Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA422 (LHR-VLC) emergency landing in VLC (cabin filled with smoke)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA422 (LHR-VLC) emergency landing in VLC (cabin filled with smoke)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:18 pm

Probably not accurate

Posted by a friend to me, not sure of news source. I'll find out in the morning. Seems unlikely that all of them would be stuck but I'm no expert.

Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:20 pm

Just to clarify, the triple low chimes you can hear are the toilet smoke detectors.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:29 pm

Some of the early posts reported that the smoke first appeared at the start of the descent, but the consensus seems to be that it started 10 minutes before landing. My recollection as SLF is that power reduction for the descent happens much more than 20 minutes before landing, but that there are power changes much closer to landing.

Are there likely to have been power increases around 10 minutes out, and if so what would they have been associated with?

On a different theme, I usually find it difficult to count the number of rows to the exit behind me, particularly when the cabin is full. Is there any reason why the position of the emergency exits is not given in terms of row numbers? The information could be of interest, and use, to the more numerate passengers.
thegamebird likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Whoa.

Aikaterine's pic is pretty horrifying. I don't know how s/he kept a level head during that.

And might I add: Aikaterine's posts are unusually concise, articulate, and informative. Highly worthy of the posting upgrade. Thank you.
Mapman, pilot007, our_kid and 11 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aikaterine
Posted by a friend to me, not sure of news source. I'll find out in the morning. Seems unlikely that all of them would be stuck but I'm no expert.
If there were problems with the air system, it is possible that the cabin was at a different (lower) pressure than the ground. If so, the doors will be "jammed" because of the pressure difference. Opening a system in counter-pressure is quite difficult (I am a chemist, and we sometimes have the same problem with reactors and stuff), so they would have to wait for both pressures (internal and external) to equilibrate.
wrp96 and aikaterine like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
It is really strange that folks sitting in the exit row did not open the doors by themselves. After all in an emergency that is exactly what you are supposed to do. Maybe the CC were sitting there in tow 10/11/12 and told passengers not to open the doors. But 10 mins in smoke filled aircraft - you want get out.

Or cabin pressure still on and the doors would not operate.

-j
mradey, wrp96, altabello and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
It is alarming to see how many people feel their judgment about what should or shouldn’t be done in an emergency situation is superior to that of the crew. Their SEP training is exacting. It isn’t something they can fail at. They know what they’re doing and they are exposed to the same risks as their passengers, potentially more so in the event of an emergency evacuation.

I have far more faith in them than in some dunderhead passenger in full-on blunderbuss mode.
SK, Globaliser, shefgab and 11 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by jouhka
It is really strange that folks sitting in the exit row did not open the doors by themselves. After all in an emergency that is exactly what you are supposed to do.
-j
No, only if instructed to do so by crew.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:36 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
If I had been a pax on the plane and no action or announcements 10 minutes from the flightdeck after landing with a dense smoke filled cabin, I would have started to wonder if the flight crew had become overwhelmed with fumes and passed out. And that maybe the CC were doing nothing either because they were waiting instructions from the flight deck.

Am mindful of that Saudia L1011 Tri-Star incident some 40 years ago whereby sadly everyone on board perished after a fire was reported and after landing the aircraft did not evacuate - the reason why is still not fully understood. Chilling reading and would certainly ave gone through my mind if on yesterdays flight.....that maybe was nothing happening because the fine chaps upfront were incapacitated by fumes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudia_Flight_163

Notwithstanding that, nice to hear everyone is all safe
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Starship73
An evacuation via slides will usually result in some minor injuries (ankle sprains etc or occasionally worse) and so would not be initiated unless deemed absolutely necessary by the crew
Before we go too far down the rabbit hole here. There were reports from reputable sources of an engine fire, which were completely false. We also have reports, from someone, of jammed doors.

The Airbus pressurisation system opens the outflow valves on landing, equalizing the pressure.

If the Smoke Fire and Fumes Checklist has been auctioned, and in this case I have absolutely no doubt it was, then:

a. Initially the flight crew will be planning a diversion.

b. They will be reconfiguring the electrical system to reduce electrical demands thereby eliminating most causes of smoke.

c. They will be venting cabin air overboard and stopping any recirculation of air.

If the source is not obvious then a rapid descent to 10000ft will be started.

At this point and at any time during this checklist an immediate landing is being considered. Also IF at any time the smoke is the greatest threat then the aircraft will be depressurised.

So the aircraft landing should be either depressurised, or in a normal pressurisation mode, the "jammed" doors thing is just more panicked stories or half heard things being repeated as gospel.

People behave very, very, very differently when scared. Assertive people become mice, some just freeze, others just wait for clear instruction and wait for the crew to guide them.

No emergency event is ever " perfect" and lessons are always learned. Comms from the flight deck in a smoke event are almost impossible - its darned hard just to brief the crew and it is likely that hearing the " Darth Vader" impression of a pilot on a full face oxygen mask will help calm anyone.

On the ground, again the pilots will be doing their best to assess the situation and until we know what info was presented to them we cannot really assess how or why they made their decision to stay onboard as long as they did, given the same info I may have made the same decisions as them, so can well just dial back the criticisms of who decided what and when.

To me it sounds like the cabin crew did a stellar job in a very stressful situation. Hats off to them for a job very well done. It gives me great comfort to know that I work with such professional and capable colleagues. As for the flight crew I think they did well but will await the reports and analysis to learn from their efforts.

Everyone survived and there was no panic - a job well done.

Last edited by Waterhorse; Aug 6, 2019 at 1:06 am
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
If you are sat on an emergency exit row you are only to open the door if instructed to do so by the crew, usually by the captain giving the instruction ''passenger evacuation".
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi.

This is the main story on the BBC breakfast news just now.

Glad everyone made it out ok

Regards

Tbs
aikaterine likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by flygirl68

Were the engines still running? What would you have done if the slide didn’t inflate now that you may have started a stampede to the exit?
I completely understand those points. I think I would have checked outside, listening for engine shutdown etc before doing it and it’s impossible to know unless you’re in that situation but I think my first instinct would be to get off the plane. If my children are beside me then I am definitely getting them off the plane. Ten minutes seems a long time and the pictures look quite bad.

Its all a bit hypothetical though as I wouldn’t know for sure how I’d react unless I was in that situation and it’s not a criticism of anyone that was.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
A couple points that have been commented on which I would like to clarify.
I have never been trained on the Airbus but this aircraft is the A321 so no over-wing exits and each pair of exits would have at least one crew member responsible.
The pictures of the crew member on the phone is a snap shot and doesn’t mean that she was had the phone “stuck to her head”, she was taking or making a call.
There may have been no communication from the pilots but I’m absolutely sure that the cabin crew would have been shouting out commands such as to sit down and remain calm.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by aikaterine
I still bristle at the people who were 3 rows away from the back exit pushing towards the front, the ones who jumped onto the slide with luggage, and the people standing on the tarmac right beside the plane after jumping out. That will stay with me.
not sure if the case here but this is a known thing and a big reason why the crew always point out the exits in the safety briefing even though it’s “blatantly obvious”- in a stressful/emergency experience a lot of people revert to what is known- “how do I get out? Through the door I came in!”
there have been many incidents where bodies have been found, obviously having advanced past an available/open emergency exit in search for the forward door

(OT but similarly, why they push how to undo the seatbelt- because people revert to car seatbelt opening which is of course different)

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas

Just a thought with all that smoke; would it be possible to open a door at least to get 'some fresh' air before evacuating? Or would that be risking people storming out of the plane.
qantas got a bit of a talking to for doing this on the ground in BKK after QF1 because:

Originally Posted by flygirl68
No. Oh no.
1) We never open doors without some ground equipment outside.
2) There could be more trouble outside than inside.
3) You would have to put the door into Manual to open it without the slide deploying, and that is not very wise at all.
Also

Originally Posted by BA6501
That would also bring in a lot of fresh oxygen. Not sure that's what you'd want to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.