Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled

Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 8, 19, 12:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: fluffymitten
Wiki Link
BA FLY was down for most of Wednesday 7 August with multiple delays and cancellations.

Service was restored and operational at start of play on Thursday 8 August, until...

1451 BST BA reported issues with BA FLY and reverted to using JFE.
1521 BST BA advised all short haul aircraft have been grounded in/out of outstations due to the loss of the FLY system
1555 BST FLY reported as stable
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 8, 19, 3:39 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by Tottie66 View Post
Maybe preparing his resignation speech?
Nah, he's searching for the high-vis jacket so he can wear it for the public statement.
Buster and Tottie66 like this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 3:43 am

To the person that was saying "snowflakes".. one of the people that BBC interviewed had a wedding to go to.. and as the shot pans out, there is a BA staff member telling them that they have no hotels to book them into.

Never have i been more relieved that my next couple of flights are booked with Ryanair. haha
Richmond_Surrey likes this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by MiraculousM View Post

Never have i been more relieved that my next couple of flights are booked with Ryanair. haha
Hold on to that laughing at others because Ryanair pilots have voted to strike and have announced dates already.
wrp96, alex67500, Lefly and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 3:57 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by johnaalex View Post
And still no pubic statement from Alex Cruz!
I think an edit is required here ... spelling error.
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:03 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Avis PC, Eurostar CB, the Amex plat stuff
Originally Posted by BAWatson View Post
I've not caught up with the full thread yet, but want to thank you for this. Having been sworn at and verbally abused today it's been difficult. But the hugs and tears of happiness have fortunately made it more positive.
That reminds me of TFL staff being abused during a strike 8-9 years ago... Somebody jumped in before I could, saying there was no point abusing people who were actually working just because the people on strike weren't there to take the blame! I bet you had an awful day, but I'm glad you had something positive to take away from it.
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Hold on to that laughing at others because Ryanair pilots have voted to strike and have announced dates already.

Nah not laughing at others at all. I actually feel for them more than most. I knew that they were striking too but they dont fall near my dates. BA needs something big to come back from this PR mess. DId the last one have people crying on breakfast news? This is a genuine question as i cant remember.

(Also, the two times i have been delayed by ryanair, i got my eu261 instantly).
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
To the person that was saying "snowflakes".. one of the people that BBC interviewed had a wedding to go to.. and as the shot pans out, there is a BA staff member telling them that they have no hotels to book them into.
But as they were connecting from Newcastle I was wondering why they were in departures and were not sorting out their issues at flight connections?

Also as the wedding was on Saturday, and it was Wednesday they had done no thinking round the problem.
Venice and then on Croatia I think was the itinerary, they could have done the trip today by train with 2 changes... London to Paris Paris to Lausanne/Geneva Lausanne/Geneva to Venice.
I am sorry deep breath sometimes, and sort out your priorities and your plan B and C.

No hotel, book one and claim back, including transport and food.

Perhaps it is because the type of person I am, but I have already looked at my options for my flights next week in case something goes wrong...
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:08 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by jdsworld View Post
Nah, he's searching for the high-vis jacket so he can wear it for the public statement.
Probably sent over to France to a "Gilet jaune" :-)
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:09 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; TG ROP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1
Originally Posted by BAEC View Post
I think an edit is required here ... spelling error.
Done - thank you for spotting that. ^
alex67500 and BAEC like this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY View Post
But as they were connecting from Newcastle I was wondering why they were in departures and were not sorting out their issues at flight connections?

Also as the wedding was on Saturday, and it was Wednesday they had done no thinking round the problem.
Venice and then on Croatia I think was the itinerary, they could have done the trip today by train with 2 changes... London to Paris Paris to Lausanne/Geneva Lausanne/Geneva to Venice.
I am sorry deep breath sometimes, and sort out your priorities and your plan B and C.

No hotel, book one and claim back, including transport and food.

Perhaps it is because the type of person I am, but I have already looked at my options for my flights next week in case something goes wrong...
I agree but it seemed like there were a lot of them and there were kids and that would have cost a whole lot of money, especially on the day travel and who knows if they had that kind of money.. also, wouldnt they lose their return if they did that? I am just playing devils advocate here.

A lot of arguments regarding the "enhancements" in the past 5 years has been that when you are paying for a plane ticket in economy, you arent paying for the add ons or the service, you are paying to get from point A to point B (including checked luggage if you have paid for that). BA is failing at the simplest of requirements.
SWISSBOBBY and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Gold

I saw this.

Looked terrible.

Some lemon saying we dont have any hotels. There are thousands of rooms in London and he just says "no"

ridiculous
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DeathSlam View Post
The situation seems to be resolved so a tangential remark might not cause me to have my wrists slapped by a mod.

Not sure this is true.
Complex systems have complex problems and you can only test for the issues you can foresee.
Spending more time (not cheap) on system design and testing doesn't guarantee a lack of problems in deployment i.e. 'Good'.
One of the major causes of issues is some well meaning person 'fixing' a minor issue in a deployed system to increase quality but inadvertently causing much bigger problems e.g. the NatWest cashpoint issues.
What you really need is to prioritise simpler IT over complex IT and that doesn't necessarily cost any more.

Hire fewer people but ones that know what they are doing.
Less is more.
Don't hack at it.

In reality there is business system psychosis that results in the opposite of all these things because nobody involved really cares about the system, they are all locally optimising for their own reward (either psychological or financial).
So sadly Mr Cruz is not to blame.
You will find it hard to find any individual or organisation specifically to blame.
If there is any real blame it's on human nature.
Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
How refreshing to read a post with a sense of reason and common sense.
Originally Posted by Wayland View Post
I disagree with much of this.

Whilst it's not possible to engineer any software system, particularly a complex one with a multitude of functionality, to be error free, it is possible to engineer resilience such that failures do not cause widespread and prolonged outages except in the most extreme "tail event" circumstances. And I'm talking from personal experience here - I run a team of hundreds of engineers responsible for systems I estimate to be of roughly similar complexity to BA's, and despite deploying 10+ changes per day, these types of outages simply do not happen (and I'm talking decade plus, not a short time frame) . With BA they seem to happen multiple times per year.
​​​​​
​​​​Ultimately Cruz is to blame. In my experience, apart from in the "tech" companies, there are few people in executive management positions in industry who understand and value technology, but many execs pay lip service to it. But it's an area where, as the saying goes, quality really is free.
I absolutely agree with Wayland here. We have no idea what the root cause is but if it's a failed deployment it's absolutely unacceptable. It's just amateur hour.

While my team of software engineers is only around 10 in size and the systems we manage aren't as complex as BA's, one of our primary projects involves over a dozen servers operating systems on several different codebase and languages all interacting with each other (Python, PHP, Node, amongst others) and we have a minimum of two, often 3 pre-deployment release environments for testing from software, business rules and database compatibility aspects. It's rare that a deployment causes disruption but more importantly we build software to fail gracefully and can roll back changes quickly to regain the previous status quo.

Yes, avoiding all issues is likely impossible, but the severity of this should be very avoidable.
DYKWIA and Wayland like this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY View Post
Presumably they were where they were told to be. Your average leisure passenger, who might only visit LHR once a year, shouldn't be expected to know the difference.

I have to say, I find your lack of empathy for the thousands who had their holidays disrupted quite appalling.
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:49 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Was chatting to a couple of the CCR staff this morning, who said to me yesterday (from around midday) was one of the worst days they can remember.

Angry, upset, and frustrated passengers galore, as well as many who suddenly found themselves stuck in the lounge waiting for guest services to come to their aid.

I'm thankful I wasnt there, albeit a family member was badly caught up at an outstation.

However, while there is no denying the IT team let the side down, I think those who were at the airport and on the ground, deserve a round of applause for what sounds like a horrendous day.

M
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post

However, while there is no denying the IT team let the side down, I think those who were at the airport and on the ground, deserve a round of applause for what sounds like a horrendous day.

M
Blaming the IT team for BAs terrible IT system that is constantly breaking is slightly unfair as i am sure that they did their best to get this fixed and im positive that they were having an equally bad day as staff on the ground.

The person that needs to be blamed is the person that cut the IT budget so that crappy systems are put in place and the manager that authorised this. They are working with what they are given.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: