Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BUD Back-to-back?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manord
Thanks all. I took a punt and booked the BUD b2b.

Homewards from the US to LHR to BUD in CW/CE, then a separate ticket BUD-LHR-MAN in ET (connecing to the last LHR-MAN of the day). No checked luggage. I'll report back how it goes!

I wonder if the LHR T5-T3 and T3-T5 will end up being as much of a risk to the connections as the BUD b2b itself.

Unlike my outward journey for this homewards journey, I can accept IRROPS forcing me into the next day if it goes wrong (although I'd prefer not too).
Please do update how the B2B goes as BUD is a destination I’ll probably be going back to as cheap ex-EU J fares with BA, QR and CX. How long are your connections are LHR? I’m sure it won’t be an issue and as you said they’re all on a single protected ticket.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
I quite like using BUD as commencement on ex EU. However I use it only with AY heading far East and use BA as feeder usually go from LHR early afternoon flight and have a night at the airport hotel or down town depending on when flying into HEL. I know some.people could consider this a time loss issue but I quite enjoy it.. Be aware Budapest city can be very congested and travel to the airport in the morning needs to be coordinated allowing plenty of time.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
Originally Posted by AirbusA350

Please do update how the B2B goes as BUD is a destination I’ll probably be going back to as cheap ex-EU J fares with BA, QR and CX. How long are your connections are LHR? I’m sure it won’t be an issue and as you said they’re all on a single protected ticket.
I have 100 minutes between landing from IAH in T5 and takeoff for BUD in T3.

And then 90 minutes between landing from BUD in T3 and takeoff for MAN in T5.

Both should be readily doable but probably not much lounge time, if any.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 27, 2020 at 12:48 pm
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Typo

Originally Posted by manord

I have 100 minutes between landing from IAH in T5 and takeoff for BUD in T3.

And then 90 minutes between landing from BUD in T3 and takeoff for MAN in T5.

Both should be readily doable but probably not much lounge time, if any.

Yes, those connections will probably work. Assuming the LHR transfer are on the same tickets on both occasions . I guess you have two tix, UK-BUD-UK & BUD-IAH-BUD

But are you doing a B2B in BUD?

Last edited by onobond; Aug 27, 2019 at 4:00 am
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by onobond
Yes, those connections will probably work. Assuming the LHR transfer are on the same tickets on both occasions . I guess you have two tix, UK-BUD-UK & BUD-IAH-BUD

But are you doing a B2B in BUD?
Those LHR connections will be fine if incoming flights are on time, I've done both T5-T3 and T3-T5 many times. I probably won't have time for a shower between the IAH-LHR and the LHR-BUD though.

Yes, a b2b in BUD: LHR-BUD then BUD-LHR on same plane but different ticket.

Only BUD b2b on way home, outwards starting point is LIS not BUD.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 2:47 am

So, how did the BUD B2B go?

In short, it worked OK.

There is a well signposted 5mins walk from the plane to airside transfers, a security check (~15mins, see below), and then back into the departure gates area (~5mins walk to the gate). Total ~25mins. The BA flight was timetabled for 50mins between arrival and departure. In practical terms, I was sat near the front of CE so was off the aircraft quickly and I was back at the gate in time for the end of the group 1 boarding. There was obviously some slack in B2B timing, as boarding continued for ~5-10mins after I got to the gate.

Cautions:

1) The one small area where the signposting is maybe ambiguous is the passport control: don't go through the passport channels, go to the far right of the hall and there is a channel that feeds round the back into the transfers security check.

2) The transfer security was closed, with a (very friendly) guard who obviously wasn't expecting any customers. After considering whether I was a lunatic for trying to connect back onto the same aircraft, she made the necessary phone calls (including a later call to chase colleagues), and eventually (~10mins waiting) 5 colleagues turned up to open security, process me (~1min), and close it all down again.

3) The timing worked OK, but could be very tight if: (a) you were not sat near the front of the aircraft, or (b) you weren't lucky enough to get very friendly and cooperative security staff, or (c) you weren't fairly brisk on your feet.

4) The combination of a T3 destination for B2B and T5 for the longhauls was a nuisance but I never really felt my connections were at risk, only my lounge time :-)

Bottom line(s):
- Would I do BUD B2B for the outwards part of an exEU where the whole trip was at stake if it went wrong? No.
- Would I do BUD B2B again for the homewards leg of an exEU where the fallbacks were either the later BA flight home, or worst case a night in Budapest? Yes happily, but only for a decent saving compared to better B2B options.

(Have updated the B2B wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...tinations.html)

wanderingjock and Mzungu like this.

Last edited by manord; Sep 9, 2019 at 3:00 am
Old Jul 19, 2020, 9:00 am

Not BA related but I'm just wondering if you have any recent (also pre-Covid)i experience in BUD b2b all in terminal 2A (all Schengen flights).
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:01 am

Programs: BA gold
Has anyone done BUD as a B2B recently (post-Covid)? I fancy a holiday in Hawaii again.
DeltaFlyingProf and Dicksbits like this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Bumping this thread to see (per Stez) if anyone has attempted B2B in BUD.

I have booked to KOA and need to sort out my positioning. It is the return that may be problematic

Thank you!
Old Aug 27, 2022, 5:47 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
Bumping this thread to see (per Stez) if anyone has attempted B2B in BUD.

I have booked to KOA and need to sort out my positioning. It is the return that may be problematic

Thank you!

There's been quite a few posts about it including mine https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34438696-post3692.html

In summary you'll be fine and no change .... just make sure you have your boarding pass
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I was wondering about a BUD back to back too, but since I've never been there and I don't want extra stress at the moment, I decided against it... at least for the first run.
I hope there will be more reports from BUD this autumn, since from what I understood there will be a good number of Flyertalkers going to Hawaii from there
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
I've got three B2Bs planned at BUD for Nov, Dec and Jan. It's great if you can check in online before leaving LHR, but the problem I have seen in my last 5 trips is that I am never allowed to check in online! No idea why. I religiously use Verifly, upload docs on BA and whenever I ask I never get any answer as to why checking in online doesn't work.

I used to just ask at LHR to get my boarding card for the way back, but I hear that's problematic nowadays as well.

What are others' experience?
Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
Originally Posted by billinghamn
I've got three B2Bs planned at BUD for Nov, Dec and Jan. It's great if you can check in online before leaving LHR, but the problem I have seen in my last 5 trips is that I am never allowed to check in online! No idea why. I religiously use Verifly, upload docs on BA and whenever I ask I never get any answer as to why checking in online doesn't work.

I used to just ask at LHR to get my boarding card for the way back, but I hear that's problematic nowadays as well.

Last few B2B at bud July and Aug, I had no problem online checkin but printed cards at first Wing just in case.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 7:45 pm

1h turnaround

Doing BUD to West Cost in November.
Outward I’m taking morning flight so staying o/night at Ibis BUD.

On return taking transatlantic redeye then early flight to BUD, landing at 16:50.

Last return is 17:50 (likely same aircraft) but wondering if this is too tight or should I just stay o/night again or forget the last leg altogether…

Any wise advice?
Old Dec 5, 2022, 4:22 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by billinghamn

Mr B - how did you get on at BUD?

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.