Wiki Posts
Search

A comedy of issues (LGW-AMS)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:27 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
23.25, landed in Amsterdam after a really short flight. Of course landed on the 5th runway so we will be spending a bit of time getting to the gate.

Already have an apology email from BA blaming the entire delay on a fuel emergency in Amsterdam.

Globalist
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:30 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

And a text message
We wanted to take the opportunity to apologise for the delay to your flight, we know how frustrating this must have been for you. Amsterdam airport experienced adverse weather throughout the evening and adjusted fuelling operations due to an earlier fuelling emergency in Amsterdam. This required us to load fuel for the return journey from London and resulted in lots of lengthy delays in and out of Amsterdam. We want to thank you for your patience during this delay and we hope to welcome you back onboard in the near future.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:34 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Globalist
23.25, landed in Amsterdam after a really short flight. Of course landed on the 5th runway so we will be spending a bit of time getting to the gate.

Already have an apology email from BA blaming the entire delay on a fuel emergency in Amsterdam.

Globalist
You're going to gate D18. A somewhat unfortunate flight, you're going to be 3 hour 3 minutes late, but I think your only compensation will be the pre-departure biscuit.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:23 pm

Could EC261 be interpreted to cover instances where delays are caused by operational failures by airport authorities, such as inability to refuel aircraft? And how about denied boarding due to unreasonable delays in security checks?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:26 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You're going to gate D18. A somewhat unfortunate flight, you're going to be 3 hour 3 minutes late, but I think your only compensation will be the pre-departure biscuit.
And that was the best part of the flight.
the crew made the best of it, at some point a cabin crew member sprinted out, donned her hi vis vest, got on the platform, ran to a catering truck, gestured thumbs up to the flight crew and returned with two huge boxes of biscuits. Nice chocolate chip ones, shortbread etc.

2.30am, now in my hotel in Rotterdam. Feeling lucky I was not on one of the KL services that were cancelled. There was a huge queue at midnight and announcements that no hotel rooms would be provided and that people should make their own bookings and claim.

Globalist

Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by RGS5526
Could EC261 be interpreted to cover instances where delays are caused by operational failures by airport authorities, such as inability to refuel aircraft? And how about denied boarding due to unreasonable delays in security checks?
I don't see how it could. Those reasons for delay are outside the control of the airline and would therefore be considered as 'extraordinary'.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
I don't see how it could. Those reasons for delay are outside the control of the airline and would therefore be considered as 'extraordinary'.
Well the courts have dramatically increased the scope of EC 261 - initially it was no compensation for delays, technical faults being de facto exceptional circumstances, etc. - would they be inclined to do so again?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:05 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I had a similar comedy of errors flight about 4 months ago out of LGW. The sequence was:

1. The gate was changed very shortly after the "go to gate xx" indication came up at T-50 - so most people headed to it. This gate was right up near the end of one of the piers
2. The new gate was one of the LGW-S bus gates, (gates 90-95 IIRC) right back near the main shopping area. Due to the original gate error, a lot of pax turned up late
3. We are now at the original departure time +10 and still at the gate waiting for he second bus to turn up. This turned up at T+15
4. Our aircraft is actually parked somewhere over near the North Terminal so quite a lengthy ride.
5. When boarding is complete the captain announces the APU is faulty and we will require an air start. This unit was already there and connected and they tried without success to start up the first engine. Lots of blokes in hi-viz outside fiddling with controls and scratching heads near the air start trolley
6. Captain announces the air start trolley has a faulty hose and cannot supply enough air, we must wait for a replacement.
7. After 10 more minutes, Captain announces the good news is the new start trolley has arrived, bad news is we have now missed our ATC slot.and we have permission to start engines in about 20 minutes. We are now some 1 hour past our original push-back time.
8. At last we are off at around T + 80 minutes and taxi out.
9. After a 15 minute or so taxi and hold in the queue we reach the active runway and without stopping promptly turn straight back off it and quickly come to a stop. Captain announces with some resignation "it really is not our day" and the reason we are still here is the inbound aircraft that landed just before reported debris on the runway so now an inspection must take place.
10. After a 10 minute further delay for the inspection we are finally off, some 110 minutes after scheduled time.
AverageHighFlyer likes this.

Last edited by BOH; Aug 10, 2019 at 12:11 am
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:24 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by cauchy
Well the courts have dramatically increased the scope of EC 261 - initially it was no compensation for delays, technical faults being de facto exceptional circumstances, etc. - would they be inclined to do so again?
Most if not all train operators in Great Britain offer Delay Repay regardless of the cause of delay or whose fault it was. (If you feel it is morally wrong to benefit from another passenger's illness or the like, you can choose not to claim, though in some cases if you have an online account from which you booked a ticket, it may be automatically paid).

I can certainly see some advantages to making airlines pay compensation regardless of the cause, perhaps with some adjustment of the amounts. It may be more efficient to have large companies take out insurance to cover compensation claims from external causes, rather than having hundreds to thousands of passengers fighting individual battles with travel insurers.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by :D!
Most if not all train operators in Great Britain offer Delay Repay regardless of the cause of delay or whose fault it was. (If you feel it is morally wrong to benefit from another passenger's illness or the like, you can choose not to claim, though in some cases if you have an online account from which you booked a ticket, it may be automatically paid).

I can certainly see some advantages to making airlines pay compensation regardless of the cause, perhaps with some adjustment of the amounts. It may be more efficient to have large companies take out insurance to cover compensation claims from external causes, rather than having hundreds to thousands of passengers fighting individual battles with travel insurers.
I'd agree with this, I assume the TOC then claim back losses from Network rail for example if its a signalling failure, I reasons airlines couldn't do the same.

My train tickets are generally work related so any delay repay I recieve gets donated to charity.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:53 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by golfmad
I agree, I don't think BA in this case was responsible for the entire delay but they did contribute to it. If the flight had left with less than an hour delay the fuel issue in AMS would not have started yet. If the 1st officer did not have to be changed after doors close we could have been ok.

That said, AMS was responsible but there is no way to claim from them. Only the party who has a contract with them could make a claim. So maybe if the scope of the regulation gets expanded to all events except weather and the airline can further claim from other parties involved, that would have been a way to compensate for the less than ideal experience yesterday.

Globalist
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:06 am

Had an extremely painful positioning flight from BA442 LHR-AMS yesterday as part of LHR-AMS / AMS-LHR-CPT.
  1. Initially the flight was delayed due to late incoming aircraft
  2. No-show required hold luggage to be off-loaded (caused us to miss slot delayed on stand)
  3. During taxi told insufficient fuel to get plane back (due to AMS fuel issue)
  4. Returned to remote stand to refuel
  5. No ETA due to extreme weather so passengers given chance to deplane (after some deliberation we did)
  6. Took over two hours to get baggage back
Then long conversation with the only ticketing staff member on duty in T5 to protect LHR-CPT as we couldn't get to AMS, which they agreed to do. A very long night with upset children. Turned out the aircraft arrived before we got home! Some decisions are impossible to get right!

Crew stated alcohol couldn't be served on the ground, only soft drinks, even in CE. Just as well in the end, as I had to drive home!
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Globalist
If the flight had left with less than an hour delay the fuel issue in AMS would not have started yet.
Globalist
But then the flight would have landed after the issue had started with no way of getting out of AMS. In hindsight, it was a good thing that the outbound flight was delayed as the inconvenience for inbound passengers would have been much worse.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Muttley
Had an extremely painful positioning flight from BA442 LHR-AMS yesterday as part of LHR-AMS / AMS-LHR-CPT.
  1. Initially the flight was delayed due to late incoming aircraft
  2. No-show required hold luggage to be off-loaded (caused us to miss slot delayed on stand)
  3. During taxi told insufficient fuel to get plane back (due to AMS fuel issue)
  4. Returned to remote stand to refuel
  5. No ETA due to extreme weather so passengers given chance to deplane (after some deliberation we did)
  6. Took over two hours to get baggage back
Then long conversation with the only ticketing staff member on duty in T5 to protect LHR-CPT as we couldn't get to AMS, which they agreed to do. A very long night with upset children. Turned out the aircraft arrived before we got home! Some decisions are impossible to get right!

Crew stated alcohol couldn't be served on the ground, only soft drinks, even in CE. Just as well in the end, as I had to drive home!
My wife and I were on this flight. At one point our ETA was 02:35! Once those who decided to leave had left, food was served (including alcohol) in Club. WT were allowed one snack item and a soft drink FOC from BoB.

Unfortunately, those deciding to leave caused us to miss our slot because of offloading baggage, we had come forward to a 22:45 ETA but that kept being pushed back by 10 minutes every 10 minutes waiting to have the bags offloaded. We actually arrived at about 23:50.

The crew (flight and cabin) were excellent throughout.

Our children arrived on EZY from LPL at 1900, and our dinner plans went out of the window. That said, we got here safely and were looked after well, and we are very much going to make the most of our family weekend away ^
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Unfortunately, those deciding to leave caused us to miss our slot because of offloading baggage, we had come forward to a 22:45 ETA but that kept being pushed back by 10 minutes every 10 minutes waiting to have the bags offloaded. We actually arrived at about 23:50.
Sorry you missed your slot, I think there were 8 or us who requested to be offloaded. I agree the crew were excellent. As I previously mentioned it was a difficult decision. We had to weigh up the risk of not making it to AMS that evening or indeed whether the evening return flight back to LHR would have sufficient fuel or issues with the storm to get us back for our LHR-CPT connection.

Whilst we're lucky BA understood our predicament and protected our flight to CPT, it's still a worrying position to be in. I was given no written confirmation that I can safely skip AMS-LHR and that the LHR-CPT et al is protected. I called the Silver call centre this morning and was told that there are comments on the booking so should be fine. "Should" be fine!

Aiming to get to LHR early for check-in. Probably before the AMS-LHR flights closes. Also because I'll be parked at T5 and have to get over to T3 with baggage. Still waiting on a decision from Heathrow parking whether they will allow me to return to my booked parking slot eventhou I left the airport last night.
steve170461, Tobias-UK and TWCLAM like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.