Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

5 Random Observations From a 30 Thousand Mile Month (for what its worth)

Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond

Screaming babies
All the way to KL and back. One has to remain philosophical. It takes great fortitude to do so, but what other choice do you have? Complaining only weakens your ability to tolerate the inevitable. It helps a little to remember back when I was that parent (tough if you don't have at least that solace). Summer travel sucks sometimes.

Talkative staff behind First
From London to Chicago (among others). Less philosophy required here and more assertiveness. However, you can end up in the same situation as the crying babies so complaining is a risky business. You may have to put up with it anyway (note: if you can't get a seat somewhere in the middle of the F section, sit at the front on the 777 and 787. They seem to be less talkative in the front galley. In row 4 on the A380, you are completely screwed).

I prefer F over CW
I am looking forward to the new CW seats but in the mean time, I try to book F as often as I can. At 200K miles a year, it does make a difference. F is often possible these days with the price between CW and F often being just 400-500 Euro each way (of course that is on top of a very expensive CW ticket). I find airport upgrades pretty good value too.

The quality consistency gap is getting wider
The younger crews come with enthusiasm but lack experience. The older crews, not always the other way round, but often. There is not always a personal greeting but not sure if that is just because I am asleep when the CSD gets time. Napkin is not always placed on my lap (personally I would rather is wasn't...way too intimate). No gap in food quality: its just on a general downward trend for some reason (I don't think this is a cost issue like most other quality issues. I think it is just hard to maintain quality consistency over so many units shipped over a long period).

I don't know everyone in the CCR
Nice to have met you Dawn (don't look for her name tag because you won't find it).
wrp96, flygirl68, Xonus and 7 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I do like the writing style. Makes for a quick, easy read (yet still manages to convey a balanced sense of your general perspective).

Wonder will you still deem the additional cost of F worth it on those routes (few & far between for a while longer, must be said) where the CW Suite is available .......

^

dubistokay, expatboy and florens like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by subject2load
I do like the writing style. Makes for a quick, easy read (yet still manages to convey a balanced sense of your general perspective).

Thank you, subject2load that is very kind of you.

Originally Posted by subject2load
Wonder will you still deem the additional cost of F worth it on those routes (few & far between for a while longer, must be said) where the CW Suite is available .......

^
That is indeed a very good question. I guess if I am honest with myself, it is not just having that nice seat alone, but I do like the extra special feeling you get being in F. I have been crossing the Atlantic every month for around the last 14 years (plus a couple of RTWs each year) and I am very weary of it. The little things do count. I will update once I get a go in the new CW (which could be a while since I seem to have the luck of very often flying on the oldest aircraft in the fleet).
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
I read the OP in Jacob Rees-Mogg's voice.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mordac
LOl. Only if he has a slight Aussie accent.
Mordac likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by mjack99
LOl. Only if he has a slight Aussie accent.
I think it's how you started the post with the "one has to remain philosophical". Feels like the sort of thing Mogg would say!

Have to say I did the same (read the post in a Mogg esque voice) without even realising until I saw the other comment!
Mordac likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tilal6991
I think it's how you started the post with the "one has to remain philosophical". Feels like the sort of thing Mogg would say!

Have to say I did the same (read the post in a Mogg esque voice) without even realising until I saw the other comment!
OMG. Shoot me now.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by mjack99
Screaming babies
All the way to KL and back. One has to remain philosophical. It takes great fortitude to do so, but what other choice do you have? Complaining only weakens your ability to tolerate the inevitable. It helps a little to remember back when I was that parent (tough if you don't have at least that solace). Summer travel sucks sometimes.
Think yourself lucky that you didn't get screaming toddlers running around the cabin all the way from Australia to the UK, and then in the other direction, and repeat the whole thing again, all in less than a month. Much more powerful lungs than babies too!

I was nearly reduced to tears due to tiredness (I connected from elsewhere in Australia, and I had a connecting flight from the UK as well, so all up, I was awake for about 48 hours) and because I had to work but couldn't concentrate, and I had to work before departure and upon arrival. They were the most miserable flights ever. Parents were so drunk they were fast asleep in stupor and couldn't be woken by cabin crew, and despite the crew effort those toddlers couldn't be controlled (and I also tried to help, but in the end everything failed).

Travelling around Christmas sucks. Not just sometimes... It was bad enough that I no longer fly BA between Australia and the UK around Christmas, as every single Australia to UK and vv flight around Christmas in F was horrid in that way. (I also no longer travel straight through, but pay extra to stop in Singapore if at all possible, all other times, in case I get this again!)

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Aug 7, 2019 at 9:01 am
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
You often also get screaming adults on flights to LAS. Those are even worse.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXPLT
You often also get screaming adults on flights to LAS. Those are even worse.
At least you can zip tie them to a seat if they get totally out of hand. Somewhat frowned upon doing that to a child nowadays.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by thetaxman
At least you can zip tie them to a seat if they get totally out of hand. Somewhat frowned upon doing that to a child nowadays.
But Sixtus is very well behaved.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by thetaxman
Some might even pay you for the privilege!
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Parents were so drunk they were fast asleep in stupor and couldn't be woken by cabin crew, and despite the crew effort those toddlers couldn't be controlled (and I also tried to help, but in the end everything failed).
That is terrible.

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Travelling around Christmas sucks. Not just sometimes... It was bad enough that I no longer fly BA around Christmas, as every single Australia to UK and vv flight around Christmas in F was horrid in that way. (I also no longer travel straight through, but pay extra to stop in Singapore if at all possible, all other times, in case I get this again!)
Yes, we discovered that trick of not travelling straight through back when we had toddlers :-) Nearly killed us a few times (once in Aus my wife said she wasn't getting on a plane again....wish I had held her to that)
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Too many I’s!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.