Roads to airport jammed. Police are controlling traffic on the roundabout as none of the busses can get out of the airport terminus otherwise."
door closed 5 minutes ago..

we pushed back... before the tug was disconnected, the pilot announced that we were going nowhere..

He said "Hong Kong is closed" (sure hope he meant just the airport, not the entire Hong Kong? )

Apparently the tug is going to remain connected and tow us to a remote stand for parking. Then buses will come to take us back to the terminal. Some other plane is waiting to use our gate.

Edit: looks like the pilots and/or airline operations realized how ridiculous that idea was... we didn't even finish pushback.... plane is moving back to the gate to let us off.

Last edited by Vangrovsky; Aug 12, 2019 at 3:10 am
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I hope I am wrong, but the wording of the announcement on HKIA’s website could indicate that the police will move in at some point:

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/i...565255215067-2

’passengers are advised to leave the terminal buildings as soon as possible’..
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I hope I am wrong, but the wording of the announcement on HKIA’s website could indicate that the police will move in at some point:

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/i...565255215067-2

’passengers are advised to leave the terminal buildings as soon as possible’..
I sure hope so.. better to have just the police move in... the alternative is probably way worse....

What if they are suspending airport operations to allow PLA troops to fly in tonight?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
I sure hope so.. (just the police, that is) What if they are suspending airport operations to allow PLA troops to fly in tonight?
PLA are already in position mate.
seawolf and nancypants like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.