FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1981933-wed-7-aug-ba-systems-down-flights-disrupted-cancelled.html)

KARFA Aug 7, 2019 9:06 am

Originally Posted by rapidex (Post 31389575)
LHR must have run out of gates to put the inbounds, hence the diversions.

Yes, and many flights have been held at outstations for the same reason.

ginger_lord Aug 7, 2019 9:15 am

Flying from LAX-LHR (BA280) in a few hours so looking forward to whatever drama occurs on the landing (or where we land) and the subsequent travel up to MAN. I couldn't use OLCI at all last night and just assumed like last time it was due to a plane change/upgrade or SSSS. Everytime i logged it it couldnt retrieve my account, this morning it does but website couldn't check me in. The app worked fine and downloaded boarding passes fine.

RoyalSwazi Aug 7, 2019 9:45 am

We are moving quickly into a society that’s more and more IT dependent. It’s part of the basics. Without IT, we can’t do our job, pay our bills or get our groceries. It needs to work. I grew up partly in Africa and can do fine without electricity, but water is a bit of a challenge. The difference was that we knew they (water & electricity) were unreliable and planned thereafter. Our modern societies do not. These days they are both dependent upon IT systems working.perhaps it’s time we started preparing better - and taking the cost into account.

yojimbo26 Aug 7, 2019 9:54 am

Originally Posted by BAEC (Post 31389718)
You will not be allowed to disembark. Either the Captain disemabarks all passengers at LGW or no-one.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e709e7e840.jpg

Well I can happily report I have escaped G-ZBKI at Gatwick along with about 20 interpid travellers and am on the bus to the Terminal. Thought it best to bail rather then fly up to Heathrow gawd knows when!

ginger_lord Aug 7, 2019 9:58 am

Well my BA1394 flight tomorrow (8th) is now asking me whether i want to refund or rebook which I'd love to do, but my flight from LAX->LHR today is still showing as scheduled even though the aircraft is still at LHR having been delayed for 6+hrs so I guess my flight will be delayed/cancelled...

Edit: Apparently the outbound flight did leave roughly on time, its just flightradar not being updated:
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba281
but this shows it enroute:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...035Z/EGLL/KLAX

BAEC Aug 7, 2019 9:59 am

Originally Posted by yojimbo26 (Post 31389909)
Well I can happily report I have escaped G-ZBKI at Gatwick along with about 20 interpid travellers and am on the bus to the Terminal. Thought it best to bail rather then fly up to Heathrow gawd knows when!

Well done you.

BoeBus Aug 7, 2019 10:00 am

Our Captain said that the BT Internet connection on which their IT runs failed and is the cause of all the disruption! Almost unbelievable

corporate-wage-slave Aug 7, 2019 10:01 am

Originally Posted by yojimbo26 (Post 31389909)

Yes, I going to suggest that while what was suggested earlier - namely it's all out or none out - is generally correct, in the case of diversions to LGW BA captains do sometimes let HBO passengers out after a bit of pleading. The reason why this isn't a great idea is when it turns out that someone who declares themselves to be HBO actually has a few things in hold, and a few other concerns along these lines. At some point it may be that the flight may end up terminated at the diversion airport.

Steve_ZA Aug 7, 2019 10:02 am

Originally Posted by BoeBus (Post 31389932)
Our Captain said that the BT Internet connection on which their IT runs failed and is the cause of all the disruption! Almost unbelievable

It's guaranteed that a 3rd party will be found responsible and all fingers pointed in that direction, however I don't think anyone would believe the BT story.

Aus_Mal Aug 7, 2019 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 31389837)
It is worth noting that Virgin Atlantic is in the process of lauching a major campaign to block BA's expansion with the 3rd runway. I was chatting to Shai Weiss about it a few weeks ago, and he already started dropping it in to every interview and speech he gives. At present, BA believes it is legally entitled to 50% of the new slots that will be created, which will simply mean BA closing Gatwick and moving everything across. Virgin believes there should be a different method of allocation.

Your post is not related to the disruption today, but even if it was I think you're not correct. BA will keep LGW, LCY and LHR regardless of the third runway.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 7, 2019 10:13 am

Rebooking onto OAL (Other Airlines) revised update for 16:45 hrs, which is update 4.

The following rebooking is allowed, if your flight is cancelled today or tomorrow (Thursday 8 August) and you have a BA 125 tickets - including Avios / redemptions. It can be rebooked by Contact Centres (which used to be very unusual outside Joint Business and oneworld routes), as well as by airport staff

- SAS (contrary to the previous discussion)
- Air France
- Air Baltic
- Loganair
- KLM
- Philippine Airlines
- Luxair
- Gulf Air
- Brussels Airlines
- AIr Malaysia
- Air Mauritius
- Qatar
- Air Malta
- El Al
- Lufthansa Group (so including Swiss and Austrian) - but no later than 2 days later than the original date for some reason
- Latam
- Iberia
- Icelandair
Other airlines may also be possible if the above doesn't work, but BA has specific agreements on the above.

These are reactive guidelines, so you won't get rebooked proactively on to these flights.

N1120A Aug 7, 2019 10:17 am

Here I was thinking we got SSSS for our BOD-LGW tomorrow. Check in worked, but app BPs wouldn't come through. Hopefully, they sort this quickly or get us on an airline that is competent.

yojimbo26 Aug 7, 2019 10:19 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31389939)
Yes, I going to suggest that while what was suggested earlier - namely it's all out or none out - is generally correct, in the case of diversions to LGW BA captains do sometimes let HBO passengers out after a bit of pleading. The reason why this isn't a great idea is when it turns out that someone who declares themselves to be HBO actually has a few things in hold, and a few other concerns along these lines. At some point it may be that the flight may end up terminated at the diversion airport.

I did chat with the Captain who we being very polite and communicative with the PAX, I think he pulled a few strings to get us the bus to the terminal, sounded like a bit of a battle.

I am already wizzing my way to London on Gatwick Express, that turned out the be the fastest I have ever egressed Gatwick.

Samolyot Aug 7, 2019 10:23 am

BA and computers doesn’t seem to be a match made in heaven.

balowlyblue Aug 7, 2019 10:24 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31389991)
Rebooking onto OAL (Other Airlines) revised update for 16:45 hrs, which is update 4.

The following rebooking is allowed, if your flight is cancelled today or tomorrow (Thursday 8 August) and you have a BA 125 tickets - including Avios / redemptions. It can be rebooked by Contact Centres (which used to be very unusual outside Joint Business and oneworld routes), as well as by airport staff

- SAS (contrary to the previous discussion)
- Air France
- Air Baltic
- Loganair
- KLM
- Philippine Airlines
- Luxair
- Gulf Air
- Brussels Airlines
- AIr Malaysia
- Air Mauritius
- Qatar
- Air Malta
- El Al
- Lufthansa Group (so including Swiss and Austrian) - but no later than 2 days later than the original date for some reason
- Latam
- Iberia
- Icelandair
Other airlines may also be possible if the above doesn't work, but BA has specific agreements on the above.

These are reactive guidelines, so you won't get rebooked proactively on to these flights.

Just a question regarding this (I'm not affected) - say for example FCO cancelled, doesn't look like Alitalia is on this list so no direct route - would the ticket be rerouted with a connection for example KLM LHR-AMS-FCO, or is it direct flights only??