Wiki Posts
Search

Help with flight search? LHR to ARL to SIN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Help with flight search? LHR to ARL to SIN

I just saw a cracking deal on Qatar Q-Suites to Singapore from Stockholm for around £1200 return (From GSTP) leaving at 22.40

I was looking at 24th Sep and returning on the 29th - obviously I need a flight to Stockholm so I searched BA individually and I found
a 5pm flight arriving at 8.35pm in Stockholm - I figure that’s enough time to make the connection. Coming back it is more like an hour between the Qatar flight landing and the BA return to London.

I would prefer to book them all as one - so that way I am protected if there is a delay and miss a flight but I can’t get them all to appear on any site - Sky scanner, Google flights even the ITA matrix return nothing when I do a search for those dates.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it a bug? I was hoping someone with some more experience may be able to enlighten me! Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You won’t be able to book them together, and I would suggest that your connections times are very optimistic. If you are late into ARN you will forfeit your QR ticket entirely which could be very expensive.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Spinstorm
I just saw a cracking deal on Qatar Q-Suites to Singapore from Stockholm for around £1200 return (From GSTP) leaving at 22.40

I was looking at 24th Sep and returning on the 29th - obviously I need a flight to Stockholm so I searched BA individually and I found
a 5pm flight arriving at 8.35pm in Stockholm - I figure that’s enough time to make the connection. Coming back it is more like an hour between the Qatar flight landing and the BA return to London.

I would prefer to book them all as one - so that way I am protected if there is a delay and miss a flight but I can’t get them all to appear on any site - Sky scanner, Google flights even the ITA matrix return nothing when I do a search for those dates.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it a bug? I was hoping someone with some more experience may be able to enlighten me! Thanks.
Only if everything runs smooth, you're not in a hurry to reach your destination and it's a through ticket... that unfortunately you can't have at the same price (or even near) of the QR deal.
My suggestion is to book a morning flight to ARN if you don't want or can't fly there the evening before.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
I'm flying out of ARN to SIN at the end of the month on the 2235 departure. I've booked BA780 departing LHR at 1320, arriving 1655. This provides sufficient time to collect bag and check it in for the QR flight (BA won't check the bags through to another airline on separate tickets), and provides a buffer for potential delay (although if the IT meltdown of today is repeated that may not be sufficient and I'll make sure that I know what SAS flights are available as a standby). If BA780 is cancelled, then the later flight is an option but the connection time is tight. On the return, QR will check your bags through to LHR.

An alternative is to go the day before and have a look around the delightful city of Stockholm although clearly an overnight and associated costs in Sweden will reduce the overall savings.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mapman
On the return, QR will check your bags through to LHR.
And if you miss your connection to ARN at DOH, QR will rebook you onto a direct flight back to LHR.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Spinstorm

2 hours on the outbound is possibly doable as long as BA is ontime but remember QR check-in / bag drop close times so you'd have a lot less then 2 hours - likely an hour to clear immigration, collect bags and get to the QR desk by their cut off time.

1 hour in the return is likely impossible especially if you have bags. Even without you'd need to be at the BA gate no later than 20 mins before departure so 40 minutes to disembark etc etc and get to BA is not something I would try - even if QR was on time.
Cymro likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
I fly ARN-LHR a few times a year, usually on BA, sometimes on SK, and we've done the QR run ARN-DOH-SIN (was a blast! you'll love it!). In my experience the 'shape' of the LHR-ARN service tends to fall apart the later you get in the day if small delays happen here and there on either end. I would book something midday so you have options and the likelihood of delays starting to mount is minimal. Oh - see Mapman's response, probably the best strategy.

The QR lounge is a shared lounge at ARN, and it will do though don't expect a big spread. Its a nice enough airport to wander around and not that crowded most of the time. Also, I think you have to go through passport control? Maybe? I dont know, we usually fly in the night before and stay in the Radisson Blu in the terminal. But if you do, in order to pick up bags and check in again, certain times of the day the lines can get quite long and it can take a while. QR also checks in Terminal 5, which is aaallll the way opposite end from BA arrivals in Terminal 2. Its a straight shot and easy enough, but its a hike and you have to go through domestic/regional departures area (busy) and Sky City (restaurants and shops) to get there. Can get congested. Takes a good 10 minutes walk.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA/American
There’s a very reasonable hotel at ARN - Good Morning Arlanda. Yeah, pretty silly but decent if you’re not down with the Radisson Blu. There’s also Jumbo Stay in the old 747!

BTW, if you go the day before go to Uppsala for the afternoon/evening -
much more compact. Lovely walk along the river, etc.

Last edited by Samolyot; Aug 7, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
There's also a Clarion inside the terminal which I prefer to the Raddison.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
The Clarion is good for the convenience and price, and has breakfast included. I would make sure you have at least one other flight to fall back on, between your planned positioning flight and the QR departure, which still gives you plenty of time to connect - ie I wouldn't rely on the one you are suggesting, even as your fallback. You only need a strike, or an IT meltdown, or the beast from the east, and your QR flight is at risk. I must admit, that I would go the day before.

Last edited by vintagepilot; Aug 7, 2019 at 3:03 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by Mapman
I'm flying out of ARN to SIN at the end of the month on the 2235 departure. I've booked BA780 departing LHR at 1320, arriving 1655. This provides sufficient time to collect bag and check it in for the QR flight (BA won't check the bags through to another airline on separate tickets), and provides a buffer for potential delay (although if the IT meltdown of today is repeated that may not be sufficient and I'll make sure that I know what SAS flights are available as a standby). If BA780 is cancelled, then the later flight is an option but the connection time is tight. On the return, QR will check your bags through to LHR.

An alternative is to go the day before and have a look around the delightful city of Stockholm although clearly an overnight and associated costs in Sweden will reduce the overall savings.
Don't forget that BA and QR use different terminals at ARN and it is a good 10 minutes or more walk especially with suitcases.
Cymro likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
The Clarion is good for the convenience and price, and has breakfast included. I would make sure you have at least one other flight to fall back on, between your planned positioning flight and the QR departure, which still gives you plenty of time to connect - ie I wouldn't rely on the one you are suggesting, even as your fallback. You only need a strike, or an IT meltdown, or the beast from the east, and your QR flight is at risk. I must admit, that I would go the day before.
Definitely know your SAS options - they are usually within an hour or half hour of BA departures through the day.

Alternatively go on a morning flight, with midday as backup, store your luggage at the luggage service (in the basement, its about 70Kr a bag or something for 24 hours) and go into town for the day. That way you can still see the city but not lose the savings of an overnight hotel in Stockholm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.