Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fluffymitten
BA FLY was down for most of Wednesday 7 August with multiple delays and cancellations.

Service was restored and operational at start of play on Thursday 8 August, until...

1451 BST BA reported issues with BA FLY and reverted to using JFE.
1521 BST BA advised all short haul aircraft have been grounded in/out of outstations due to the loss of the FLY system
1555 BST FLY reported as stable
Print Wikipost

Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Onboard 2623 now, just pushing from the stand. Pilot said the outage meant they couldn’t do weight and balance. Not sure that story checks out. How worried should I be about the 840am LHR-DME on a 789 tomorrow morning?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

From BA.com :-

We are very sorry to our customers for the disruption to their travel plans.

We are working as quickly as possible to resolve a systems issue which has resulted in some short-haul cancellations and delays from London airports.

We are offering customers booked on short-haul services departing from Heathrow, Gatwick and London City today, the opportunity to rebook to another day.
So, BA are somehow managing not to cancel flights from outstations, even though the outbound flights from London have been cancelled. Amazing!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Contact centres can now rebook onto other airlines where BA has an agreement (which is most of the European airlines except SAS ). This is for cancellations, and is dependent on the ticketing being accessible for reissue, which is by no means guaranteed - some cancelled flights have not had their tickets released.

This is in Update 5, just released, so agents may not be aware of this yet.
BA restored their interline agreement with SAS in the middle of 2018, although from the conditions attached at the time, SAS appeared reluctant. Has it been withdrawn again?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Onboard 2623 now, just pushing from the stand. Pilot said the outage meant they couldn’t do weight and balance. Not sure that story checks out. How worried should I be about the 840am LHR-DME on a 789 tomorrow morning?
That is indeed one of the issues with Altea going down.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
When will British Airways/other companies learn? Cheap IT costs more than Good IT
* Good
* Fast
* Cheap

Pick any two.

It does seem like the entire departure management suite is in a degraded state - so that will cover check-in, load control (what's where in the hold, weight & balance, etc.), boarding, etc.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:31 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Agent69
I suspect that to a certain extent BA are a bit like the main UK banks. They have frail & ancient IT systems, that everyone is frightened of touching. Look what happened to TSB when they thought it would be a good idea to swap everything over to a new system.
Except I thought their systems are new and they are using Amadeus. Problem is that they are using heavily customised Fly on top of Amadeus which is always high risk (to not use standard software).
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
More cancellations just about now. I was on BA1394 which is now cancelled. BA phone agent managed to move me now on the BA1404 and reissue the ticket. So I guess some systems working. BA south First lounge agent could checked me in and print my boarding pass.
will this flight goes? Well I guess I find out soon.

(all flight number is LHR - MAN domestic. )
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:36 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
This will be an expensive EC261 Day for BA.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Managed to get checked in for ALC > LGW > GLA tomorrow using the App. It was a pain and required several retries and getting halfway through and then an error message, but it got there in the end.

Family on two different bookings. For the other booking used mobile website and it seemed to be a bit quicker.

The main worry is with so many stranded passengers and out of position aircraft, I suspect the chances of both legs departing on schedule will reduce the longer the disruption continues.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Agent69
I suspect that to a certain extent BA are a bit like the main UK banks. They have frail & ancient IT systems, that everyone is frightened of touching. Look what happened to TSB when they thought it would be a good idea to swap everything over to a new system.
This is precisely the problem BA faces.

For everyone commenting BA need to update their IT, it's because they are updating their IT systems that they face these problems.

When BA embarked on a program to update their Departure Control System to FLY they mapped out how all their systems interact, to both internal systsms and external systems. (Reservations, Check-in, BA Web and Mobile, Flight Scheduling, Crew Scheduling and rostering, Flight Planning and ATC, Safety Systems, Customer Relations systems and many others). What they learned was that all of these systems were so intertwined that you couldn't remove and upgrade a system without breaking everything. Complicating things further, many of their new systems were incompatible with old systems, so they had to find an interim solution as they update each system one by one.

So instead they created the SIP (systems integration platform). It's like a translator for all the systems. Everything is funnelled through the SIP now, rather than needing to speak directly to 30+ different systems. As they replace a legacy tool, they now only need to interface it with the SIP, rather than build 30 new connections. The plan was, once all systems were upgraded, they would rebuild the direct connections and retire the SIP.

The issue is, BA have essentially created a single point of failure in the SIP, and it is incredibly unstable due to the amount of data being processed through it.

So they are upgrading to some great IT solutions, starting with FLY/JFE at checkin, a new safety system last year, and a new flight ops and crew scheduling system was due this year. The problem is keeping all the systems talking to each other in the interim.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by Krisz
More cancellations just about now. I was on BA1394 which is now cancelled. BA phone agent managed to move me now on the BA1404 and reissue the ticket. So I guess some systems working. BA south First lounge agent could checked me in and print my boarding pass.
will this flight goes? Well I guess I find out soon.

(all flight number is LHR - MAN domestic. )
You're possibly fortunate through being in the F lounge - many agents who work there have a lot of experience under their belts and may have the knowledge to manipulate bookings natively in Amadeus without needing the front ends which seem to be the most affected.

That said, I think you're optimistic. If you've no checked bags, and I was in the same position, I would probably be seeking an offload and looking at taking the train.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Ive been able to check in for tomorrow for a trip with a connection for myself and two colleagues. Mine was slow but by the time it came to theirs I was able to check in through their accounts without issue.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by BAEC
This will be an expensive EC261 Day for BA.
They'll just refuse and say it was "Extraordinary Circumstances" as usual. That will get rid of 90% of the claims.
Crampedin13A, stewaran and BAEC like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: BA GGL
Finally managed to check-in, but the app says "Sorry, we are unable to determine your check-in status. This means we won't be able to give you a mobile boarding pass." Which is rather confusing.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
From BA.com :-

So, BA are somehow managing not to cancel flights from outstations, even though the outbound flights from London have been cancelled. Amazing!
doing what they were going to do last Monday and send the flight out empty so they could still operate the return?

seems sensible especially as the issue is related to passengers and not flight ops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.