Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Freaking out! Your passport and/or visa(s) must be checked at the airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Freaking out! Your passport and/or visa(s) must be checked at the airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Had this yesterday at DUB before flight to US today. I’d updated hotel address on ESTA site, BA.com showed all information provided but they still needed to input hotel address again (or into another system) after scanning passport. Just put it down to the vagaries of airline IT, nothing scary... Though the agent was initially confused (and I got mildly nervous) as the system said I needed a visa!

I avoided an entry on the DYKWIA thread by not going ultra-Diva as I had to wait to the side while nearly everybody else boarded until a second agent came who could discern what the problem was.

(I didn’t need to have passport for DUB-LHR flight but brought with me as thought they may need it. Would have been “interesting” if I’d just made do with passport card that is sufficient for Ireland-UK travel...)
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver. EB Gold
Long time lurker ont he BAEC-forum here.
Originally Posted by mwalsh
Hmm...OSL via LHR (and vice-versa) also factors into our travels. Coincidence?
No you should not worry. The exact same thing happened to me flying back from LAX via LHR to BGO (before LHR-BGO ceased operations), and I am Norwegian. FWIW two friends of mine encountered the very same thing coming back from LAX via LHR to OSL some months ago, even though they are flying to the US quite regularly. Have a safe flight and welcome to Norway
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dev_siwach
It's quite normal don't worry....Your passport is valid and no one can deny it.
Nonsense. You can't make such a bald statement especially as you have no idea what the validity or expiry dates of the OPs passport is!

A passport can be facially valid but you can still be denied entry into a country for example.

My passport if facially valid until August 2021 for some countries but will fail to valid next February to 27 neighbouring countries because of of various rules that could apply from 1st November.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Nonsense. You can't make such a bald statement especially as you have no idea what the validity or expiry dates of the OPs passport is!

A passport can be facially valid but you can still be denied entry into a country for example.

My passport if facially valid until August 2021 for some countries but will fail to valid next February to 27 neighbouring countries because of of various rules that could apply from 1st November.
OP said 2 years of validity left - shouldn’t be close to an edge case then where 3/6 months etc remaining on date of departure comes into play
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
“Freaking out”

Give me a break.
Freaking out is just American for somewhat perturbed. Similar levels of exaggeration are a feature of American, e.g. world series, which actually means domestic tournament.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by Misco60
Freaking out is just American for somewhat perturbed. Similar levels of exaggeration are a feature of American, e.g. world series, which actually means domestic tournament.
Accepted analysis.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
And for those of us who deal with Microsoft on a daily basis, "super excited" and "awesome" really just mean positive/good.
dpfs likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
And for those of us who deal with Microsoft on a daily basis, "super excited" and "awesome" really just mean positive/good.
Or..."it doesn't work since the update, but we don't care"
HighwayToHEL and dpfs like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by JayeJ
upon entering the US my global entry form got the dreaded black X. I don't know if the trip to Ukraine triggered everything but I hope it was an isolated event.
A couple of years ago I got an X when entering the US at LAX.

The Immigration agent,waved me through. I asked him "Why the X?" and he told me the fingerprints did not match. Ah ha. Just before I went through GE, I had visited the restroom and washed my hands. Apparently the water swelled the skin on my fingers enough to cause a mis-match in fingerprint scanning. I've seen the same thing on my iPhone Touch ID when my fingers have been in water recently.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:14 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
This sort of thing happens all the time, and if you traveled more you would probably have met it before.

The issue is the generic wording of "Your passport and/or visa(s) must be checked at the airport". What this actually means is completely non-threatening: "We need to physically see your travel documens", not "You need a visa for this trip". They don't know if you need a visa or not, and they don't know (even though they ought to) how much validity is left on your passport. They just want to see that you are able to travel, and won't give you your boarding passes until they have done. End of story.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Shebamiles, WorldPerks
Perhaps less alarming verbiage would be in order? I spent probably an hour reconfirming that no visas were necessary.
Maybe your sensitivity is the issue. You're crossing an international border, you can expect to have your passport reviewed at some point. How do you react when you're called for secondary inspection or random pat downs?

Flying into US from Canada, not all airlines allow us to have our boarding passes issued until we get to airport and either scan our passport on their machines or someone checks them - never been able to fully checkin online on AS. Others like AC, UA and WS allow it.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:46 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

Accepted.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by ENOV
Long time lurker ont he BAEC-forum here.
Welcome to FT and to the BAEC forum. I am sure one of the official greeters will be along soon - but they may have been delayed by the BA IT chaos today!
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
To be fair, Canada has a team in MLB - Toronto Blue Jays, and has won 2 World Series championships in the early 90s.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Just checked in for the first leg of our trip - LAX-LHR, but could not get boarding passes. Reason was "Your passport and/or visa(s) must be checked at the airport".

We are both US citizens traveling to the UK and then on to Norway after a few days stoppover. The reason for the visit is "tourism" and the duration is only two weeks. My understanding is that visas are not required for either country.

We both have more than 2 years validity left on our passports.

Any idea why we got this? It's never happened before.
It seems to be a bit of a semi-'bug' so to speak. It happens to me all the time when I travel to/from certain airports in the EU or Norway (those are the only places that's ever happened to me) but as I travel through those specific places, I get this quite often. It even lets me print/download the boarding pass, but it says my passport and/or visa must be checked.

I'm a non-visa national for UK (registered traveller in any case, although it is now quite irrelevant) and Schengen (in fact I am strictly speaking not subject to stay limit in the EU, although I do not exercise that rights because I'm too lazy so I enter/leave under the normal 90 days out of 180 in Schengen area), I have tickets to get out of there, and never exceeded my stay limits anywhere.

I turn up at check-in, generally no questions are asked - all they do is to scan my passport at check-in, and Timatic seems to bring up a message that is somewhat confusing and largely irrelevant initially (which seems to come up with some weird requirements until you scroll down and see the relevant paragraph, which might actually be the cause of this 'bug'), that's acknowledged (or overridden, not sure which) by the check-in or gate agent, and it's all sorted. Sometimes, I'm asked if I have a visa, to which I reply I don't need one, so I don't have one, they read the Timatic further and see that I am not required to have a visa, and that's that.

In other words, unless you have known issues such as having visa issues or restriction on entry to your destination, don't worry about it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.