Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fluffymitten
BA FLY was down for most of Wednesday 7 August with multiple delays and cancellations.

Service was restored and operational at start of play on Thursday 8 August, until...

1451 BST BA reported issues with BA FLY and reverted to using JFE.
1521 BST BA advised all short haul aircraft have been grounded in/out of outstations due to the loss of the FLY system
1555 BST FLY reported as stable
Print Wikipost

Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:48 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by RobDBA
Just pushed back from the gate at 00:06 for the flight to EDI that was due to leave at 21:05.

BA had better not have a conveniently slow clock...
I'm sorry to hear of the delay and it must have been a miserable and testing day for many flyers today

The scheduled time of arrival should have been 2225 and it's showing as arriving at 0121 but it's when the doors open that counts assuming that specific flight is eligible for compensation.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by RobDBA
Just pushed back from the gate at 00:06 for the flight to EDI that was due to leave at 21:05.

BA had better not have a conveniently slow clock...

will be interested to know the outcome of any EU261 claim. This flight arrived 01:22 so 3 mins inside the 3 hours, I understand the arrival time is used and I fully expect BA will dance on that pin head to avoid any claim.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Exciting announcement on BA280 after boarding and settling in to seat...

"Will all passengers please present their boarding passes to a member of the ground crew due to a falsified boarding pass"

Had to do a manual boarding without using usual gate scanners, just 1/6 normal barcode scanners was active and a huge ream of papers to hand
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by binman
will be interested to know the outcome of any EU261 claim. This flight arrived 01:22 so 3 mins inside the 3 hours, I understand the arrival time is used and I fully expect BA will dance on that pin head to avoid any claim.
I believe a court ruling was that it was 'doors open' time.

One time my daughters were delayed on TATL flight that 'arrived' a few minutes with the 4 hour cut-off, although they then had to wait 10-15 minutes for the doors to be opened. Initially BA only sent a 50% amount, until I quoted the court ruling and BA paid the full amount.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
where do you get 0122 from? EF has it as landing 0112 and arriving at 0116.

Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by CKBA
....................... Initially BA only sent a 50% amount, until I quoted the court ruling and BA paid the full amount.

An innocent mistake, surely. How would BA management be expected to know about Court rulings ?

They were no doubt appreciative that you were kind enough to enlighten them, and I presume they said as much in their final response.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by subject2load

That’s a cheap jibe.

Some holidays will involve onward domestic / regional connections from the initial place of arrival ; connections which could prove difficult to rearrange at short notice, at such a busy time of year. They might be starting a long train trip, a service with infrequent departures. They could be joining a safari which operates only a weekly basis. Or, as already mentioned, they might be connecting to a cruise.

So perhaps not the best of comments given the potential ramifications of even a single day’s delay for many travellers.
Yes. The recent weather delay to my flight from Krakow to LHR being delayed 18 hours. The cost...? 200 quid in new train tickets to Cornwall. 60 quid to buy dinner and drinks for my friend who kindly hosted us in London as by time we arrived last train to Cornwall had left. 40 quid in Ubers and the irreplaceable bit, missing my mum's 70th birthday celebration dinner she had been planning for ages.

But gee, people best just buck up. What difference does a day matter? Ey?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Well I got caught up in this but got off rather lightly, being a 40 min late departure on the 710 to Zurich, which gave me little over an hour to make my connection - Sichuan to Prague - which I did but it was a bit tighter than I’d planned! The return 861 from Prague eventually left just over an hour late resulting in an hour late arrival back last night. Could have been a lot worse though! Fingers crossed today’s Madrid day trip goes smoothly!
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Originally Posted by TTmex
Yes. The recent weather delay to my flight from Krakow to LHR being delayed 18 hours. The cost...? 200 quid in new train tickets to Cornwall. 60 quid to buy dinner and drinks for my friend who kindly hosted us in London as by time we arrived last train to Cornwall had left. 40 quid in Ubers and the irreplaceable bit, missing my mum's 70th birthday celebration dinner she had been planning for ages.

But gee, people best just buck up. What difference does a day matter? Ey?
To be honest, any situation can be turned into a "first world/millennial/soft" problem

In your case, (sarcasm on), back in our days, our friends never expected dinner and drinks for hosting us in emergencies. And also back in our days, we would rather walk instead of getting into strangers' cars (Uber) and then complain about paying for it

Finding it hard to find some sort of "first world problem" for the birthday. but I am sure some people will be able to say "buck up" tp that as well
wrp96 and TTmex like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Gatwick is an oasis of calm this morning, check in and lounge quiet for an August morning. Had expected things to be busier but all running smoothly. 🙂
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Safe travels to all today.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
where do you get 0122 from? EF has it as landing 0112 and arriving at 0116.

I was reading this thread at the time and saw that ba.com and the Edinburgh Airport Arrivals pages were showing 01:22 initially so maybe from there if binman doesn't have EF, which I do have...………….. but I couldn't be bothered to sign in
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:52 am

Hopefully calmer seas out there today but...... the pressure is on BA. This cannot happen again.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PETER01
I was reading this thread at the time and saw that ba.com and the Edinburgh Airport Arrivals pages were showing 01:22 initially so maybe from there if binman doesn't have EF, which I do have...………….. but I couldn't be bothered to sign in
Interesting, I checked ba.com too shortly after posting and is showed 0116 too. Must be a conspiracy to not pay compensation
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by kaizenflying
Hopefully calmer seas out there today but...... the pressure is on BA. This cannot happen again.
Hopefully things will get back to normal for those affected. Given that FTr's see things from a different perspective it would have been a worry for many.

It will happen again that's for sure at some point as the only things that are 100% guaranteed in life are...….. Death and Taxes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.