Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA.com cancellation form & US 24-hour refund requirement

BA.com cancellation form & US 24-hour refund requirement

Old Aug 5, 19, 4:53 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: QDF
Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Posts: 1,003
BA.com cancellation form & US 24-hour refund requirement

I just made a booking for September and realized almost immediately that I messed up the outbound date. Under US DOT rules, I should be entitled to a full refund if I cancel within 24 hours.

Does anyone know if the cancellation form on BA.com honors this rule? I'm trying to get through to a human being, but I've been on hold for almost an hour now, and I'm wondering if I have any options if I can't get through.
PlatinumScum is offline  
Old Aug 5, 19, 4:55 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, CA
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 669
You can cancel for free within 24 hours but you need to do so by phone, so I'm afraid you're gonna have to wait on hold. You can also trying DMing BA on twitter - they might be able to do it for you.
theultimateflyer is offline  
Old Aug 5, 19, 4:59 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,803
You can usually do it online. What does it show in Manage My Booking when you select 'cancellation options for this booking'? If nothing too complicated it should show you the full refund amount within 24h.
Ldnn1 is offline  
Old Aug 5, 19, 5:06 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: QDF
Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Posts: 1,003
Originally Posted by theultimateflyer View Post
You can cancel for free within 24 hours but you need to do so by phone, so I'm afraid you're gonna have to wait on hold. You can also trying DMing BA on twitter - they might be able to do it for you.
Fortunately, they picked up a few minutes after I posted this. Refund for full amount processed.
PlatinumScum is offline  
Old Aug 5, 19, 5:07 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: QDF
Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Posts: 1,003
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
You can usually do it online. What does it show in Manage My Booking when you select 'cancellation options for this booking'? If nothing too complicated it should show you the full refund amount within 24h.
I stopped when I read that using the form meant that I agreed to whatever refund BA calculated, so I never got to an amount.

(Fortunately, they did finally pick up, so all is good.)
PlatinumScum is offline  
Old Aug 5, 19, 5:11 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, CA
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 669
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
You can usually do it online. What does it show in Manage My Booking when you select 'cancellation options for this booking'? If nothing too complicated it should show you the full refund amount within 24h.
Is this a recent change? I seemed to recall it must be done by phone, but this was 3 years ago.
theultimateflyer is offline  
Old Aug 5, 19, 5:17 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK - South Coast
Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Posts: 1,563
Originally Posted by theultimateflyer View Post
Is this a recent change? I seemed to recall it must be done by phone, but this was 3 years ago.
Cancelling using the app is very much possible. Unsure when this was brought in. The cancellation screen shows the amount to be refunded prior to the final acceptance click.
anniegray likes this.
krispy84 is offline  
Old Aug 5, 19, 5:17 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,803
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum View Post
I stopped when I read that using the form meant that I agreed to whatever refund BA calculated, so I never got to an amount.

(Fortunately, they did finally pick up, so all is good.)
Yes if you're getting that page it means you're in the 'this is complicated' zone where the refund isn't calculated automatically. You should still get the full amount back in that situation but I probably wouldn't risk it and would call up, as you did.
Ldnn1 is offline  
Old Aug 5, 19, 5:18 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,803
Originally Posted by theultimateflyer View Post
Is this a recent change? I seemed to recall it must be done by phone, but this was 3 years ago.
Yes that was a while ago. Nowadays for simple bookings you can do it online and it shows the full amount to be refunded before you commit.
theultimateflyer likes this.
Ldnn1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: