Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

US check-in agents bend the passport--how to deal with it?

US check-in agents bend the passport--how to deal with it?

Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by dpfs
Any advice for scrubbing out the words "European Union"

Blue marker pen?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Indeed, so unfortunately it is worth leaving a few of these tiny coloured stickers in place, it tends to shorten the process when they spot them.
By now you must have every colour on your passport!
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:03 am

I never print my own boarding passes, so the baggage tag is usually stuck on the back of the last boarding pass of the set, leaving my passport clear. If I'm checking a bag, why waste my own ink and paper on something the airline will provide.
Twickenham and nivsy like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
For those of you complaining about the baggage tag on the back of passports, I hear you! I hate that too.

The sooner you peel them off, the less sticky residue is left there, so peel them off quickly and stick them on the back (or front...) of something else.
T8191, squawk, jfallesen and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
How do you think we feel, having EUROPEAN UNION on the front of our Jersey passports when we’re not even in the EU?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by BAECAddict
We all have our triggers! In actual fact I have become much less precious about mine since my water bladder disgorged its contents all over the inside of my skiing backpack thereby resulting in a soggy passport... it has survived another four years since then so perhaps that should reassure the OP about the robustness of British passports at least.
AS long as the bio page isn't damaged and specifically the picture then you will generally be ok.

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Hahah im intrigued as to why this is a bugbear of yours? I travel at least once a month requiring my passport and because of my awesome passport cover, mine still looks new. I like the gold lettering.
Because its pain when they have to be told again and again to take it out of the cover when checking in or when the passport is being checked at the gate or immigration.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
The gold lettering on the front of my passport typically lasts for 12 months at most. I just put it down to poor craftsmanship and sweaty palms.
I have noticed a definite decline in quality on my new (3 year old) passport vs the previous one. The previous one survived a decade of travel without the gold "leaf" rubbing off at all. In a single trip only a few months after I got the newer one, it had begun to rub off. I don't think I treated it any differently, either - it's not as if I went hiking in the jungle!

However, the worst part about the newer passports is that the personal information was moved from the inside of the robust back page to the flimsy penultimate page. It's noticeably more fiddly and time-consuming to present this to security or immigration officials, and I suspect is easier to damage the new ones by scrabbling around for the right page.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:34 am

With BA at Heathrow there should be no reason for a tag to be stuck to the back of your passport. If you drop a bag at a machine then it will spit out a till receipt style tag. If you drop a bag at Club check-in or First wing then the agents should be sticking the tags on to a way-finder leaflet where it says "attach bag tag here". If you aren't given a tag on this then you should insist on it if you don't want it stuck to the back of your passport.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I have never had a "way-finder leaflet" at the Heathrow F or Club check-in, and I almost always check a bag. Clearly only the better class of passenger gets those, not scruffs like me

I usually don't print my own boarding pass either (I like the punched-card-sized ones), and the staff usually stick the baggage tag to the boarding pass. That is where I want it so that is fine with me.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:32 am

Blue pen for getting rid of what you don’t want on the new French UK passport.
nancypants and Jammers20 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by T8191
How do you think we feel, having EUROPEAN UNION on the front of our Jersey passports when we’re not even in the EU?
Aspirational?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
Some transatlantic security people in Heathrow, including those from AA, like to stick a sticker on your passport to indicate they have asked you random and fairly pointless questions about your travel, work, and place of residence. They get quite upset if you remove the sticker and put it on anything else before you get to the boarding gate.... so I remove it shortly after boarding. The adhesive is far less tacky if removed quickly than if left for a long time, so the best way to deal with them is to clear your passport of them as soon as possible. Passport covers do not avail you.
Not really random and stupid questions, I call those the dumb criminal questions. They ask questions like that to catch people in lies. If you've come to a foreign country to work or do something illegal and you tell them you're visiting as a tourist they're counting on you not having a list of things you did while you were visiting. It's not small talk, it's one layer of security.
T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
I am no luddite, but I really think the UK ought to go back to passports covered with stiff blue card on the outer. Also with hand written details (I used to like inside where it said ’Occupation’ and I had ‘Government Service’ written next to it). Okay, if they must have biometrics on an inside page then so be it.

I still have my stiff blue passports from the 1970’s/80’s (with the corners now snipped) and they are still in much better shape than my ‘EU’ one issued only 3 years ago.

The blue ones went through both the Falklands War and first Gulf War unscathed – I dread to think how the newer ones would fare in those situations!
T8191, dpfs and Fatdickie like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: BA/American
It's not small talk, it's one layer of security.
It’s your physical response as much or more so than your answers
that a good ‘interrogator’ is counting on, especially when the bamboo
​​​​​​​slivers under the finger nails reach pay dirt!
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by squawk
I have noticed a definite decline in quality on my new (3 year old) passport vs the previous one. The previous one survived a decade of travel without the gold "leaf" rubbing off at all. In a single trip only a few months after I got the newer one, it had begun to rub off. I don't think I treated it any differently, either - it's not as if I went hiking in the jungle!

However, the worst part about the newer passports is that the personal information was moved from the inside of the robust back page to the flimsy penultimate page. It's noticeably more fiddly and time-consuming to present this to security or immigration officials, and I suspect is easier to damage the new ones by scrabbling around for the right page.
Bookmark them with an elastic band on the photo/bio page to one cover, and another one from visa page (if required) to the other cover - no scrambling for the right page required.
squawk likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.