Status renewed for 2 years

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Status renewed for 2 years

Hi All
First time posting here.
My BA Gold status was up for manual renewal last week (using the two week 'grace period' extension to retain status). BA have now updated my gold card to expire in July 2021 as a result. I assume this is some sort of lucky mistake? Don't want to highlight this to BA in case they change it back. I wanted to check if this has happened to other members and if so, does that mean a TP run to retain status for the next year will be unnecessary?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk, and welcome to the BA forum k146, it's good to see new members joining the board, and I hope we will see more of you in the future.

Is that what the App / My Account card shows? The usual reason for extra long extensions is if you had some really bad experience such as being stuck during the IT meltdown or for those who were on the Las Vegas runway evacuation. So apart from that, I can't think of a reason for a long extension.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk, and welcome to the BA forum k146, it's good to see new members joining the board, and I hope we will see more of you in the future.

Is that what the App / My Account card shows? The usual reason for extra long extensions is if you had some really bad experience such as being stuck during the IT meltdown or for those who were on the Las Vegas runway evacuation. So apart from that, I can't think of a reason for a long extension.
Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, the card in the app shows an expiry of 31 Jul 2021 and the additional tier points that got me to Gold have been counted as part of the current TP year instead of being accounted for in the previous TP year.
Seems to me there's been a mistake - the only 'really bad' experience was being affected by the data breach last year and having to cancel my credit card but i doubt this is intended to compensate for that
orbitmic and george77300 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I've got an extended expiry date too, without much explanation that I could find. Rather like a mis-credit of BAEC earnings, I decided not to question it too much. It's pretty convenient for me since multiple events have rather reduced my travel, BA and otherwise, this year. Either it'll evaporate into a corrected state and I'll be using the plebian routes through the airport for the first part of my next TP earning year, or it'll stick and I'll be happy. Fingers crossed.

I think I was within the BA-calculated blast radius of their data breach but outside the actual blast radius, as my payments cards have not been affected, which may have led BA to credit me a year of status without the associated financial hassles. I suppose someone had to come up smelling of roses after the shower of bovine excrement that accompanied BA's insecurity.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat Amb
I've had this in the past.

I was going to miss Silver by 2 weeks and asked for a grace period to earn the last few tier points (less than 20 IIRC).
BA said fine not a problem.
Membership year ended and I earned the tier points in the agreed two weeks, but then nothing happened.
I left it for a month as I didn't have any flights planned, still, nothing changed.

So I contacted BA and they confirmed I would be upgraded back to Silver.
When the account updated the expiry of silver was for 23months later.
As if I had just earned Silver for the first time.
T8191 and george77300 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
I had exactly this happen to me when asking for a 2 week extension, I effectively got 23 months of Gold. I didn't need it as I re-qualified anyway, but they effectively granted me Gold as if I'd earnt it in the first week of the new year.
T8191 and george77300 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
From the previous posts it seems that BAEC IT can only follow that beneficial route. Nice!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by PantsFlyer
So I contacted BA and they confirmed I would be upgraded back to Silver.
When the account updated the expiry of silver was for 23months later.
As if I had just earned Silver for the first time.
Maybe this is what has happened with the OP, that as the last required points were earned in the 2019/2020 year, and manually they have amended it to gold, the system has taken it as gold has been earned in the 2019/20 year, so you have qualified early and now have your full 24 months!
T8191, PantsFlyer and k146 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat Amb
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
Maybe this is what has happened with the OP, that as the last required points were earned in the 2019/2020 year, and manually they have amended it to gold, the system has taken it as gold has been earned in the 2019/20 year, so you have qualified early and now have your full 24 months!
Yes, that's exactly as I understood it.
wijibintheair likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
This is what happened to me when an AY coded flight failed to post before my collection year end that would have retained my gold. When it did post, there was a manual adjustment to put me back to gold that worked just like this - two years gold. I didn't complain!
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC 35K
I feel like this thread should be deleted before anyone from BA realizes what’s happening
Dambus, T8191, CloudGazer and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Now makes me wonder if I should delay adding my last flight to hit gold until the 9th of August.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:11 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
My Gold expires in two days... worth requesting a 2 week extension just in case?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PxC
My Gold expires in two days... worth requesting a 2 week extension just in case?
Unfortunately they can only apply it retroactively if you’ve got travel in the two weeks after your year end date.

They won’t grant an extension if there isn’t any travel booked and it usually requires to call them after your tier point year has ended.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by k146

Unfortunately they can only apply it retroactively if you’ve got travel in the two weeks after your year end date.

They won’t grant an extension if there isn’t any travel booked and it usually requires to call them after your tier point year has ended.
They don't grant the extension until after the points have credited so bookings are irrelevant. Calling before that may or may not elicit some sympathetic response but nothing actually gets done until after the points apoear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.