Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled

Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 8, 19, 12:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: fluffymitten
Wiki Link
BA FLY was down for most of Wednesday 7 August with multiple delays and cancellations.

Service was restored and operational at start of play on Thursday 8 August, until...

1451 BST BA reported issues with BA FLY and reverted to using JFE.
1521 BST BA advised all short haul aircraft have been grounded in/out of outstations due to the loss of the FLY system
1555 BST FLY reported as stable
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 8, 19, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by MiraculousM View Post
I agree but it seemed like there were a lot of them and there were kids and that would have cost a whole lot of money, especially on the day travel and who knows if they had that kind of money.. also, wouldnt they lose their return if they did that? I am just playing devils advocate here.

A lot of arguments regarding the "enhancements" in the past 5 years has been that when you are paying for a plane ticket in economy, you arent paying for the add ons or the service, you are paying to get from point A to point B (including checked luggage if you have paid for that). BA is failing at the simplest of requirements.
I completely agree with your points, I was trying to show for a lot of these situations there are other alternatives you sometimes have to think out of the box.
We often say it on here when people are facing disruption, know what your options are, know what you are will to accept, and go get it.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
We often say it on here when people are facing disruption, know what your options are, know what you are will to accept, and go get it.
You can't expect once-a-year leisure travellers, suddenly caught up in widespread chaos, to know that. They rightfully expect BA to sort things out.
Old Aug 8, 19, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
I have to say, I find your lack of empathy for the thousands who had their holidays disrupted quite appalling.
I have an awful lot of empathy for people caught up in this situation, and in any similar situation be it IT issues, weather or strikes. It is awful.

I have been having sleepless nights about cancellations for the flights I am taking next week in case things go wrong.
However as this is me going to a major triathlon, which I have trained for the last 30 weeks, and I have to transport luggage and bike etc.But what I have done is to look at how I might get round eventual problems.OK, seasoned traveller, I hear you say, I would just say some using a bit of sense. This race is important to me, I want to get there, and do it, so I plan.
Old Aug 8, 19, 6:12 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
We have no idea what the root cause is but if it's a failed deployment it's absolutely unacceptable. It's just amateur hour.
Let's not pretend that there are any 'ifs.' The root cause seems to have been established and the person responsible identified by some here within 10 minutes after the events started to unfold. Many minds have already issued their judgments....but, yeah, 'we have no idea what the root cause is.'

(There was a pretty good explanation as to what is actually going on and why this keeps happening, that was largely ignored because it is easier to follow the cool kids and say what is popular. I am sure we'll see many more 'cost-cutting' posts or 'I-actually-do-not-know-BA's-system-but-I-also-have-an-IT-department-and-it-seems-to-be-working-OK-so-why-can't-BA-keep-its-IT-working' posts).

Last edited by Andriyko; Aug 8, 19 at 8:12 am
Old Aug 8, 19, 6:53 am

I overhead a somewhat astonishing conversation this morning at the First Wing - passengers had been booked to fly EDI-LHR-HKG (possibly onwards) but missed their connection/got cancelled etc yesterday, and were trying to get out to HKG at some point in the next few days. What was most shocking was that it was a party of 4 adults travelling in F, 2 of the adults were elderly and in wheelchairs yet they slept in the T5 check-in concourse overnight. We know BA sometimes do not provide either hotel accommodation or information about their (notional) up to £200 self-imposed limit for hotel claims, but to leave 2 elderly people sleeping overnight in their wheelchairs tells you all you need to know.
Buster, AdBoy, Silver Fox and 9 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 6:58 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; TG ROP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY View Post
I have an awful lot of empathy for people caught up in this situation, and in any similar situation be it IT issues, weather or strikes. It is awful.

I have been having sleepless nights about cancellations for the flights I am taking next week in case things go wrong.
However as this is me going to a major triathlon, which I have trained for the last 30 weeks, and I have to transport luggage and bike etc.But what I have done is to look at how I might get round eventual problems.OK, seasoned traveller, I hear you say, I would just say some using a bit of sense. This race is important to me, I want to get there, and do it, so I plan.
And good for you! But it sounds like you are one person taking an important trip. How about all the families on their "important trips" - are you suggesting that they all double book just in case?
Old Aug 8, 19, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by johnaalex View Post
And good for you! But it sounds like you are one person taking an important trip. How about all the families on their "important trips" - are you suggesting that they all double book just in case?
I am not one person, we are actually 3 on this trip. It is not a whole wedding party.
I am not at all suggesting that they all double book, and that is not what I have done either, I have however looked at alternatives for my trip, so I know by what date I must, absolute latest be in Canada if I want to race.
I have an idea who flies from where to get to where I need to go. I know how long it will take to drive or take the train from other eastern seaboard airports to where I need to get to etc.

If it all goes south I will be reliant on rebooking etc. but I know what my options are and how long I have to get it sorted out.

Anyway as there is not a lot more to add to this thread I will sign off here.

Safe travels all

SB
Old Aug 8, 19, 7:26 am

Real time from T5. The baggage belts are down. Everything else was working fine but FLY is now showing “the circle of doom”. Queues are lengthening. There’s talk of JFE but not many know how to use it. We were almost all done but one of our BPs got rejected at security...

Last edited by Wingnut; Aug 8, 19 at 9:58 am Reason: apostrophisation, that’s what you need
Old Aug 8, 19, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
Let's not pretend that there are any 'ifs.' The root cause seems to have been established and the person responsible identified by some here within 10 minutes after the events started to unfold. Many minds have already issued their judgments....but, yeah, 'we have no idea what the root cause is.'

(There was a pretty good explanation as to what is actually going on and why this keeps happening, that was largely ignored because it is easier to follow the cool kids and say what is popular. I am sure we'll see many more 'cost-cutting' posts or 'I-actually-do-not-know-BA's-system-but-I-also-have-an-IT-department-and-it-seems-to-be-working-OK-so-why-can't-BA-keep-its-IT-working').
I haven't seen that explanation, could you please post a link to that post, I'm genuinely interested in reading it, I wasn't aware any proclamation on root cause had taken place
orbitmic and Silver Fox like this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 7:39 am

Apparently it was just a 5-10 minute outage...
Tobias-UK likes this.

Last edited by Wingnut; Aug 8, 19 at 7:44 am
Old Aug 8, 19, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
Real time from T5. The baggage belts are down. Everything else was working fine but FLY is now showing “the circle of doom”. Queues are lengthening. There’s talk of JFE but not many know how to use it. We were almost all done but one of our BPs got rejected at security...
JFE?
Old Aug 8, 19, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by BAWatson View Post
I've not caught up with the full thread yet, but want to thank you for this. Having been sworn at and verbally abused today it's been difficult. But the hugs and tears of happiness have fortunately made it more positive.
I only dealt with the social media team on Twitter, but again brilliant.
Old Aug 8, 19, 7:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Avis PC, Eurostar CB, the Amex plat stuff
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
I haven't seen that explanation, could you please post a link to that post, I'm genuinely interested in reading it, I wasn't aware any proclamation on root cause had taken place
There's a post upthread about the SIP (Systems Integration Platform) which is a bit of software which centrally manages data flows between various legacy and newer systems.
The link: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31388845-post115.html

There was also a Captain talking about a failed BT network link, but with the levels of network resilience available to even small businesses these days I'd hate to think that is the real root cause.
Old Aug 8, 19, 7:53 am

I hear there's issues again. Prepare for more disruption.
Old Aug 8, 19, 8:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by fluffymitten View Post
I hear there's issues again. Prepare for more disruption.
Perhaps it is this?:
and:
Apparently it was just a 5-10 minute outage...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: