BUD Back-to-back?

Old Aug 10, 19, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

BUD Back-to-back?

Hi all,

This is my first post! Have been reading the forums for a while now and thank you all for the wealth of information and sorry for the people who have too much time for trolling instead of helping fellow travellers.

Iím travelling to HKG from BUD via LHR (BA/CX) on Wednesday 14th August. I do have a positioning flight from LHR - BUD to start my journey, but I was wondering what the back-to-back turnaround position was like in BUD? I couldnít seem to find it in any guide or previous post.

I have a flexible ticket for my positioning flight, so if back-to-back was a possibility, I would certainly prefer that to save time.

Also if back-to-back were to work, would CX accept my bags for the LHR - HKG sector (prior to my positioning flight and my actual flight back to LHR with BA) or can I store my bags, and then go through arrivals and re-check bags with CX after I arrive back? (I have roughly just under 2 hours).

Entire journey is in J and Iím BA Gold/OWE if that helps in anyway.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by AirbusA350; Jul 27, 20 at 11:34 am
Old Aug 11, 19, 12:28 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire Ambassador
AirbusA350, welcome to FT and the BA board.

You’re right in saying that there isn’t a mass of information on BUD, hence why we’re probably not confident enough to include it in the B2B guide with a rating.

There is an actual experience dating back to 2015 which suggests you’ll be fine on the turnaround:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25875155-post739.html

However, more recent experiences would be useful (and no doubt comforting!), so hopefully other members will be able to chip in here.

In terms of CX accepting your bag, you might be better off asking that specific question on our CX forum - most of the advice here is concentrated on all BA itineraries.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 27, 20 at 12:46 pm
Old Aug 11, 19, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador
What are your flight times? Note that BA status pax or premium fare customers do not have access to fast-track security at BUD. However, you're unlikely to be queuing for more than 20 minutes and I find it much quicker to go through Terminal 2A rather than 2B. You can use either security lane as both end up in the same place in the departure area.
Old Aug 11, 19, 3:06 am

Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Originally Posted by Crofton138 View Post
What are your flight times? Note that BA status pax or premium fare customers do not have access to fast-track security at BUD. However, you're unlikely to be queuing for more than 20 minutes and I find it much quicker to go through Terminal 2A rather than 2B. You can use either security lane as both end up in the same place in the departure area.
this is true only if you exit the terminal and check-in again (in which case you should check your luggage to HKG from BUD). transfers are also possible (although not very common since the demise of Malev) and should put you back in the non-Schengen section of the airport if you want to do B2B.
Old Aug 11, 19, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Has anyone had any recent transfer channel experiences? Does it still exist? If so, and if I indeed did choose to do a back-to-back, the arrival into BUD would be 18:15 and the departure back to LHR (which forms the actual ticketed partner of my trip to HKG) is at 19:10.
Old Aug 25, 19, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, SQ KF Silver; others
How did your BUD back to back go? Would you recommend it?

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 27, 20 at 12:47 pm Reason: Remove previous name of member for privacy reasons
Old Aug 25, 19, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Hi there! I didnít end up doing it as a B2B. But I can confirm there was a clear transfer area there and it wasnít busy. So in theory one should be able to go into the transfer area and come straight back into departures without passport control. This of course is provided you have your boarding pass handy and no checked in luggage But I didnít do it, so canít 100% be sure but it is very much possible. Theyíve refurbished the airport a bit as well from when I last there 2 years ago.
Old Aug 25, 19, 7:13 pm

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
I did a B2B at BUD in May 2018. Now bear the time frame in mind - things may have changed since then. I documented my experience in my trip report, the specific post relating to the B2B can be found here: https://billingham.net/post/17373648...ed-09-may-2018. I would imagine CWS will have some specific, more recent info about BUD, but back in 2018 it was a cinch for me. I woke the transfer staff up, so they are clearly not used to passengers doing transfers, but once I showed my incoming and outgoing boarding passes, all was fine.

Hope that helps!
Cymro likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 1:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
A did an out-and-back-in-again B2B last November at the end of a trip to Canada. That I wouldn’t recommend. As noted, unlike Finnair BA don’t (won’t?) pay for fast track security. The main channels were slow, around 20 mins as referenced above, but the crunch point was immigration where there was a large slowly moving queue. My husband and I were the last two passengers to scamper back on board and only then because we told the CSM we were coming straight back and she liaised with the gate staff for it be unofficially kept open for a couple of minutes after its scheduled closure time. We were lucky.

GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 1:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BA235 View Post
A did an out-and-back-in-again B2B last November at the end of a trip to Canada. That I wouldnít recommend. As noted, unlike Finnair BA donít (wonít?) pay for fast track security. The main channels were slow, around 20 mins as referenced above, but the crunch point was immigration where there was a large slowly moving queue. My husband and I were the last two passengers to scamper back on board and only then because we told the CSM we were coming straight back and she liaised with the gate staff for it be unofficially kept open for a couple of minutes after its scheduled closure time. We were lucky.
Can i just clarify, the above few posts seem to suggest there is a transfer channel which doesn't seem to involve immigration at all. Did you do a back to back and go all the way landside?
Old Aug 26, 19, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
[/left]
Can i just clarify, the above few posts seem to suggest there is a transfer channel which doesn't seem to involve immigration at all. Did you do a back to back and go all the way landside?
There is no immigration if you use the transfer channel. Only a separate transfer security. I believe the poster who is talking about BA not paying for fast-track and immigration is talking about a landside transfer. I can definitely say a landside transfer through BUD is definitely a no go. If you're lucky on the day, you might have a breeze through security but then there's immigration to contend with and no e-Gates as of August 2019 at BUD. There are signs for e-Gates, but they don't ever seem to be in use. However, transfer B2B, if security is manned is definitely doable from what I could see and from what other posters have said.
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 3:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by billinghamn View Post
I would imagine CWS will have some specific, more recent info about BUD, but back in 2018 it was a cinch for me. I woke the transfer staff up, so they are clearly not used to passengers doing transfers, but once I showed my incoming and outgoing boarding passes, all was fine.
I'm not aware of any changes, and as far as I can tell it's like BCN and MXP with an airside + security channel. When there are changes in this area, which is rare, I tend to just keep the main thread updated, otherwise the knowledge base gets scattered everywhere. When I go through an airport I mentally check out B2B, Fast Track, lounges.
yellow_peril likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA2MM, WY Gold, QF Gold, VA Platinum.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
as far as I can tell it's like BCN and MXP with an airside + security channel.
And somewhat like VCE too, I think, where one has to sometimes summon up the (rather nice) security person.
A
Old Aug 26, 19, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, SQ KF Silver; others
Thanks all. I took a punt and booked the BUD b2b.

Homewards from the US to LHR to BUD in CW/CE, then a separate ticket BUD-LHR-MAN in ET (connecing to the last LHR-MAN of the day). No checked luggage. I'll report back how it goes!

I wonder if the LHR T5-T3 and T3-T5 will end up being as much of a risk to the connections as the BUD b2b itself.

Unlike my outward journey (Understanding risks of ExEU) for this homewards journey, I can accept IRROPS forcing me into the next day if it goes wrong (although I'd prefer not too).
Old Aug 26, 19, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Sorry, I should perhaps have been clearer. Yes, I went landside and came back in again. There was no obvious person on or near the transfer channel. My previous reference to Finnair was because the previous week at the commencement of my trip (which was not a B2B) I routed from Budapest back home via Helsinki and the security aspect if entitled to fast track (as one is on AY) was a breeze. Obvious being intra-Schengen there was no immigration involved. It was only on the final leg of the trip, where I did a B2B to return to LHR, that the absence of fast track became relevant, and then immigration came into play too

Anyway, I made it, and so it is doable, but I wouldnít recommend it, just as in the B2B thread I advised against undertaking one at CTA, which is an airport I know better than BUD, but which I equally wouldnít like to risk.

Search this Thread