Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA422 (LHR-VLC) emergency landing in VLC (cabin filled with smoke)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA422 (LHR-VLC) emergency landing in VLC (cabin filled with smoke)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
What a load of rubbish from the press, there is a lot of BA initiated help going on, the trouble is some people think that it is going to come instantly at a station where we probably have only one staff member, the airport authorities would be the first to offer support.
If only there were another IAG subsidiary with a substantial presence at VLC!
Freebird, Buster and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
All I will say is any landing you can walk away from is a good landing, and I hope customers & crew will be looked after - I suspect lots of agencies / handling agents would pull together after a situation like this & help where they can.
flygirl68, nancypants and AJA_ like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by MFCC
No, it is not
The DM is gospel though, obviously.
I should have made it clearer that the DM was quoting passengers tweets.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
What a load of rubbish from the press, there is a lot of BA initiated help going on, the trouble is some people think that it is going to come instantly at a station where we probably have only one staff member, the airport authorities would be the first to offer support.

Surely this is proactively managed by the Captain, who notifies the ground who intern supply fire engine ambulances etc?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
All I will say is any landing you can walk away from is a good landing, and I hope customers & crew will be looked after - I suspect lots of agencies / handling agents would pull together after a situation like this & help where they can.

Yes, the airport should have a plan for incidents. BA would have minimal staff there, but the airport authorities should be taking over now.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador
I guess what happened is there was a serious problem causing smoke in the cabin, people were evacuated after consideration of the situation, crew did an awesome job in doing so and other than a few minor injuries, nobody seriously hurt. Amazing result.

It could take days to get details of what actually happened. Completely agree with earlier comments too that in this situation there were probably limited resources on the ground so communications would be limited to essential.

Thoughts go out to all those having been through this as it must have been a scary ordeal. Particularly those travelling with young families, hope they manage to get over this.
aikaterine likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

avherald---> Accident: British Airways A321 at Valencia on Aug 5th 2019, smoke on board
A British Airways Airbus A321-200, registration G-MEDN performing flight BA-422 from London Heathrow,EN (UK) to Valencia,SP (Spain), was descending towards Valencia when white/grey smoke appeared in the cabin. The aircraft continued for a safe landing on Valencia's runway 12, vacated the runway onto high speed turn off H4 and stopped after crossing the hold short line. The aircraft was evacuated via slides. Three people were taken to a hospital.

Passengers reported smoke appeared about 10 minutes prior to landing associated with a horrible smell, the aircraft was evacuated after landing.

The airline reported the aircraft was involved in an incident, the aircraft has landed, passengers and crew have disembarked, British Airways teams are assisting the passengers
Deltus likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
I’m glad to hear everyone is safe.

These smoke issues are becoming common at BA and I do wonder what it’s down to. I’ll refrain from further comment though as I am no engineer and don’t want to falsely judge.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by aikaterine
Thx for the concern everyone and for letting me know that I have a 5 post limit. I'm home from my medical check and all is good. My earlier post (with the only pic I took) didn't work because I can't post links.

I'm home now and all is good. I had a chance to watch the posted videos and can say that the smoke density is lower than it was in the back. My picture, if you could see it, shows about a 2 row range of vision before the rest of the cabin dissapears into the smoke.

As I mentioned above the cabin filled with smoke soon after we started to descend. It filled quickly, very quickly. It was basically pouring in from what looked like everywhere. It wasn't immediately clear that it was coming from one area. I don't know how long it took them to get the plane on the ground - maybe 10 minutes maybe a little more. That time is lost. As I explained above I am sure of timing after landing since I sent texts to partner at landing and after the slide (which is super bouncy and disturbingly fun given the situation). We were in the plane, on the ground, for 10 minutes.

I can understand why people are upset. We heard nothing from the crew for the ~10 minutes in the air and then 10 minutes on the ground. It would have been good to hear something, anything, before being told to "get off the plane, don't take your bags". I'm floored people in the video above aren't covering their mouths. People in the back doused their clothes in water and used them to breathe through. Not because crew told them to, but because myself and another man did it.

​​​During the 10 minute wait on the ground we didn't hear anything. When we got into the airport we didn't hear anything. I left as soon as I could because I don't actually need my bags quickly and wasn't getting any info. I am not really all that upset about the lack of communication, I assume there is a reason, but I understand why others would be.

I still bristle at the people who were 3 rows away from the back exit pushing towards the front, the ones who jumped onto the slide with luggage, and the people standing on the tarmac right beside the plane after jumping out. That will stay with me.
Glad to hear you are ok. Did BA call you yet? Let us know what they say when they contact you.

Just a thought with all that smoke; would it be possible to open a door at least to get 'some fresh' air before evacuating? Or would that be risking people storming out of the plane.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
That’s somewhat speculative, I’d have to say.

In the year since, I imagine the airframe has done rather a lot of rotations and miles without incident. I’m not aware that either BD or subsequently BA have ever cut back on maintenance of any aircraft.

You may be right and there’s an underlying issue here, but I’m doubtful. Could you provide more concrete evidence to support your theory?
I was merely recalling that this airframe was out of service less than 12 months ago due to smoke in the cabin. I was delayed overnight as a result and was told by the captain about the fault with the aircraft.

I was also suggesting that BA operated, former BD aircraft could be better looked after. For example, many of them have old seating, inoperable or faulty recline mechanisms and tatty old carpets, inconsistent with the majority of other BA short haul aircraft. The aformentioned airframe was in service without paint on an engine cowling during 2018, a non-standard feature in BA livery designs.

Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Welcome to FlyerTalk, aikaterine

I wanted to let you know the site admin team very kindly upgraded your posting privileges. As you have probably noticed, we have several highly trained and super helpful professionals on the forum, so please feel to ask any questions you have, any time you want.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
SK, lupine, flygirl68 and 14 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by cameramaker

I was merely recalling that this airframe was out of service less than 12 months ago due to smoke in the cabin. I was delayed overnight as a result and was told by the captain about the fault with the aircraft.

I was also suggesting that BA operated, former BD aircraft could be better looked after. For example, many of them have old seating, inoperable or faulty recline mechanisms and tatty old carpets, inconsistent with the majority of other BA short haul aircraft. The aformentioned airframe was in service without paint on an engine cowling during 2018, a non-standard feature in BA livery designs.

I don't think age and dodgy interiors are the issue here. Let's see what the cause was, but I feel safe in BA planes no matter how old they are (god I miss those 767's!)
Pascoe and alanjhett like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Without wishing to speculate on this specific incident, here are a couple of links to some background information that people may find informative given the circumstances of today’s event:

https://www.ifalpa.org/media/3141/18...abin-fumes.pdf

Air Safety Link - ALPA Warns Pilots on IAE V2500-A5 Bearings
aikaterine likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:56 pm

BA

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Glad to hear you are ok. Did BA call you yet? Let us know what they say when they contact you.

Just a thought with all that smoke; would it be possible to open a door at least to get 'some fresh' air before evacuating? Or would that be risking people storming out of the plane.
Nothing from BA yet but I'll share anything they tell me here.

Thank you admins for upgrading privileges

Here is pic I took inside cabin after we landed.
lupine, LAXer and altabello like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver

Simon’s articles turn out to be very accurate in most cases. A couple of things immediately stick out due to their absence; no mention of fire or of an emergency being declared whilst in the air.

This information combined with the actions on the ground would suggest the crew were confident they had entire incident well under control at all times.

The media are awful with these kind of events, sensationalism really isn’t helpful for anyone except maybe the numbers person who encourages such clickbait articles. Although, there has yet to be a story suggesting the evacuation should have occurred whilst airborne upon the first sign of fumes...

I am not a qualified aircraft mechanic but with my limited bit of interest and understanding, it wouldn’t surprise me if this transpires to be failure of some kind in the bleed air system which caused fumes to enter the cabin when ordinarily they would otherwise gone elsewhere. Not exactly what you would like to happen but nonetheless, it isn’t a wildly unusual thing to happen. A quick search of Simon’s site linked above will confirm that.

Anyway, this isn’t trivial for those involved and it was likely a frightening experience for those onboard but hopefully they aren’t too affected by it.

On the lack of comms surely that was most probably because the flight deck were concentrating on securing the aircraft before assessing any need to evacuate, after receiving a cabin brief...having people evacuate while a jet engine is still running or having them slide down the back of a wing while the exhaust is still very hot does not end very well for anyone.
flygirl68, BA235, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Originally Posted by aikaterine
Nothing from BA yet but I'll share anything they tell me here.

Thank you admins for upgrading privileges

Here is pic I took inside cabin after we landed.
Blimey, that really is dense. Definitely wouldn’t have wanted to spend any length of time in those conditions. Trust you and yours will rapidly get over this episode. Thanks for keeping us informed with first-hand intel..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.