Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA.com cancellation form & US 24-hour refund requirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit

I just made a booking for September and realized almost immediately that I messed up the outbound date. Under US DOT rules, I should be entitled to a full refund if I cancel within 24 hours.

Does anyone know if the cancellation form on BA.com honors this rule? I'm trying to get through to a human being, but I've been on hold for almost an hour now, and I'm wondering if I have any options if I can't get through.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: AC 35K
You can cancel for free within 24 hours but you need to do so by phone, so I'm afraid you're gonna have to wait on hold. You can also trying DMing BA on twitter - they might be able to do it for you.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:59 pm

You can usually do it online. What does it show in Manage My Booking when you select 'cancellation options for this booking'? If nothing too complicated it should show you the full refund amount within 24h.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theultimateflyer
You can cancel for free within 24 hours but you need to do so by phone, so I'm afraid you're gonna have to wait on hold. You can also trying DMing BA on twitter - they might be able to do it for you.
Fortunately, they picked up a few minutes after I posted this. Refund for full amount processed.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
You can usually do it online. What does it show in Manage My Booking when you select 'cancellation options for this booking'? If nothing too complicated it should show you the full refund amount within 24h.
I stopped when I read that using the form meant that I agreed to whatever refund BA calculated, so I never got to an amount.

(Fortunately, they did finally pick up, so all is good.)
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: AC 35K
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Is this a recent change? I seemed to recall it must be done by phone, but this was 3 years ago.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Is this a recent change? I seemed to recall it must be done by phone, but this was 3 years ago.
Cancelling using the app is very much possible. Unsure when this was brought in. The cancellation screen shows the amount to be refunded prior to the final acceptance click.
anniegray likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
I stopped when I read that using the form meant that I agreed to whatever refund BA calculated, so I never got to an amount.

(Fortunately, they did finally pick up, so all is good.)
Yes if you're getting that page it means you're in the 'this is complicated' zone where the refund isn't calculated automatically. You should still get the full amount back in that situation but I probably wouldn't risk it and would call up, as you did.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:18 pm

Yes that was a while ago. Nowadays for simple bookings you can do it online and it shows the full amount to be refunded before you commit.
theultimateflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.