Transfer from LHR T3 to LCY

Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold
Hi guys,

i will I’ll be arriving at LHR on BA 865 Arr. 0900 and depart from LCY BA1 Dep. 1235. There will be 3h35min of transit time. Google maps said usually it takes 1.30h. Any advices?

Tocket will al be in biz if it helps

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Aug 10, 2019 at 11:47 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:41 pm

You'll be making your own transfer (including bags) so class of travel makes no difference.

90mins sounds about right, something like Piccadilly line to Green Park, Jubilee line to Canning Town and the DLR to London City.

Otherwise prebook a transfer the traffic should be OK by then - plenty of companies but I've personally used BA Transfer a few times (no link to the airline!)

One thing to note is in winter the flight can end up diverted and cancelled, so keep an eye on the status. Last thing you'd want is to have gone to LCY and then be rebooked from Heathrow!
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Typical journey time is as Sammy G advised. By taking that route it will cost £5.10 on OYSTERCARD or contactless debit card.n when changing trains at Green Park follow the signs for WAY OUT and take the escalator the booking hall and the escalator to the Jubilee line. This is actually quicker than following the signs for the Jubilee Line. Average journey times for this are 82 minutes.

You can take the Heathrow Express to Paddington followed by Bakerloo Line to Baker Street, Jubilee Line to Canning Town then DLR to City Airport for an eye crunching £26 and the average journey time for this is 65 minutes.

Enjoy the BA1. There’s no lounge but you can grab a brunch or something else at Pilots Bar when you show your boarding card.
NFH likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Or just book an AA flight across the Atlantic. Those will depart from LHR T3 and make the easiest connection experience. Alternatively a BA flight from T5, not quite as seamless, but still not bad.

I would not recommend an airport change in London unless absolutely necessary. BA1 is a nice experience, way more civilised than standard club world, but not worth dragging bags across London.
orbitmic and Cymro like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
I live close to LCY and always allow two hours to get to LHR but it usually takes about 90 mins.

If you haven’t changed at Canning Town for the DLR before, it can be a bit confusing as the DLR platforms are above AND below the Underground platform.

The easier one to take is the platform above and you just go up the escalator and take the train going to Woolwich Arsenal which stops at City Airport.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That's a Sunday so a bit cheaper than KeaneJohn's quote since it will be off-peak, but also you need to check the TfL / Hex websites a few days before to see if engineering work is getting in the way. You won't be blocked but you may want to check with the Mornington Crescent experts in this forum for more forensic suggestions. Here is a very recent timed example offpeak, I had plenty of time so I could have done this quicker (e.g. walked the escalators up and then down at Green Park) and I had a bit of wait at Canning Town for the DLR. From arrival into the tube station, you need to allow 20 minutes or so, depending how busy the e-gates are - should be quiet at that time. Don't forget to touch out at LCY DLR, it's easily overlooked.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:30 am

It'll probably be 0930 by the time you tap into the piccadilly line, so the fare will be only £3.10.
Road journey likely to take longer.
Cymro likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
I've done LHR T3 to LCY quite a few times, the quickest being 1hr 10mins and the longest 1hr 50mins. My route was HEX from LHR to Paddington, Jubilee line to Canning Town and then DLR to LCY. That always seemed the quickest for me, usually in the middle of the day.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Crofton138
I've done LHR T3 to LCY quite a few times, the quickest being 1hr 10mins and the longest 1hr 50mins. My route was HEX from LHR to Paddington, Jubilee line to Canning Town and then DLR to LCY. That always seemed the quickest for me, usually in the middle of the day.
Hi,

How did you get from Paddington to the Jubilee line please as the Jubliee line does not go to Paddington?

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
If you are attempting this on public transport I’d use the CityMapper app. It’s a great way to plan a point to point route in London, gives you on—route guidance (like ‘get off at the next stop’) *and* it updates real-time for disruption events on the tube. Highly recommended.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

How did you get from Paddington to the Jubilee line please as the Jubliee line does not go to Paddington?

Regards

TBS
Sorry, you're absolutely right. My route was Bakerloo line from Paddington and change on to the Jubilee line at Waterloo. Been a while since I've done this!
Old Aug 11, 2019, 4:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Crofton138
Sorry, you're absolutely right. My route was Bakerloo line from Paddington and change on to the Jubilee line at Waterloo. Been a while since I've done this!
Best to change at Baker Street since the platforms adjoin. At Waterloo there is a long walk between platforms, albeit assisted with a travelator. Still, it's a case of using 4 trains but gaining about 10-15 minutes over the 3 train solution.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Best to avoid the HEX in the first place.

It adds an extra leg to the journey with all the inconvenience that entails as well as being more expensive.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:15 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
when changing trains at Green Park follow the signs for WAY OUT and take the escalator the booking hall and the escalator to the Jubilee line. This is actually quicker than following the signs for the Jubilee Line.
Is it really quicker? I've often been tempted to try it. There are two sets of escalators from the Jubilee Line to the ticket hall, but I suppose this route avoids waiting for often-congested lifts and a lot of walking.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by NFH
Is it really quicker? I've often been tempted to try it. There are two sets of escalators from the Jubilee Line to the ticket hall, but I suppose this route avoids waiting for often-congested lifts and a lot of walking.
Yes by encouraging people to walk along the the longer route of the tunnels and up the stairs or wait for the lifts it takes pressure off the same number of people using the shorter distance via booking hall which otherwise cause congestion. The same philosophy is used at other stations.

In my opinion the escalator route is easier with a wheely suitcase or even larger wheeled suitcase for changing trains there,
NFH likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.