Delay due to a needed software update

Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Aircraft departed 3:05 late and is predicted to make up time in the air with a projected arrival at BOS at 16:21, which would be a delay of 2:46. No EC 261/2004 compensation if that sticks or improves.
Can hope that BOS ATC delay the approach or have to wait 15 mins for gate to become available
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Looks like it's just pushed back now with an arrival scheduled 3 hours and 10 minutes late
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Blumie

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. I just spoke to the captain, who said it was a component swap that lead to the need for the software update, which then wouldn’t take. Three hours into our delay he said the engineers are “85% certain” they’ve got it sorted.
Bring back the FEs....

Could have done it on the hoof then.......
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Bloody obvious solution to all IT problems, innit?
Has been working for me over the past 25ish years ^
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Zippo58
Wow ... I was the Product Manager at RM responsible for the Nimbus PC-186! Bet 99% of forum users won't get that reference!!! Nice one Mickeyfly ... made my day.
Takes me back. O Level computer science project written on a 380Z, A Level project written on a "fresh and new to the school" Nimbus. (sighs over the pleasant memories)
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
EASA urged operators to turn their A350s off and on again
Originally Posted by T8191
Bloody obvious solution to all IT problems, innit?
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Has been working for me over the past 25ish years ^
Longer than that. My late father used to work in the field of mainframes, whereas my mother is a total Luddite (unlike her own mother). For a series of weeks, when I was a kid, we would get panicky phone calls every Sunday afternoon due to trouble with the machines. In the end, having heard my dad's own typical response, she would answer these calls asking for my dad with "Well he's down the allotment, so I suggest you IPL and start again" and with that slammed down the phone. Generally her solution worked.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Sadly I'm old enough to know what IPL means, coming from an AS/400 and S38 background. Side A or Side B?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
Sadly I'm old enough to know what IPL means, coming from an AS/400 and S38 background. Side A or Side B?
Initial Program Load.

I can't remember the exact words, but she had a variant which was something like "restrap and then IPL". I know that is why we talk about rebooting, since there were cables that crossed over like a book strap. No point asking my mum, she didn't have a clue what it meant at the time!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:49 am

IT support people will stop using that as their go-to first resolution option if that ever stops fixing 80+ percent of the problems
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Never worked in IT but happy memories of using BBC Basic in the early 80s to produce useful programs for purely personal use.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:10 am

My abiding memory of BBC Micros at school was my lab partner hacking the speech synthesiser that was the Comp Sci teacher's pride and joy, and getting it to tell said teacher to "$^%& OFF Mr XXX" repeatedly on endless loop and then locking it up somehow so it took him the best part of the lesson to get it to stop (somehow he struggled on rather than just pulling the plug on it).

Ahhhh - happy times. Don't know what ever happened to the teacher. My erstwhile lab partner has a fairly high profile and responsible job these days so go figure.....
wrp96 and gingerlucy like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by Zippo58
Wow ... I was the Product Manager at RM responsible for the Nimbus PC-186! Bet 99% of forum users won't get that reference!!! Nice one Mickeyfly ... made my day.
I've finally found someone that remembers RM. The kids at work don't believe me when I tell them the size of the floppy disks in my trusty 380Z.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:19 am

blame Y2K
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
I remember taking delivery of the first ever AS/400 in the UK back in the 80's. Had to have it delivered to our offices in Old Street in the dead of night as IBM didn't want anyone else to see it.

Fast forward 30 years and I joined a new (to me) company - only to find that they're still using AS/400 for a number of business critical applications!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Initial Program Load.

I can't remember the exact words, but she had a variant which was something like "restrap and then IPL". I know that is why we talk about rebooting, since there were cables that crossed over like a book strap. No point asking my mum, she didn't have a clue what it meant at the time!
That should have been bootstrap and IPL. Booting (and rebooting) is an abbreviation of bootstrapping (comes from the phrase "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps") - which on my old PDP-11 would require the operator to manually set the binary machine code, using phycial swicthes, one instruction at a time to instruct the system to load the OS from a Winchester drive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.