Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Anyone topping up their Avios coffers? (Avios sale with up to +45% bonuses)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Trying to work out whether to buy some (for the first time ever).

Typically need 350k every 12 months, to use in conjunction with 2 Amex 241 vouchers to get a family of four to North America, outbound in F, return in J... 2020 is booked, and I've got 200k left towards 2021's holiday (if we're all still here). But my earning is down to about 150k or so every year now. Hmmm.... is it worth an early investment to avoid being Avios-broke in 12 months time?

Things were so much easier before the small people came along, necessitating four redemption seats every year!

How often do these sales come up, and are they ever more generous?

Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
All hinges on personal requirements, of course. The OP’s needs are heavy, but at least he has a fair chance of using 2 x 241. In our case we have close to 0.5m, a 241, and little current prospect of using them to where we want to go!

So ... No, not buying, but thanks BA for the email!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
It looks like they simply took the regular AAdvantage emails on this topic, search-and-replaced "Miles" with "Avios", and sent it to the BAEC membership list.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
If you can use them immediately then the pricing isn't terrible, but I wouldn't be carrying a large speculative balance given the risk of devaluation
747_not_777 and george77300 like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Not me. I have never bought Avios and don't intend to start now. I tend to spend them as I earn them and don't accumulate. If I don't have enough then I either wait until I do or else I book a cash fare within my means instead.

In terms of the OP's dilemma whether to buy or not, why not consider flying in J both ways, or - perish the thought - consider PE and J instead? Provocative I know, but as my mother would say, "cut your coat accord to your cloth"
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Geordie405
In terms of the OP's dilemma whether to buy or not, why not consider flying in J both ways, or - perish the thought - consider PE and J instead? Provocative I know, but as my mother would say, "cut your coat accord to your cloth"
My wife already thought 64J was 'slumming it' home from Austin last week, I certainly can't suggest we'll be doing that both ways, never mind PE. It's the part of the holiday she looks forward to for a whole year after we book it!

I think we might have to take that cottage we like in North Wales for Summer 2022 to let things build up again...

Great advice from ajeleonard about future devaluations in Avios - very valid and enough to put me off for now.

Thanks everyone.
Geordie405 likes this.

Last edited by 747_not_777; Aug 8, 2019 at 1:13 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Oh dear! I definitely see your point now if the wife thinks 63J is slumming it. Yes, best get those Avios purchased while you can
Richmond_Surrey likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
There has been a few 50 % bonuses recently on both BA and Iberia, so I would wait for one of those to come back if the Avios are not needed urgently.
PrimaVista likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
1,200 avios for Ł31!? Are they having a laugh?

You can get a return flight to AGP for Ł41 and earn more avios than that!
T8191 and george77300 like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:01 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I bought a small number in order to prevent the useful balance of Avios I still have from expiring completely.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by V10
I bought a small number in order to prevent the useful balance of Avios I still have from expiring completely.
Do Avios expire? I didn’t think so.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

They do but it's so lax that most people don't even think of it. I think the policy is no earning or redemption in 36 months.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

Indeed they can:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/collecting-avios/avios-expiry-rules

But as pointed out, anyone earning even semi regularly is unlikely to notice
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
With the 2-4-1 certificates, it seems more reasonable than for most of us.

That said, Amex in the USA is also offering a bonus if I transfer their points to Avios and I've been mulling it over. I have retained my Silver status on DL and last minute AA flights using Avios can be advantageous especially with a 40% bonus.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 747_not_777
My wife already thought 63J was 'slumming it' home from Austin last week,
Maybe you could suggest to your other half that if she doesn't like PE then she needs to finance the upgrade herself?
747_not_777 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.