Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA422 (LHR-VLC) emergency landing in VLC (cabin filled with smoke)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA422 (LHR-VLC) emergency landing in VLC (cabin filled with smoke)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by krispy84
It would be interesting to know accurate details of the ‘no comms’ and how long before landing the problem became apparent. 60 mins (as mentioned above) seems an awful long time.
AIUI the 60 minutes relates to post evacuation. Further up it states the smoke became apparent 10 minutes before landing.

Clearly a scary event for all concerned. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the most important thing for the pilots to get the plane landed rather than communicating with the passengers.
JimEddie, flygirl68, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Apparently the passengers are inside the terminal with no baggage and no-one from BA has gone to them and explain anything. I expect a lot of bad press from this, as at least a couple of journalist were inside the plan as I can read from their twitter feeds.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Cw novice
Clearly a scary event for all concerned. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the most important thing for the pilots to get the plane landed rather than communicating with the passengers.
Aviate. Navigate. Communicate.

Aviate is their first priority.
Jimmie76, JimEddie, eae and 11 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:38 pm

I was on the flight

Found this thread looking for info since we aren't getting much info. Can answer any questions.

Smoke filled the cabin right after we started to descend. Maybe 10 minutes in air after smoke started and before landing. On runway for about 10 minutes in smoke before they deployed slides.

Crew was silent through most of it.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by aikaterine
Can answer any questions.
Did the smoke smell of anything (e.g. burning) or was it just foggy stuff? Did anyone suggest to the cabin crew at doors 2 and 3 that perhaps they should evacuate?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
Aviate. Navigate. Communicate.

Aviate is their first priority.
Agreed, but once you're parked on a taxiway, there isn't much aviation or navigation left to do.

Was it actually a 10 minute wait (measured by a clock), or did it just feel like it. I would imagine that sitting in a smoke filled cabin for 30 seconds would already feel like several minutes...
wrp96, nancypants and altabello like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
As the industry adage goes: ‘If you think safety is expensive, try having an accident.’
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

According to some Spanish media at least 10 people has been treated on-scene for smoke inhalation.

This will be classified as an incident and there would be an official investigation by the CIAIAC (Comisión de Investigación de Accidentes e Incidentes de Aviación Civil, National Comission for the Investigacion of Air Accidents and Incidents), assisted by the AAIB.
T8191, wrp96, nancypants and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Deltus
Did the smoke smell of anything (e.g. burning) or was it just foggy stuff? Did anyone suggest to the cabin crew at doors 2 and 3 that perhaps they should evacuate?
Cabin crew are only to initiate the evacuation if the event is 'clearly catastrophic'. The SCCM will communicate with the Flight Crew who make the situation as safe as possible and will order an evac if the conditions dictate.
The main priority in any situation is obviously passenger safety. Every action is taken to ensure this, though communicating with passengers is not always priority number one.

Well done to the crew onboard today in what must've been an incredibly demanding situation.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:07 pm

Kind of a slight rubbery burning smell. Definitely more smoke smell than like fog or water vapor stuff.

Sorry, dealing with family

People were yelling "open the doors". Not sure why they took 10 minutes to open them. When they did people in the back few rows tried to run to the front of the plane, which was absurd.

Agreed, but once you're parked on a taxiway, there isn't much aviation or navigation left to do.

Was it actually a 10 minute wait (measured by a clock), or did it just feel like it. I would imagine that sitting in a smoke filled cabin for 30 seconds would already feel like several minutes...

It was actually 10 minute wait on the ground. I texted my partner immediately after we touched down and then again after I got off the slide. 10 minutes between texts.
SK, IAN-UK, Jimmie76 and 11 others like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 5, 2019 at 1:19 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:10 pm

An evacuation via slides will usually result in some minor injuries (ankle sprains etc or occasionally worse) and so would not be initiated unless deemed absolutely necessary by the crew
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by aikaterine
It was actually 10 minute wait on the ground. I texted my partner immediately after we touched down and then again after I got off the slide. 10 minutes between texts.
Welcome to FT and the BA board. Sorry it was in these circumstances.

Just a warning, as a new poster you are limited to 5 posts within the first 24 hours so you are coming up on that. So you may want to wait to respond to any other questions all at once. Glad you are safe.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:20 pm

Attaching pic if it helps

Not sure if it is beneficial. It is the only one I took

Last edited by aikaterine; Aug 5, 2019 at 1:23 pm Reason: Pic not appearing
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:21 pm

I can’t see or hear anybody coughing on the video from inside the cabin that’s been posted on various news sites?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The flight crew will only evacuate if they feel that the passengers safety is at risk.
After the engines have been shut down the cabin crew will be ready to evacuate if ordered to do so or if they personally feel that the situation is clearly catastrophic.
The flight crew will be completing many checks which may take priority over passenger communication, the SCCM will be the eyes and ears of the flight crew during this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.