Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA422 (LHR-VLC) emergency landing in VLC (cabin filled with smoke)

BA422 (LHR-VLC) emergency landing in VLC (cabin filled with smoke)

Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
I think, judging from the picture, that if I had have been sat in the emergency exit row I would have attempted to open the door beside me and not wait the aforementioned 10 minutes.

Glad and to see it all ended well
SW7London, eae, mradey and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by MickV
I think, judging from the picture, that if I had have been sat in the emergency exit row I would have attempted to open the door beside me and not wait the aforementioned 10 minutes.

Were the engines still running? What would you have done if the slide didnt inflate now that you may have started a stampede to the exit?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:10 pm

People do odd things in dramatic situations

Originally Posted by MickV

Yeah, I'm not sure why no one did. I couldn't see well, so maybe they did and were stopped. I'm disappointed that it didn't cross my mind. I was pretty focused on helping a young person beside me stay calm which helped to keep me calm.

If is weird how ineffectual I was at anything else though.
MickV and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
As mentioned by Charlie Whiskey, the apparent lack of comms to the passengers for 10 minutes or so after landing seems odd. Checklists, internal crew comms and external comms notwithstanding, the workload is lower as theyre on the ground vice on finals with a developing emergency.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by flygirl68

Were the engines still running? What would you have done if the slide didnt inflate now that you may have started a stampede to the exit?
I'm less disappointed in myself now Maybe it was good that I didn't think about anything besides keeping everything and everyone around me calm.
flygirl68, Waterhorse and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
I understand that there may be risks in evacuating until the crew give the nod but the smoke was really dense by the look of things.

If the cabin was filled with smoke and I was struggling to breathe I would have gone to the exit. I am really struggling to understand why it took 10 mins to initiate evacuation. Surely, the crew could see how bad the situation was in the cabin.
mradey, chris87, altabello and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Was the floor level lighting illuminated? I can't see it from that smokey photo, but maybe it's just the angle... What should be the trigger for that to come on?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
Glad that everyone got off safely.

A little bit OT but evacuations and luggage (hot button issue) For me personally I always ensure I have my passport, phone and wallet on my person during take off and landing. Everything else can be replaced.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Deltus
Was the floor level lighting illuminated? I can't see it from that smokey photo, but maybe it's just the angle... What should be the trigger for that to come on?
You know, I didn't notice that anything was brighter on the floor but I also didn't specifically check. I knew how many seats were behind me to the exit, which was ultimately unnecessary since visibility improved when the doors opened.

​​​​
MickV, wrp96 and Deltus like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Jambon87
Glad that everyone got off safely.

A little bit OT but evacuations and luggage (hot button issue) For me personally I always ensure I have my passport, phone and wallet on my person during take off and landing. Everything else can be replaced.
Well they can all be replaced as well, everything except yourself!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:34 pm

Incidents, emergencies, evacuations, no two will be the same. Yes we have thorough training to follow, but it’s all about waiting, listening and looking. I’m sure the 10 minutes on the ground must have felt much longer. All of the crew want to also get home safely too.

I am impressed with the passengers on the brief footage I have seen as I didn’t really notice any panic, and even heard someone shhhhing the passengers, even though they weren’t even chatting very loudly.

Jimmie76, wrp96 and aikaterine like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by aikaterine
I'm less disappointed in myself now Maybe it was good that I didn't think about anything besides keeping everything and everyone around me calm.
Keeping people calm is great stuff! Thank you on behalf of my colleagues.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas

Just a thought with all that smoke; would it be possible to open a door at least to get 'some fresh' air before evacuating?
That would also bring in a lot of fresh oxygen. Not sure that's what you'd want to do.
flygirl68 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by flygirl68
Incidents, emergencies, evacuations, no two will be the same. Yes we have thorough training to follow, but its all about waiting, listening and looking. Im sure the 10 minutes on the ground must have felt much longer. All of the crew want to also get home safely too.

I am impressed with the passengers on the brief footage I have seen as I didnt really notice any panic, and even heard someone shhhhing the passengers, even though they werent even chatting very loudly.

There were moments of panic, sort of when you would expect. When the smoke started pouring in there was an initial bout of mild screaming and panic. A number of people shouted at everyone to calm down. In the back rows we tried to get the 'douse fabric in water and put it over your mouth and nose' message out. I was pretty sure I was dead until I felt what I decided was the pilot taking control of the plane. Totally might not have been but the plane went from a 'gliding' feeling - which was not a great feeling with a cabin full of smoke - to a 'human is controlling this big smoke filled tin can' feeling. I convinced myself that the Pilot's control indicated at least one of the engines was working. It seemed like others around me calmed down a bit around that same time.

After we landed and the doors were not opening, people lost it for a bit. Lots of yelling for someone to open the door but it didn't last long.

Third round of 'people losing their minds' was when the doors opened. Again, people 3 rows from the back exit moving towards front, grabbing their luggage, etc... One thing that was nice is there was no pushing, no stempede. At least not that I noticed.

So, there was definitely multiple freak-out moments from significant numbers of passengers but they were largely short lived. There was considerably more cooperation and concern, at least in the back.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by aikaterine

So, there was definitely multiple freak-out moments from significant numbers of passengers but they were largely short lived. There was considerably more cooperation and concern, at least in the back.
All normal human reactions, but not too bad considering. I hope you never have to go through something like this again.
Sleep might be tricky tonight, but I hope you manage to get some.
Jimmie76, wrp96, Tobias-UK and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.