FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1981933-wed-7-aug-ba-systems-down-flights-disrupted-cancelled.html)

BAEC Aug 7, 2019 9:59 am

Originally Posted by yojimbo26 (Post 31389909)
Well I can happily report I have escaped G-ZBKI at Gatwick along with about 20 interpid travellers and am on the bus to the Terminal. Thought it best to bail rather then fly up to Heathrow gawd knows when!

Well done you.

BoeBus Aug 7, 2019 10:00 am

Our Captain said that the BT Internet connection on which their IT runs failed and is the cause of all the disruption! Almost unbelievable

corporate-wage-slave Aug 7, 2019 10:01 am

Originally Posted by yojimbo26 (Post 31389909)
Well I can happily report I have escaped G-ZBKI at Gatwick along with about 20 interpid travellers and am on the bus to the Terminal. Thought it best to bail rather then fly up to Heathrow gawd knows when!

Yes, I going to suggest that while what was suggested earlier - namely it's all out or none out - is generally correct, in the case of diversions to LGW BA captains do sometimes let HBO passengers out after a bit of pleading. The reason why this isn't a great idea is when it turns out that someone who declares themselves to be HBO actually has a few things in hold, and a few other concerns along these lines. At some point it may be that the flight may end up terminated at the diversion airport.

Steve_ZA Aug 7, 2019 10:02 am

Originally Posted by BoeBus (Post 31389932)
Our Captain said that the BT Internet connection on which their IT runs failed and is the cause of all the disruption! Almost unbelievable

It's guaranteed that a 3rd party will be found responsible and all fingers pointed in that direction, however I don't think anyone would believe the BT story.

Aus_Mal Aug 7, 2019 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 31389837)
It is worth noting that Virgin Atlantic is in the process of lauching a major campaign to block BA's expansion with the 3rd runway. I was chatting to Shai Weiss about it a few weeks ago, and he already started dropping it in to every interview and speech he gives. At present, BA believes it is legally entitled to 50% of the new slots that will be created, which will simply mean BA closing Gatwick and moving everything across. Virgin believes there should be a different method of allocation.

Your post is not related to the disruption today, but even if it was I think you're not correct. BA will keep LGW, LCY and LHR regardless of the third runway.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 7, 2019 10:13 am

Rebooking onto OAL (Other Airlines) revised update for 16:45 hrs, which is update 4.

The following rebooking is allowed, if your flight is cancelled today or tomorrow (Thursday 8 August) and you have a BA 125 tickets - including Avios / redemptions. It can be rebooked by Contact Centres (which used to be very unusual outside Joint Business and oneworld routes), as well as by airport staff

- SAS (contrary to the previous discussion)
- Air France
- Air Baltic
- Loganair
- KLM
- Philippine Airlines
- Luxair
- Gulf Air
- Brussels Airlines
- AIr Malaysia
- Air Mauritius
- Qatar
- Air Malta
- El Al
- Lufthansa Group (so including Swiss and Austrian) - but no later than 2 days later than the original date for some reason
- Latam
- Iberia
- Icelandair
Other airlines may also be possible if the above doesn't work, but BA has specific agreements on the above.

These are reactive guidelines, so you won't get rebooked proactively on to these flights.

N1120A Aug 7, 2019 10:17 am

Here I was thinking we got SSSS for our BOD-LGW tomorrow. Check in worked, but app BPs wouldn't come through. Hopefully, they sort this quickly or get us on an airline that is competent.

yojimbo26 Aug 7, 2019 10:19 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31389939)
Yes, I going to suggest that while what was suggested earlier - namely it's all out or none out - is generally correct, in the case of diversions to LGW BA captains do sometimes let HBO passengers out after a bit of pleading. The reason why this isn't a great idea is when it turns out that someone who declares themselves to be HBO actually has a few things in hold, and a few other concerns along these lines. At some point it may be that the flight may end up terminated at the diversion airport.

I did chat with the Captain who we being very polite and communicative with the PAX, I think he pulled a few strings to get us the bus to the terminal, sounded like a bit of a battle.

I am already wizzing my way to London on Gatwick Express, that turned out the be the fastest I have ever egressed Gatwick.

Samolyot Aug 7, 2019 10:23 am

BA and computers doesn’t seem to be a match made in heaven.

balowlyblue Aug 7, 2019 10:24 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31389991)
Rebooking onto OAL (Other Airlines) revised update for 16:45 hrs, which is update 4.

The following rebooking is allowed, if your flight is cancelled today or tomorrow (Thursday 8 August) and you have a BA 125 tickets - including Avios / redemptions. It can be rebooked by Contact Centres (which used to be very unusual outside Joint Business and oneworld routes), as well as by airport staff

- SAS (contrary to the previous discussion)
- Air France
- Air Baltic
- Loganair
- KLM
- Philippine Airlines
- Luxair
- Gulf Air
- Brussels Airlines
- AIr Malaysia
- Air Mauritius
- Qatar
- Air Malta
- El Al
- Lufthansa Group (so including Swiss and Austrian) - but no later than 2 days later than the original date for some reason
- Latam
- Iberia
- Icelandair
Other airlines may also be possible if the above doesn't work, but BA has specific agreements on the above.

These are reactive guidelines, so you won't get rebooked proactively on to these flights.

Just a question regarding this (I'm not affected) - say for example FCO cancelled, doesn't look like Alitalia is on this list so no direct route - would the ticket be rerouted with a connection for example KLM LHR-AMS-FCO, or is it direct flights only??

1010101 Aug 7, 2019 10:27 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu (Post 31388402)
These are happening on a far too regular basis. There are at least a couple a year, if not more.

True. Of the other airlines i fly frequently I cant think of a single occurrence like this on any of them. On BA it's becoming a fairly regular event and between this and the strikes I am starting to think twice when booking them - i'm on Easyjet this week thankfully.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 7, 2019 10:29 am

Originally Posted by balowlyblue (Post 31390043)
Just a question regarding this (I'm not affected) - say for example FCO cancelled, doesn't look like Alitalia is on this list so no direct route - would the ticket be rerouted with a connection for example KLM LHR-AMS-FCO, or is it direct flights only??

The agent will probably feel confident with the KLM booking, but the last line does allow other airline to be considered too. I suspect at airports in particular if there was an Alitalia service 90 minutes away, that is where you would end up.

citiflyerUK Aug 7, 2019 10:29 am

Originally Posted by citiflyerUK (Post 31389561)
My boss was travelling on BA1439 from EDI to LHR. Originally should have landed at 10:50am. It actually landed at 13:50 and they are still on the plane. It's now been suggested that they'll go to T4 and be taken to T5 by bus but nothing has actually happened.

So they have finally been bused to T5 but told they won't get their baggage. It will be delivered later. Unbelievable.

N1120A Aug 7, 2019 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Samolyot (Post 31390034)
BA and computers doesn’t seem to be a match made in heaven.

that's BA's fault for trying to constantly bolt on their ancient RTZ front-end to a proper system on the back end. Just go with the full Amadeus solution

Samolyot Aug 7, 2019 10:53 am

I shudder to think of what the changeover would result in were they to completely revamp!

Yeoman5 Aug 7, 2019 10:55 am

Anyone seen Cruz’s statement on this debacle?

Schwann Aug 7, 2019 10:56 am

Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 31390008)
Here I was thinking we got SSSS for our BOD-LGW tomorrow. Check in worked, but app BPs wouldn't come through. Hopefully, they sort this quickly or get us on an airline that is competent.

Neither Bodrum nor Gatwick are in the USA thus impossible to get SSSS.

tuonopepper Aug 7, 2019 10:56 am

Originally Posted by ginger_lord (Post 31389758)
Flying from LAX-LHR (BA280) in a few hours so looking forward to whatever drama occurs on the landing (or where we land) and the subsequent travel up to MAN. I couldn't use OLCI at all last night and just assumed like last time it was due to a plane change/upgrade or SSSS. Everytime i logged it it couldnt retrieve my account, this morning it does but website couldn't check me in. The app worked fine and downloaded boarding passes fine.

You never know you may get lucky and diverted to MAN.

This happen to me a couple of years back doing US to LHR. There were around 30 of us all due to connect to MAN, initially they wanted to fly us down to LHR, Hotel us as all same day flights were full and fly us back to MAN next day.

After a near riot broke out they eventually let HBO passengers off, I was one of them so not sure what happened to the handful that were for MAN with checked bags.

squawk Aug 7, 2019 10:57 am

Oh dear. Good luck to everyone travelling today.

I’ve skimmed the thread, but am trying to work out where we’re likely to stand for tomorrow - does anyone have the latest confirmed ‘overview’? I see there’s a wiki, but it hasn’t got any content (yet), though @corporate-wage-slave has kindly posted reactive rebooking onto other airlines above in post #210.

I’m meant to be on BA112 tomorrow JFK-LHR, so will see whether I can retrieve my boarding pass later today.

tuonopepper Aug 7, 2019 10:59 am

Originally Posted by BoeBus (Post 31389932)

I can only assume and hope he was taking the p***

Yeoman5 Aug 7, 2019 11:02 am

Just noticed Virgin Media operate the WiFi for BA lounges. I sense the hand of Richard behind that.

Krisz Aug 7, 2019 11:03 am

Originally Posted by squawk (Post 31390212)
Oh dear. Good luck to everyone travelling today.

I’ve skimmed the thread, but am trying to work out where we’re likely to stand for tomorrow - does anyone have the latest confirmed ‘overview’? I see there’s a wiki, but it hasn’t got any content (yet), though @corporate-wage-slave has kindly posted reactive rebooking onto other airlines above in post #210.

I’m meant to be on BA112 tomorrow JFK-LHR, so will see whether I can retrieve my boarding pass later today.

the system is back to normal. I managed to get my latest boarding pass which I wasn’t able to do today. Also as far as I can see all flights to JFK is going to operate so I don’t think you would experience anything unusual

bzc Aug 7, 2019 11:04 am

BA website says all is fixed:

We have resolved the temporary systems issue from this morning which affected a number of our flights today.
We apologise to all our customers caught up in the disruption, and appreciate how frustrating their experience has been.
And indeed I was able to retrieve my boarding pass on the app.
They must have turned off and on again their BT router :)

Crampedin13A Aug 7, 2019 11:05 am

Has BA announced any cancellations for tomorrow? Not seeing any but I'm sure my morning flight to MAN would be a candidate

Crampedin13A Aug 7, 2019 11:08 am

Originally Posted by bzc (Post 31390249)
BA website says all is fixed:

And indeed I was able to retrieve my boarding pass on the app.
They must have turned off and on again their BT router :)

They must have. A half hour ago all my bookings etc on both the app and ba.com had disappeared and now they have shown up,again. Hopefully my Apple wallet boarding pass will suffice if they disappear again

Misco60 Aug 7, 2019 11:08 am

BBC News has been broadcasting vox pop interviews with passengers at Heathrow, some of whom were in tears over ruined holiday plans, all saying that BA has offered them almost no help at all. Whatever the truth of this, it's quickly turning into a PR disaster.

alex67500 Aug 7, 2019 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Schwann (Post 31390208)

(Bordeaux)

balowlyblue Aug 7, 2019 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 31390266)
BBC News has been broadcasting vox pop interviews with passengers at Heathrow, some of whom were in tears over ruined holiday plans, all saying that BA has offered them almost no help at all. Whatever the truth of this, it's quickly turning into a PR disaster.

And with potential BALPA strikes, could end up being a real bloodbath - interesting to see if/when AC/WW appear.

Schwann Aug 7, 2019 11:13 am

Originally Posted by alex67500 (Post 31390271)
(Bordeaux)

I even searched for BOD on Google and found out it was Bordeux and still typed Bodrum. Either way not America!

alex67500 Aug 7, 2019 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Yeoman5 (Post 31389722)
Every time I scroll to the bottom of this thread, the “fHave you been delayed ? Claim here!” advert pops up.
Second flight canx, now departing 2027. Now, where’s that “longest time spent in lounge” thread?

I believe it was @eightblack 's JFK adventures

ajeleonard Aug 7, 2019 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Schwann (Post 31390208)

Nor is Bordeaux ;)

BAEC Aug 7, 2019 11:15 am

Got to love this.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e98601afc4.png

PUCCI GALORE Aug 7, 2019 11:19 am

Originally Posted by travellingowl (Post 31389034)
Were you able to print / download boarding passes? - I've checked in for LGW-TPA tomorrow but it will not let me download boarding passes (says 'Boarding pass print not available'). Not the end of the world for us as we have to visit a desk anyway to drop off checked bags.

I do apologise - I have only just seen this. Yes, I was able to download them - and now I have printed them off. I waited a bit for things to cool down as I imagined that the site could even crash with all the flight changes that people are having to do

tuonopepper Aug 7, 2019 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A (Post 31390250)
Has BA announced any cancellations for tomorrow? Not seeing any but I'm sure my morning flight to MAN would be a candidate

I would suggest the train but a Pendolino lost its Pantograph this morning which screwed up everything in and out of London Euston until mid afternoon!

There is always Megabus :-)

Cw novice Aug 7, 2019 11:27 am

Just to add to the misery an LHR & LCY - EDI have both been diverted to GLA due to weather in EDI, don't know if this will have a further knock on effect.

Yeoman5 Aug 7, 2019 11:35 am

Still here, almost 7 hours. Another glass? Oh ok then. There’s zero chance of me driving home if my flight gets cancelled again.

subject2load Aug 7, 2019 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Samolyot (Post 31390294)

One day ruins your holiday? Buck up, snowflake!

That’s a cheap jibe.

Some holidays will involve onward domestic / regional connections from the initial place of arrival ; connections which could prove difficult to rearrange at short notice, at such a busy time of year. They might be starting a long train trip, a service with infrequent departures. They could be joining a safari which operates only a weekly basis. Or, as already mentioned, they might be connecting to a cruise.

So perhaps not the best of comments given the potential ramifications of even a single day’s delay for many travellers.

Crampedin13A Aug 7, 2019 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Samolyot (Post 31390294)

One day ruins your holiday? Buck up, snowflake!

Not everyone is as experienced with these types of eventualities as we are on FT. The cruise connection example is something that would be particularly difficult. Most people wouldn't think of building in buffer days.

DeathSlam Aug 7, 2019 11:45 am

The situation seems to be resolved so a tangential remark might not cause me to have my wrists slapped by a mod.

Originally Posted by Nicc HK (Post 31388728)
When will British Airways/other companies learn? Cheap IT costs more than Good IT

Not sure this is true.
Complex systems have complex problems and you can only test for the issues you can foresee.
Spending more time (not cheap) on system design and testing doesn't guarantee a lack of problems in deployment i.e. 'Good'.
One of the major causes of issues is some well meaning person 'fixing' a minor issue in a deployed system to increase quality but inadvertently causing much bigger problems e.g. the NatWest cashpoint issues.
What you really need is to prioritise simpler IT over complex IT and that doesn't necessarily cost any more.

Hire fewer people but ones that know what they are doing.
Less is more.
Don't hack at it.

In reality there is business system psychosis that results in the opposite of all these things because nobody involved really cares about the system, they are all locally optimising for their own reward (either psychological or financial).
So sadly Mr Cruz is not to blame.
You will find it hard to find any individual or organisation specifically to blame.
If there is any real blame it's on human nature.

T8191 Aug 7, 2019 12:01 pm

As things seem to be stabilising, albeit with many unfortunate people left in its wake ...

OLCI. Some of today’s issues related to inability to OLCI. I was struck by my recent JER-LBA on Jet2, where you can OLCI for ALL pax, BOTH ways, at T-28 days with just one click. ISTR our solitary Aer Lingus had a similar lead time.

I guess there’s a good commercial reason for BA (and others) doing T-24 hours, but it does leave the carrier a hostage to fortune.