Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avis car rental charging dispute when renting via BAEC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis car rental charging dispute when renting via BAEC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
PUCCI, I am aware that “Avis Central” sub-contracts to local operations, certainly in the USA. There may lie the cause of these local ‘peculiarities’, insufficiently monitored from the centre.

I know, for example, PHX is a sub-contracted operation (but good!).

i.e., it’s not Avis per se but instead other parties ... like BA’s IT ‘experts’
Ruth4325 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Just simply boycott them, period. I managed to get around Malta during the last few days on a series of taxi excursions plus public buses. Shared between us, the prices were fine. And searching around a bit we found a nice taxi driver we could do a deal with. As a result I didn't have to put up with all this car rental crap. I am through with it all big time, especially Avis. They should be shut down.

In the chaos that is Malta, I didn't have to worry once about parking (impossible at some of the beaches) or fender benders (the driving was a bit scary there). Quite appreciate that this wouldn't work in the USA of course, you really need a car there unless you're staying in somewhere like New York City.
T8191 and Ruth4325 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
I know it doesn’t help anyone that has had real problems, and don’t doubt each of these examples are real. But I’ve rented probably 100 times in the USA without serious issue. The thing is that no one comes along and posts about how they rented a car and everything went smoothly, so the weight of postings always paints an unrealistic picture of the likely experience. I don’t photograph the car, or record the mileage or any such games. I check the car as best I can, make sure any damage is recorded, and always wait and get the close out receipt. I can only remember one minor dispute, which concerned some scratches on a NYC rental, and that was quickly resolved. All my experiences have been good, with the exception of not always getting the car I’ve wanted, but have always got the listed or similar, or on occasion something better. Hertz, Avis, Alamo, National and Thrifty from memory, all been fine.

I do do wonder if a lot of these problems are location related, poor franchises, and locations where sharp practice is the norm.
T8191 and JustTheOne like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Car rental companies will always try to add mystery fees etc , why because they can get away with it, just think how many renters are charged, they may or not dispute,
most times, you want to get your rental and just leave, not really paying attention to the contract and all the very very small print.
I would juster to say that most renters may not have the time/energy to go after the extra charges after they get home... so at the end, the rental car companies will come out ahead.

Take pics of your rental, even though you may be tired, yes check everything , especially the contract you sign, and ask for a paper copy , plus an emailed copy, and yes keep a copy of your booking
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by BOH
To the OP, I too was overcharged at Stuttgart by Avis - I posted on here about it. It was with regards to the either a) paying Avis in advance for a full tank of fuel or b) returning it full, I never take their option of paying in advance as it is an utter rip off.
I used to think the same. However, recently I've realised that the pay-in-advance is a pretty good deal as long as you can time it so you've very little left in the tank when you return the car. Saves all the hassle of trying to find somewhere to fill up before returning, and no chance of getting charged twice
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:22 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I used to think the same. However, recently I've realised that the pay-in-advance is a pretty good deal as long as you can time it so you've very little left in the tank when you return the car. Saves all the hassle of trying to find somewhere to fill up before returning, and no chance of getting charged twice
Yes agreed, provided as you say that there is little left in the tank. I never seem to be in that situation though
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Its not just Avis. You hear all these same types of stories with just about any other car hire company.
To those that you hear who say that they were tired so didn't check the paperwork then you shouldn't be driving at that time then.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I am also of the 'buy a tank of gas' fraternity. OK, possibly not the cheapest option and I undoubtedly waste a couple or 3 gallons when returning the vee-hickle, but I really CBA to start looking around for a gas station when my focus is on getting to the airport, losing the car and getting bag-dropped on the way to airside. I tried to 'fill to full' once, at Savannah (SAV) - the only on-airport gas station was in the distance with no identifiable means of access from my side of the highway!
BOH and rapidex like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SonTech
Its not just Avis. You hear all these same types of stories with just about any other car hire company.
To those that you hear who say that they were tired so didn't check the paperwork then you shouldn't be driving at that time then.
I am not so sure anyone can paraphrase tired in that way.

Airports are always busy and seemly surrounded in everyone been in a rush. If you have managed to collect the bags and remembered your kids and have passed security without much que. Then you turn up at a desk to collect a car, which you ordered online on a nice peaceful sunday morning, to be told is not there. In reality you just want to get on the road.

The last thing you want or need to do is read line by line a document you really shouldnt need to.

If anyone has endured that and is in any state to make any financial decision, they are doing well. Personally I think many are at their most vulnerable.

Then once out of the maze of the airport you can relax and enjoy the county you are visiting.
masmadrid, strickerj and Ruth4325 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@ origin ... our next Avis pickup is at IAD. As a Preferred customer, the bus from the Terminal drops me off at the Avis Preferred booth, which I really don't need to do as I will have had a message telling me which bay my car is in. I just get in and drive to the exit gate, flash my Driver' Licence [details already in their computer system] and drive away. No place or time to read anything!
origin and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
Originally Posted by Ruth4325
When I pressed her on this she relented and gave me a quote for €30 per day for the full insurance
£30 per day?? This is truly unbelievable!

As others have said, you can purchase fully comp annual rental car hire insurance for circa £100. I personally have been using https://www.icarhireinsurance.com for many years, where Worldwide Plus Annual policy cost me £104, and even includes things like car tire damage or windscreen damage.

Never had issues with AVIS USA but then most of my bookings are in Hawaii or mainland US. I noticed Avis Europe is like a different company, I had an issue in Germany where they claimed I left the car with damaged tires. My recommendation: AMEX charge back, never failed me.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by origin
I am not so sure anyone can paraphrase tired in that way.

Airports are always busy and seemly surrounded in everyone been in a rush. If you have managed to collect the bags and remembered your kids and have passed security without much que. Then you turn up at a desk to collect a car, which you ordered online on a nice peaceful sunday morning, to be told is not there. In reality you just want to get on the road.

The last thing you want or need to do is read line by line a document you really shouldnt need to.

If anyone has endured that and is in any state to make any financial decision, they are doing well. Personally I think many are at their most vulnerable.

Then once out of the maze of the airport you can relax and enjoy the county you are visiting.
How about just reading the parts that matter, concerning what you have and haven't opted for?

If renting in the USA join Avis preferred which requires no spend or rentals, register your license and credit card, and just walk to the garage and collect your pre-arranged car with the options you chose on the booking, no interaction with up-selling staff, no moody changes to the PAI or other potentially unnecessary insurances, gas option chosen in advance.

Nothing is perfect, but some things can be done to make life easier. I appreciate it's harder with kids and bags, and what have, but it takes literally 5 minutes to walk slowly round the car and look for damage, and to read the pertinent bits of the rental agreement*.

*With Avis preferred you only get this at the exit, but it's easily checked and corrected with at worse one day of something you didn't agree to.

Not doubting the bad experiences, but poster saying 'Car rental companies will always...." are just plain wrong. Because they don't always do anything.
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
When you have a problem with a TA booking, the place to start is with the TA. BA Holidays can get all of this taken care of in one central office email which you can't do.

Avis has a nasty habit of placing people who use credit card chargebacks on their DNR list for future rentals.
While not disputing that this can be the case but just to try and add a datapoint: I have made a section 75 complaint against Avis relating to a hire in the USA which was successful. I have successfully subsequently rented both in the USA and elsewhere since.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dougzz
How about just reading the parts that matter, concerning what you have and haven't opted for?

If renting in the USA join Avis preferred which requires no spend or rentals, register your license and credit card, and just walk to the garage and collect your pre-arranged car with the options you chose on the booking, no interaction with up-selling staff, no moody changes to the PAI or other potentially unnecessary insurances, gas option chosen in advance.

Nothing is perfect, but some things can be done to make life easier. I appreciate it's harder with kids and bags, and what have, but it takes literally 5 minutes to walk slowly round the car and look for damage, and to read the pertinent bits of the rental agreement*.

*With Avis preferred you only get this at the exit, but it's easily checked and corrected with at worse one day of something you didn't agree to.

Not doubting the bad experiences, but poster saying 'Car rental companies will always...." are just plain wrong. Because they don't always do anything.
Well I normally stay overnight in a hotel room then travel on the next day

But having experienced leased cars, in a different format to how i now have them, I still photograph every car I pick up and return.

I wasnt talking about the US more spain and Italy.

But not everyone has the luxury of time and money and I was trying not to be altruistic, only for a few days.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum
Avis confirmed today they will refund the fuel charge and the mystery surcharge, so about £500 in total. I had all the evidence and they had none. Still leaves a very bad taste and will def purchase carhire excess insurance and prob try to avoid Avis in future (though sounds like all of them are prone to overcharging). A sector ripe for regulation if ever there was one.
Takiteasy and dougzz like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.