Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delay due to a needed software update

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bakera
That should have been bootstrap and IPL. Booting (and rebooting) is an abbreviation of bootstrapping (comes from the phrase "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps") - which on my old PDP-11 would require the operator to manually set the binary machine code, using phycial swicthes, one instruction at a time to instruct the system to load the OS from a Winchester drive.
I remember having to load enough code with the switches on a PDP-8 to allow it to read a paper tape. It was easier on a KIM-1 with a hex keypad!
bakera likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
So what have we learned from this thread so far? Mostly that the FT BAEC contributors are by and large bloody old :-)
1P, bakera, toothy and 10 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Pascoe
So what have we learned from this thread so far? Mostly that the FT BAEC contributors are by and large bloody old :-)
“Mature” would be a nicer word.

He is Millennial, I am Mature, others may be Old.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by bakera
I've finally found someone that remembers RM. The kids at work don't believe me when I tell them the size of the floppy disks in my trusty 380Z.
Hey, I did my Computer Studies O level on an RML 380Z

We'd got BBC B’s by the time I did A level and I still have my BBC in the attic!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
System 360s at Runcorn , anyone?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
RTFM was one of the standard help desk responses in my office.
bakera and BertieBadger like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heartybob
These days the manuals all seem to be on-line, which is a great help when the kit isn’t working!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

Hey, I did my Computer Studies O level on an RML 380Z

We'd got BBC B’s by the time I did A level and I still have my BBC in the attic!
I was wondering if anyone would mention the BBC Model B as there was obviously the A and B versions. I also remember using the 380Z but not the Nimbus. For me, I started with a ZX81 and progressed to an Amstrad CPC464 with Green Screen. A friend across the street from me had a ZX80, then a Commodore 64. In spite of an early fascination with computers I decided I wanted to be a lawyer and so read law at university. I now work for an international law firm, not at as attorney but rather managing their global data centres! It was clearly meant to be
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I did my O Level Computing Science (1979-81) using a Commodore Pet programming in BASIC where the back up medium was a cassette tape recorder located where the key pad is now..

We were allowed a maximum of 1 hour time on it a week to do our project work.

A level project was done using a phone link on a telex like machine to Teesside Poly. Dialling in was literally that - dial the number and when you got the tones slam the handset into the cups on the machine and hope the link didn't break!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It must have been 1980/81 ... I returned from the Christas break to find my offices at NATS had been provided with computers and printers. No warning, no training, no manuals ... just the hardware!

My boss gave me a week to find out how this stuff worked. I thus started learning DOS, and Word for DOS, on my own, starting with that jolly flashing :C or whatever it was! By Friday I was able to give everyone a sketchy briefing on how to write something and then print it out on the tractor-feed dot-matrix printer to send to what we affectionately called the Typong Pole to be put on headed paper.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by heartybob
Ah yes, the Friendly Manual.

​​​​​​That is what you meant I assume? If that failed did you deploy the "clue by four"?

(The heyday of big iron was just a little before my time, I suspect I'd have enjoyed it)
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
It must have been 1980/81 ... I returned from the Christas break to find my offices at NATS had been provided with computers and printers. No warning, no training, no manuals ... just the hardware!

My boss gave me a week to find out how this stuff worked. I thus started learning DOS, and Word for DOS, on my own, starting with that jolly flashing :C or whatever it was! By Friday I was able to give everyone a sketchy briefing on how to write something and then print it out on the tractor-feed dot-matrix printer to send to what we affectionately called the Typong Pole to be put on headed paper.
My family had an MS-DOS computer in the late 80s and early 90s, and my first job after college was at a construction company whose cost management system was still DOS. They were amazed that 21 year old me in 2006 was familiar enough with DOS to not require training.
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
It seems like you’ve all hijacked the post!

The OP once they land, will obviously be happy that you have all shared your memories from the 60’s, 70’s 80’s, 90’s etc

Can we get back to facts please relevant for the OP.

Thank You
SK, T8191 and LCSinTexas like this.

Last edited by BAEC; Aug 6, 2019 at 12:16 pm
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
System 360s at Runcorn , anyone?
System 360s at UNC Chapel Hill in 1967, they had cunningly hired Fred Brooks as a professor so we had the ultimate Help Desk. Just as well since the Error Message handler had not been written.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by BAEC
It seems like you’ve all hijacked the post!

The OP once they land, will obviously be happy that you have all shared your memories from the 80’s.

Can we get back to facts please relevant for the OP.

Thank You
The mods should probably put all the irrelevant posts into a new thread somewhere obscure since there is clearly pent-up demand!
BAEC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.