Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring Amex MR points to Avios

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Transferring Amex MR points to Avios

I'm sure the answer is on the site somewhere, but I can't find it... My wife has a substantial number of MR points, and (in the US, at least) there is a good offer on transferring them to BA at present. Can she transfer them to anyone's account (ie mine), or does it have to be into an account that matches the name on the Amex account?

Many thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:06 am

It has to match the name on the Amex account.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:14 am

But you can set up a household account, transfer the Amex points to the person with the Amex account then use them from the household account. That would require you and your wife to be in the household account.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Silver
Or alternatively, your wife can add you as a supplementary card holder on her Amex account. Once your online account is created you will be able to transfer to an account in your name.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:07 am

Amex used to have offers whereby you could get say a 50% bonus when transferring MR points to Avios. I have a stack of MRs waiting to be sent across but there hasn't been an offer for a few years now. I wait in hope....
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Amex used to have offers whereby you could get say a 50% bonus when transferring MR points to Avios. I have a stack of MRs waiting to be sent across but there hasn't been an offer for a few years now. I wait in hope....
there's literally a 40% bonus on right now that's why the OP created this post (and mentions it), there was also the exact same offer this time last year
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alancostello
there's literally a 40% bonus on right now that's why the OP created this post (and mentions it), there was also the exact same offer this time last year
sadly the bonus is only for US card holders. It’s been a number of years since UK card holders had a transfer bonus.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: All the usual suspects
And guess who transferred 60k MR's just before this offer opened up.....
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by mzb00
Or alternatively, your wife can add you as a supplementary card holder on her Amex account. Once your online account is created you will be able to transfer to an account in your name.
Does this work for UK cardholders? And if so, as I'm already a supplementary card holder how is this done?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
I didn't think it would work for supplementary card holders as the points are 'owned' by the account holder
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Whilst we're on this subject, I've got a US Amex card but my registered BAEC address is in the UK. I don't want to change that and risk losing my UK Amex 2 for 1 voucher. Has anyone had any experience transferring US Amex MR points into a UK BAEC account?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by Cradders
Whilst we're on this subject, I've got a US Amex card but my registered BAEC address is in the UK. I don't want to change that and risk losing my UK Amex 2 for 1 voucher. Has anyone had any experience transferring US Amex MR points into a UK BAEC account?
I do it all the time, no issue. Got a Uk BA Amex as well which doesn't seem to impact me transferring from my US (non BA) card at all
redeyedonkey likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by fluffymitten
I didn't think it would work for supplementary card holders as the points are 'owned' by the account holder
Amex T&Cs permit transfers to authorized users.
fluffymitten likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:19 pm
bil

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Cradders
I do it quite often with no problem. They typically take 30 minutes to arrive.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Soupdragon62
I do it all the time, no issue. Got a Uk BA Amex as well which doesn't seem to impact me transferring from my US (non BA) card at all
Awesome, thanks Soupdragon62 and bil!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.