No ID check on domestic

Old Aug 10, 19, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador
No ID check on domestic

So this has happened to me a few times in the past with another airline, but am I right in thinking ID should still always be checked?

Latest occurrence was out of LHR last week. Straight through fast track security with just a boarding pass through the automated gates. Then at the gate, no ID check, just straight through the self scan gates. Are the new biometric camera things working magic here? Only ever happened on domestic flights.
Old Aug 10, 19, 5:43 pm

There is no ID check required by law.

BA doesn't check ID and that's why you have your photo taken at security to match at the gate
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi.

BA does not check Id for domestics flights but may ask for Id when checking bags in but a baec card is acceptable. Your photo will be taken when you scan your BP prior to entering security and again at the gate.

Low cost carriers will ask for Id regardless

Regards

Tbs
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why would you expect to have to provide ID in order to travel from one part of the UK to another?
SK, IAMORGAN, Scots_Al and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 5:44 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Correct, no mandatory Id checks on domestics. I think you have to show some sort of id if you're checking a bag.
Old Aug 10, 19, 5:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond
Do you work for the Gestapo?
Iím very happy about the UKís approach to domestic travel of its citizens and visitors.
stewardo, IAMORGAN, mrow and 10 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Perfect, thanks, mind at rest now. The majority of my domestic travel is usually on a low cost airline who tend to always ask, whereas most international is on BA.
Old Aug 10, 19, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ENTP View Post
Do you work for the Gestapo?
Iím very happy about the UKís approach to domestic travel of its citizens and visitors.
Haha, no, and I very much liked just walking though without having to check, but it just caught me by surprise somewhat as I hadn't realised this was the case.
Old Aug 10, 19, 5:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club

These questions are still rather poorly answered as there are a number of follow on questions which may (or may not!) add some clarity:

1. Why is ID needed to check in bags but not if I am carrying a rucksack as hand luggage? Is it for the security of the aircraft or is it more of a customer relations thing in case the bag gets lost?

2. Why do the LCCs insist on photo ID regardless of bags? Is this for security reasons or more for revenue protection (so a mate canít just give a mate a ticket and allow him to fly to avoid the name change fee)?

3. Do we have no-fly lists in the UK? Is anyone barred from flying from a UK airport? And if so, could they book under a random name on a domestic flight and make their way airside and on-board?

Personally I feel BA should insist on ID for all passengers (however basic it may be - a school lanyard, library card etc) as I do think they should have an accurate manifest in case there was ever an incident. I donít like the idea that someone can book a flight with someone elseís name and fly even thought Iím aware they can do that on the bus or train etc. Flying is a more high-risk area in my opinion.
nancypants and TraumaDoc like this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 6:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Why would you expect to have to provide ID in order to travel from one part of the UK to another?
Because you are gaining access to a secure part of the airport (ďairsideĒ) and could be doing so under an alias. My personal opinion is anyone wanting to cross the line between landside and airside should be identifiable - ideally with a valid government ID, just in case there was an incident.

On a perhaps related note, if domestic pax can just walk through with any old name on their boarding pass, why bother making all the retail/catering staff apply for airside passes/clearances, why canít they just turn up to work in T5 WH Smithís as if they were on the High Street?
PAL62V, dav662 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Got some news for you ..... we don’t have any compulsory Govt issued photo ID in the UK.
GUWonder, mrow, skipness1E and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by HarryKUK View Post

On a perhaps related note, if domestic pax can just walk through with any old name on their boarding pass, why bother making all the retail/catering staff apply for airside passes/clearances, why canít they just turn up to work in T5 WH Smithís as if they were on the High Street?
Oh come on, this is obvious. Itís far easier for an airport worker to sneak something untoward airside because they are familiar with security procedures and personnel to a degree that no pax ever is, and have reason to move stock, etc.

Iíve said before that when I worked at LGW it would have been very easy indeed for me to get a gun or bomb through security to airside. That was (just) pre 9/11, so I hope itís tighter now, but Iím sure vulnerabilities still exist.
Old Aug 10, 19, 6:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
And people do fly domestic with aliases as "captain kirk" found out to his cost after a number of successful flights
mrow, Scots_Al, Calchas and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 6:53 pm

Programs: executive gold , KLM ivory ,Ezplus
I think your last paragraph explains it all , neither BA or U2 ask for this additional bit of beaurocracy,
( provided you are itravelling with hand baggage ) I think FR still do , I used to think that this was a bit of passenger baiting but in reality is probably about revenue maximisation to stop a possible loop hole of a passenger using some one elses boarding card
Old Aug 10, 19, 6:54 pm

Programs: British Airways
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi.

BA does not check Id for domestics flights but may ask for Id when checking bags in but a baec card is acceptable. Your photo will be taken when you scan your BP prior to entering security and again at the gate.

Low cost carriers will ask for Id regardless

Regards

Tbs
Took Easyjet to Gatwick from Glasgow late last year and they didn't ask for any ID - just boarding pass.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: