Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Economy basic OLCI seat selection strategy?

Economy basic OLCI seat selection strategy?

Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by hotel_user
Depends on how fast his "mate" can drive.... think he is budgeting on 4 days if there are no accidents.
I see what you mean about the money saving! I wonder how much that costs in fuel.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Saint4805
Hi All,

I have stayed at airport hotels a couple of times where I was able to walk to the terminal 24 hours prior to departure and select my seat for free using the check in kiosks.

Cheers!
Is this strategy described anywhere in greater detail?

In particular -

Can one select seats for both segments of a connecting flight after T-24 from the first segment (but more than 24 hours before the second segment)?

Or, if not, can one at least select seats for the second segment (after its T-24) from a different airport?

And, in either case, does checking in at a kiosk lock in the selected seat (e.g., by printing a boarding pass), or is it still possible to switch to a different seat (in the app, or by using the kiosk again) later?

Also (and less critically), once I have a boarding pass, can I go through security to access an airside lounge, even though I'll be leaving the airport and won't be flying out until the next day?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by DoB840

Can one select seats for both segments of a connecting flight after T-24 from the first segment (but more than 24 hours before the second segment)?
Yes you can. As an example, say you are going Canada to somewhere in Europe, with a connection at LHR. When the long haul check in opens, you can check in for the short haul within Europe as well, even though it is more than 24 hours to that segment.
DoB840 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Is this all 24 hours check in valid at the kiosks? I may well be wrong but whilst olci can be done 24 hours ahead, I always thought the kiosks could only be used same day (I know its true of many other airlines so good if ba is more flexible!)

also isnt the only aspire lounge airside? The op was asking for a landslide lounge and I dont think there is any?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Is this all 24 hours check in valid at the kiosks? I may well be wrong but whilst olci can be done 24 hours ahead, I always thought the kiosks could only be used same day (I know its true of many other airlines so good if ba is more flexible!)

also isnt the only aspire lounge airside? The op was asking for a landslide lounge and I dont think there is any?
There is a "pub" airside which is perfectly pleasant. It's name escapes me, but it is towards the right-hand side (South?) security.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by xPositor
There is a "pub" airside which is perfectly pleasant. It's name escapes me, but it is towards the right-hand side (South?) security.
The Five Tuns
xPositor likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Also (and less critically), once I have a boarding pass, can I go through security to access an airside lounge, even though I'll be leaving the airport and won't be flying out until the next day?
You would not get through security at heathrow with a bp for the following day.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Is this all 24 hours check in valid at the kiosks? I may well be wrong but whilst olci can be done 24 hours ahead, I always thought the kiosks could only be used same day (I know it’s true of many other airlines so good if ba is more flexible!)

also isn’t the only aspire lounge airside? The op was asking for a landslide lounge and I don’t think there is any?
I was able to check in at the BA kiosks 24 hours ahead of my departure. I did this at WAW when I was staying at an airport hotel and flying to LHR the next day.

One time when I was assigned a middle seat via OLCI and the check in desks were closed, I even managed to get a BA lounge agent to change my seat at the reception desk even though I wasn't entering the lounge (there was no line and she was happy to help). I then proceeded to the lounge next door with my Lounge Key card and my freshly printed boarding pass.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
You would not get through security at heathrow with a bp for the following day.
I'm actually asking about JFK and FCO, specifically - I'm connecting at LHR in both directions, not originating there.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I'm actually asking about JFK and FCO, specifically - I'm connecting at LHR in both directions, not originating there.
it doesnt matter if you are originating or connecting. You still cant get in to the airside departures area unless you have a bp for a flight that day. Departing and arriving passengers are segregated. If your onward flight is the next day you will have to exit through arrivals and go landside.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I am not sure what the policy would be there. I doubt FCO has machines and I suspect the check in staff there may not let you check in at a desk the day before the flight.

JFK may have machines, not sure, not many outstations do any more. They may be more willing to check you in the day before. @corporate-wage-slave may be able to comment better

Last edited by scottishpoet; Aug 9, 2019 at 5:54 am
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I am not sure what the policy would be there. I doubt FCO has machines and I suspect the check in staff there may not let you check in at a desk the day before the flight.

JFK may have machines, not sure, not many outstations do any more. They may be more willing to check you in the day before. @corporate_wage_slave may be able to comment better
Oh, I naively assumed that all major airports with a BA presence must have BA check-in machines.

Is there a complete list of check-in machines anywhere? I can't find one on ba.com. I'd rather not make a special trip to the airport in vain.

If I can't select a decent seat before my flight, will I still be able to use the check-in kiosk to change my seat while connecting at LHR, or is it too late by then? On my return trip (FCO-LHR-JFK), I do plan to leave the airport, so I'd have physical access to the machines on my way out, but I don't know if they'd work after I've already flown one of two segments.

If there are no machines at JFK or FCO, am I better off waiting until I arrive at the airport for my flight to check-in without having even attempted OLCI, or should I go through OLCI without generating a boarding pass? I'd very much prefer a window seat on the TATL segments - don't care as much about the short-haul segments (but ideally a window would be nice there, too).
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:48 am

I am sorry but I think very few airports have the machines. A number of airports had the machines removed, eg Glasgow.

I also suspect the agent at JFK will check you in for your flight to FCO even if it is next day (and vice versa). Check in times on the connecting flight can exceed 24 hours.

There may be machines at JFK but I never checked in there so do not know
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:50 am

The airports that allow you to check in day before are EDI and LGW

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ng/checking-in
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If there are no machines at JFK or FCO, am I better off waiting until I arrive at the airport for my flight to check-in without having even attempted OLCI, or should I go through OLCI without generating a boarding pass? I'd very much prefer a window seat on the TATL segments - don't care as much about the short-haul segments (but ideally a window would be nice there, too).
I don't use these machines now that status allows seat selection on Basic tickets (originally Basic got no selection with status), but my recollection is that JFK does have the machines, FCO does not. You can't change seats via these machines after a boarding pass has been issued, but regardless you can ask staff to change seats. I can't see you getting that to happen the day before travel if agents are involved. This therefore means that you won't be able to change them via the machines at Flight Connections LHR either.

For the OLCI versus boarding pass - on Basic tickets I don't think delaying the printing will make a difference, your allocated seat will stick unless something unusual happens (equipment change, requirement to keep children together or to line up with the oxygen masks). I'm not sure that delaying OLCI will make a difference either other than it makes it easier for "something unusual" to shift you - and that could be either a positive or negative change.

If the purpose of this is to guarantee a window seat, you will need to pay. If the flights aren't full then you have a reasonable chance of getting one at the airport. If the flights are full then you may struggle since window seats are more popular than aisle seats.
DoB840 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.