Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

US check-in agents bend the passport--how to deal with it?

Old Aug 12, 19, 12:01 am
Original Poster

This happens when checking in at the counter at US airports not just when flying BA. But the last few times it happened to me was on BA and AA flights so I thought it's fair to ask the question here.

In the US, the check-in agent frequently bends the passport so that the data page of the booklet remains open. I guess it's more convenient for them to enter data that way. It's no big deal if the bending is done a few times. But after a few dozen bends, the passport binding or laminate starts to get affected. I have had immigration officers complaining to me my passport was in bad shape. But it's not my fault!

So how do you suggest dealing with it? It seems like a somewhat aggressive move to advise the check-in agent to not bend your passport before handing it over..
Old Aug 12, 19, 12:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have no qualms about asking them in advance not to stick baggage receipts on my passport... the grey glue build up used to irritate the hell out of me!!
jfallesen likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by BAECAddict View Post
I have no qualms about asking them in advance not to stick baggage receipts on my passport... the grey glue build up used to irritate the hell out of me!!
WD 40 and a cotton bud removes the glue and does not damage the passport(do not spray the passport just the cotton bud)
Old Aug 12, 19, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by CeeGee View Post
WD 40 and a cotton bud removes the glue and does not damage the passport(do not spray the passport just the cotton bud)
Genius!! Now for bonus points, do you have any suggestions on how to replace the gold on the front that gets pulled off when a real plonker sticks the receipt on the front?!
As an aside (and now with real apologies to the OP for the thread drift towards general passport vandalism), one of the most annoying things about flying Virgin Atlantic is the stupid security stickers they insist on putting on your passport... what is the point?
JFX1764 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Canít you just ask them not to?

Personally I like the stickers and general wear and tear. Helps ensure you stand out from the once a years with shiny passports (though they are often in passport covers which are another bugbear of mine). 😉
Old Aug 12, 19, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post

Personally I like the stickers and general wear and tear. Helps ensure you stand out from the once a years with shiny passports (though they are often in passport covers which are another bugbear of mine). 😉
We all have our triggers! In actual fact I have become much less precious about mine since my water bladder disgorged its contents all over the inside of my skiing backpack thereby resulting in a soggy passport... it has survived another four years since then so perhaps that should reassure the OP about the robustness of British passports at least.
Old Aug 12, 19, 3:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, Asiana Diamond
The gold lettering on the front of my passport typically lasts for 12 months at most. I just put it down to poor craftsmanship and sweaty palms.
Old Aug 12, 19, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post

Hahah im intrigued as to why this is a bugbear of yours? I travel at least once a month requiring my passport and because of my awesome passport cover, mine still looks new. I like the gold lettering.
Old Aug 12, 19, 4:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Some transatlantic security people in Heathrow, including those from AA, like to stick a sticker on your passport to indicate they have asked you random and fairly pointless questions about your travel, work, and place of residence. They get quite upset if you remove the sticker and put it on anything else before you get to the boarding gate.... so I remove it shortly after boarding. The adhesive is far less tacky if removed quickly than if left for a long time, so the best way to deal with them is to clear your passport of them as soon as possible. Passport covers do not avail you.
Old Aug 12, 19, 4:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Some transatlantic security people in Heathrow, including those from AA, like to stick a sticker on your passport to indicate they have asked you random and fairly pointless questions about your travel, work, and place of residence.
Indeed, so unfortunately it is worth leaving a few of these tiny coloured stickers in place, it tends to shorten the process when they spot them.
justin_krusty and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Indeed, so unfortunately it is worth leaving a few of these tiny coloured stickers in place, it tends to shorten the process when they spot them.
Good tip!!

We have a few of those stickers, acquired at DUB. In future I shall ensure the gaily-decorated back cover is clearly visible.
Old Aug 12, 19, 5:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH GLD, IHG PLT
I found having 30 or so ICTS stickers stuck all over the back of my passport made the fairly pointless AA security questions asked at MAN to be expedited somewhat. The gold on the front lasts about 12 months but I am guilty or having my passport in my back pocket a lot meaning it has also taken the shape of my right bum cheek.

Surely if asked in the style "Please will you not bend it too much as the spine is about to burst," wouldn't be seen as too arsey?
nancypants and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 6:06 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by BAECAddict View Post
On my last passport I printed a 3cm x 2cm label, "DO NOT STICK BAGGAGE TAGS HERE" and stuck it on the back which stopped most of the staff although amazingly some still stuck the baggage tag on (almost directly over the label!!!!!). Happily things seem to have moved on and there doesn't seem any need for the label anymore.
Those small "document ok" stickers seem to have been replaced by a more automated approach too, so good riddance to those.
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 6:32 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
My passport is so tatty, I'm well beyond worrying about its appearance. It's in my front trouser pocket for take-off and landing, and all the time when I'm away overseas. The gold lettering is long gone and the cover scuffed. 'Well worn' would be an understatement.
Best description is probably that its like an old, dented and bruised car. Any new 'dent' just removes or covers up an older one
Old Aug 12, 19, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Bronze, IHG Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold
Any advice for scrubbing out the words "European Union"

nivsy, T8191 and Trident 3B like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: