Confusion of difference of fares

Old Aug 9, 19, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Confusion of difference of fares

I went to book flights from Vancouver to London on 22nd March returning 1st May 2020 in the Executive Club, booking Premium Economy and upgrading to Business cost being $3,091.96 plus 60,000 Avios

Then I looked on the normal BA website and for the same dates and the same flights the cost was $1,876.96

Can someone expalin why the difference in cost please.and if there is anyway around this difference of $1,215.00.

much appreciated
Old Aug 9, 19, 9:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Skysea View Post
Can someone expalin why the difference in cost please.and if there is anyway around this difference of $1,215.00.
This may be a version of dual inventory fares not working properly. I can see your CAD 1876 fare, and I reckon the UuA amount should be 60k plus about CAD 500 for the difference in carrier surcharge between the two cabins, which brings the total to CAD 2400 round figures.

If you have just made the booking, and you are within 24 hours, you have potentially 2 choices
- cancel online, get a full refund, then book the CAD 1876 fare, then ring up to get the UuA.
- ring up anyway and get the agent to look into this and if necessary recalculate the fare.

If this was more than 24 hours ago then you can only do the second option.
Old Aug 9, 19, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
To add to cwss excellent answer - In terms of the way around for future reference, basically never trust the book and upgrade function on the website. Just book and then call to upgrade (or call them first and complete booking online as you speak to them if worried about inventory or ask them to do the booking and upgrade if you dont mind the phone fees).
Cymro likes this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 4:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
To add to cwss excellent answer - In terms of the way around for future reference, basically never trust the book and upgrade function on the website. Just book and then call to upgrade (or call them first and complete booking online as you speak to them if worried about inventory or ask them to do the booking and upgrade if you dont mind the phone fees).
I have always had the phone fee waived in this situation as agents are well aware of the websites problems.
Old Aug 10, 19, 10:48 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
I have always had the phone fee waived in this situation as agents are well aware of the websites problems.
You may well have been, but you are GCH. We should really remember that our experience as GCH/GGL is not the same as that of most others as agents have significantly more leeway in case of "small problems". In fact, even as GGL, in such a case I have sometimes had the fee waived but occasionally been told that the fee would apply and otherwise I could just book online and the agent would do the upgrade (that was from the regular GGL line too).

Theoretically, this is certainly not one of the cases which allows fee waiving (it is only supposed to occur for technical problems with the website which makes booking impossible, and here it is merely a case of the book+upgrade system not picking up special , and I certainly would expect that most regular passengers calling the regular number and asking for the book+upgrade to be done fully by the agent over the phone will be charged the phone booking fee which is what should (sadly) theoretically happen.
Old Aug 10, 19, 11:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is definitely no service fee if booked online and then amended or corrected within 24 hours. Hence the best approach is to book WTP and then call for UuA. But however you do it, just do a back of an envelope calculation of what the difference should be - essentially what I've done in my earlier post, looking at the difference in taxes, fees and charges between the two cabins - it seems too easy to make mistakes here.
Old Aug 10, 19, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

So grateful for all your help with my question, thank you!
Old Aug 11, 19, 2:53 am

You may well have been, but you are GCH. We should really remember that our experience as GCH/GGL is not the same as that of most others as agents have significantly more leeway in case of "small problems". In fact, even as GGL, in such a case I have sometimes had the fee waived but occasionally been told that the fee would apply and otherwise I could just book online and the agent would do the upgrade (that was from the regular GGL line too).

Theoretically, this is certainly not one of the cases which allows fee waiving (it is only supposed to occur for technical problems with the website which makes booking impossible, and here it is merely a case of the book+upgrade system not picking up special , and I certainly would expect that most regular passengers calling the regular number and asking for the book+upgrade to be done fully by the agent over the phone will be charged the phone booking fee which is what should (sadly) theoretically happen.
Actually I would say most agents are aware that there were issues with DIF fares online from the introduction of DIF fares.
Old Aug 11, 19, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
There is definitely no service fee if booked online and then amended or corrected within 24 hours.
Absolutely, nor if booked online and synchronically upgraded on phone, both are free, the only one that might be charged sometimes is asking to do the whole booking over the phone. So I echo your suggestion or alternatively to avoid the money back call, ask them to do it (another technical limitation is POS as technically for UUAs, agents are supposed the POS of the account registration and some DIF are not available then) and if they won't without fee or can't replicate your price because of the POS of your account, just ask them to stay on the line, purchase online, and ask them to upgrade instantaneously...
Old Aug 11, 19, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
It is indeed sad that the 'book and upgrade" function works silly. It seems to quote the highest fare bucket only. My experience is always to make the booking and then call (and wait) BAEC. No fee for miles upgrade.

Search this Thread