Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Reactions to BA's new A350 from elsewhere on the internet

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 18, 19, 5:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jwhite9185
Wiki Link
Directory of reviews and reports from elsewhere on the internet

Business Traveller
British Airways A350-1000 Club Suite inaugural flight

Executive Traveller
First Look: British Airways Airbus A350 Club Suite Business Class

God Save The Points
British Airways New A350 Club World “Suite” on First Ever Flight

Head for Points
We travel in Club Suite on the first commercial BA A350 flight!

Independent
British Airways A350: What it's Like to Fly on BA's Plush New Plane

London Air Travel
British Airways Unveils Its Airbus A350-1000 Aircraft

Noel Phillips (YouTube)
British Airways A350 Club Suite: An HONEST review!

Points to be Made
Review: We flew the new British Airways Club Suite on the inaugural A350 flight!

Sam Chui
British Airways A350-1000 First Flight
First Look of British Airways A350-1000

Simply Flying
Flying British Airways’ New Airbus A350 Club Suite – A Complete Review

The Design Air
British Airways receives its first A350. But is it all it’s cracked up to be?

The Points Guy UK
6 Thoughts From Aboard the First-Ever British Airways A350 Flight

The Sun (YouTube)
British Airways' new A350 business class Club World first flight REVIEW!

The Times (paywalled)
British Airways Business Class Seats on the New Airbus A350. Our Verdict

Travel-Dealz
Review: New British Airways Club SUITE on A350 from Madrid to London

Turning Left For Less
British Airways A350 first flight review

Inflight With James
British Airways Airbus A350 Review
Flying the new British Airways A350 (video)
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 6, 19, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

Air vents apart, it seems that BA’s 350 - and most importantly, its much-awaited new Club seating / config - does tick the boxes.

Even the HfP site (not generally regarded as a huge fan of the current BA biz class product .....) was impressed by the inaugural commercial flight and ‘launch event’ at LHR - along with a special celebratory cake !

The report - every bit as positive as that provided by c-w-s above - includes a remark that the photos don’t do justice to the suites. Worth a look
https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/0...-first-flight/
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:03 pm

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Here is Sam Chui's initial report and he seems pretty happy

Old Aug 8, 19, 4:16 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by icegirl View Post
And I went bounding up to him in the Iberia Velásquez lounge before the return flight and said:

CWS: “Hello, I am CWS from Flyertalk, good to meet you”
Warm handshake follows.
SC: “Hi, yes I’ve heard of Flyertalk, but I’m afraid I don’t know much about the people on it”.
CWS retreats, and duly crawls back into box.

Still, he was flying World Traveller, and I wasn’t. On the other hand it was also clear that about a third of the cabin crew knew exactly who he was (which wasn't difficult since he has his name on his t-shirt), they are clearly fans of his filming.
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
And I went bounding up to him in the Iberia Velásquez lounge before the return flight and said:

Warm handshake follows.
SC: “Hi, yes I’ve heard of Flyertalk, but I’m afraid I don’t know much about the people on it”.

Still, he was flying World Traveller, and I wasn’t. On the other hand it was also clear that about a third of the cabin crew knew exactly who he was (which wasn't difficult since he has his name on his t-shirt), they are clearly fans of his filming.
c-w-s, around these parts, I think we all know whom we are fans of!
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Having never seen any of Sam's stuff in the past (I have never claimed to know anything about aviation in general), I have seen his A350 stuff and you can't knock it. The quality of the production and his genuine enthusiasm for what he does is impressive.

As is the fact his 2nd A350 video got 200,000 views within 24 hours, and is now at 300,000.

Not that I am prepared to sit through any more 22 minutes videos though .....!

It is very much for an airliners.net audience though (or kiddiestalkingaboutplanes.net as it is widely known).
flyerkit and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:35 pm

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post

Warm handshake follows.

No disrespect to yourself but the guy is known world renowned on socials and in I think in the financial services industry globally.
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:41 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Having never seen any of Sam's stuff in the past (I have never claimed to know anything about aviation in general), I have seen his A350 stuff and you can't knock it. The quality of the production and his genuine enthusiasm for what he does is impressive.

As is the fact his 2nd A350 video got 200,000 views within 24 hours, and is now at 300,000.

Not that I am prepared to sit through any more 22 minutes videos though .....!

It is very much for an airliners.net audience though (or kiddiestalkingaboutplanes.net as it is widely known).
Whilst it is good, if you’re very early to a market and have been seeing (what he has seen) for a long time before the likes of TPG, HfP, OMAAT etc then it’s not too challenging, especially when he stuck to video and to be good at this he took advantage of YouTube early on and then you are on to a winner.

Couple this with access to a Southern Hemisphere audience count vs the little max 60 million we have in the U.K and a good max 250 million in the US. So not quite the billions in India, China, Asia etc that can easily build up followers.

I am not criticising nor do I personally think it’s wow stuff, but aviation/frequent flying online content is a young industry and there’s plenty of opportunities and successes to be had. Sam has taken advantage and long may he do so. Well done to him.

BA would be foolish to ignore a marketing opportunity that can give them huge international exposure for very little in return through a 22 min video and 1.3million subscribers.
subject2load likes this.

Last edited by rockflyertalk; Aug 8, 19 at 5:54 pm
Old Aug 8, 19, 5:07 pm

I really like Sam Chui’s videos, particularly the recent ones, the quality of which seems higher.

Airlines and related businesses are using his videos to promote themselves. I’ve seen a video about inflight meals and I’ve seen a video showing First class one way and Economy for the return.

BA seem to have ‘connected’ with him too. He was at LHR for the expected A350 arrival, for the actual one the next day (he was caught out too by the runway switch), and he did LHR-MAD-LHR out in Club and back in Premium Economy. I suspect all the crew knew who he was.

He also did a plane spotting video at LHR.

He he seems to enjoy interacting with staff and crew especially. One of his BA videos had him talking to cleaners. His enthusiasm for aviation is great.

If 22 minutes is too long, you simply set the video speed to double and it takes 11.
Old Aug 8, 19, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
No disrespect to yourself but the guy is known world renowned on socials and in I think in the financial services industry globally.
That may be the case, but he was rude to paying passengers on the Inaugral flight.

He was travelling in Club Suite Cabin, and during the flight he wandered into PE Cabin where I was seated and I was moving around checking out the PE Cabin at which point he stared at me and told me to sit down and get out of the way as he was using his Camera. . Damn Rude IMHO. He did this on 2 occasions.

20 plus minutes video of “Look at me ... Look at me,” dribble .... as Somebody else pointed out this is for kiddies.

Sam Hu?

simonsmith, AlanA, A P Yu and 11 others like this.

Last edited by BAEC; Aug 8, 19 at 5:53 pm
Old Aug 8, 19, 5:56 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_iY0qTF3eA
All the interactions with the crew were recorded multiple times just so he could get the video to look how he wanted it to.
Old Aug 8, 19, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JFX1764 View Post
All the interactions with the crew were recorded multiple times just so he could get the video to look how he wanted it to.
The crew were great on the flight. He was a jerk in my opinion.

I would even request that mods remove the link to his video as it is promoting only one of the many press that were on board the flight.
AlanA and EDIwanderer like this.

Last edited by BAEC; Aug 8, 19 at 6:09 pm
Old Aug 8, 19, 6:41 pm

Programs: qantas | BAEC | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass
Originally Posted by MarkFlies View Post
I really like Sam Chui’s videos, particularly the recent ones, the quality of which seems higher.

Airlines and related businesses are using his videos to promote themselves. I’ve seen a video about inflight meals and I’ve seen a video showing First class one way and Economy for the return.

BA seem to have ‘connected’ with him too. He was at LHR for the expected A350 arrival, for the actual one the next day (he was caught out too by the runway switch), and he did LHR-MAD-LHR out in Club and back in Premium Economy. I suspect all the crew knew who he was.

He also did a plane spotting video at LHR.

He he seems to enjoy interacting with staff and crew especially. One of his BA videos had him talking to cleaners. His enthusiasm for aviation is great.

If 22 minutes is too long, you simply set the video speed to double and it takes 11.
The reaction to him interesting.

I've watched a fair few of his YT videos over the years. Obviously some are better than others, but some just seem like advertorials, but there's no clarification of the relationship between him and the airline featured. I do prefer a few other YT reviewers who come across as being more independent.

Having said that, I bumped into him at Heathrow when we'd been waiting for the A350 to land on 27R. We chatted for a couple of minutes and he was very approachable and appeared to be a genuine 'spotter'. It also looks like I was the only person not to have had a 'selfie' with him over that weekend (though I did get an uncredited cameo appearance in one of his videos!).
Old Aug 8, 19, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by peter h View Post
The reaction to him interesting.

It also looks like I was the only person not to have had a 'selfie' with him over that weekend (though I did get an uncredited cameo appearance in one of his videos!).
Time to get back onto the original topic.

What are FT rules about someone posting a utube link which promotes an individuals Utube hits?

Good Night
Old Aug 9, 19, 4:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BAEC View Post
He was travelling in Club Suite Cabin, and during the flight he wandered into PE Cabin where I was seated and I was moving around checking out the PE Cabin at which point he stared at me and told me to sit down and get out of the way as he was using his Camera. . Damn Rude IMHO. He did this on 2 occasions.

20 plus minutes video of “Look at me ... Look at me,” dribble .... as Somebody else pointed out this is for kiddies.
This is why I can't watch his videos; it's abundantly apparent that there's a bunch of stuff that goes on off camera where he pushes boundaries and generates discomfort. You can often see it in the faces of CC he's filming, who obviously don't want to be there. It makes me cringe to think of what goes on before he hits record.
A P Yu, nancypants and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Aug 9, 19, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by armouredant View Post
This is why I can't watch his videos; it's abundantly apparent that there's a bunch of stuff that goes on off camera where he pushes boundaries and generates discomfort. You can often see it in the faces of CC he's filming, who obviously don't want to be there. It makes me cringe to think of what goes on before he hits record.
Never watched anything from him before - and wouldn't do it again. He clearly thinks HE is the important part of the video - couldn't watch it all the way through.
A P Yu, EDIwanderer and BAEC like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: