Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This is a pre-judging announcement

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by stampcollector
Perhaps slightly off topic, but it would appear that in many off-licences in a certain student city paying for wine with a BA Amex would negate the need for any form of photo ID...
At the self check-out in supermarkets, when I get the ping for age verification for booze I always offer to show them my bus pass. Usually gets a giggle from the staff
T8191, WickedStepMother and Mordac like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Stereotypes have the advantage of making a lot of interactions shorter most of the time, but come at the expense of a few people being incorrectly labeled. Would propose you all go on to enjoy looking "too young for premium cabins" - it is a problem you may wish was coming back in about 10 years time.
"Would propose you all go on to enjoy looking "too young for premium cabins" - it is a problem you may wish was coming back in about 10 years time."

Wish I would get stopped because they thought I looked too young to go in Premium Cabins. Ho hum

ML
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sorp222
Never had this happen. Ba staff unfailingly polite (whatever the cabin) and I am one bath up from a tramp. Now the other pax.....
As long as the bath was recent...
sorp222 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by hsmall
. The reference to my husband when addressing me (or vice versa) is nearly always "friend" or "colleague".
Maybe simple probability? There are likely to be more business colleagues travelling together than married same sex couples? Perhaps the cabin crew are erring on the side of what is most likely?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Maybe simple probability? There are likely to be more business colleagues travelling together than married same sex couples? Perhaps the cabin crew are erring on the side of what is most likely?
I personally feel it's also less embarrassing to err on the side of less-close relationship between a pair of people you don't know than err on a more-close (i.e. less embarrassing to assume that a pair of people are friends when they are partners than assume they are partners when they are friends)
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Elite, Hyatt Diamond
I once got 10k avios from BA after being on the receiving end of a few ‘judgements’ in a short space of time particularly Heathrow checkin and the Amsterdam lounge. We were discussing a baggage issue and we got chatting and I asked if I should have gold tattooed on my forehead to help the staff. It helped I worked for a top 10 client of BA at the time.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LCY8737

W****r-Tags is what my partner calls them.
Are they not useful for if your baggage is mislaid and they can be easily scanned? Don't want to be a DYKWIA w****r but thought that was the point?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by u01sss3
Are they not useful for if your baggage is mislaid and they can be easily scanned? Don't want to be a DYKWIA w****r but thought that was the point?
Without wishing to go off at a tangent and reopen the brag tag debate, I find them useful for 2 things:

1. Avoiding compulsory gate check of carry on
2. Breeding past assorted dragons...

Once I'm on board/through, off they come again

On a completely random note, our little corner of Lancashire is currently experiencing a biblical downpour
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Breeding past assorted dragons...
I don't know what exactly you're getting up to in the lounges, but I don't think your Gold tags should excuse it...
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:52 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by InsomniaBA
Surprisingly as a solo traveler in my 20s (24) who usually wears casual things like jeans and sweaters while flying this never happened to me.
What happens to me a lot at JFK BA Lounges (due to the 21+ policy) is the following convo when entering a lounge:

"How old are you?
"24"
*blank stare*
"Can I see your passport please?"
*hands over passport*
"I'm sorry sir - you just look REALLY young"

Sadly I'm "blessed" with a baby face where most people would still judge me at 18-19.
I sometimes get judged for 18-19 at 29 now...
As long as they are polite about it I don't mind though.

Originally Posted by Beaulieu
I'm 27 now but frequently get ID'd at American lounges. Not a single eye batted in BA lounges in the US though.
American bars (and whatever other places that serve alcohol) risk incredibly high penalties if they get caught serving to anyone under 21, so they are much stricter about checking then in other countries. In California at least, the first violation can result in an immediate 15 day suspension or $3k fine and the third a revocation of their alcohol license.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by bpe
American bars (and whatever other places that serve alcohol) risk incredibly high penalties if they get caught serving to anyone under 21, so they are much stricter about checking then in other countries. In California at least, the first violation can result in an immediate 15 day suspension or $3k fine and the third a revocation of their alcohol license.
I get carded in CA and I'm over 50!! I always wonder why the laws are so strict on alcohol (especially someone my age) and yet you can go get a gun, no worries...
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by PAL62V
I get carded in CA and I'm over 50!! I always wonder why the laws are so strict on alcohol (especially someone my age) and yet you can go get a gun, no worries...
After my parents’ first trip to visit me in San Diego, my dad got carded at DEN on their layover on the way home. My mom sent me a photo of he and the waitress holding up his license and laughing.

He was 62 at the time, with a full grey beard.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Never been prejudged as far as I remember on any airline. I have been mistaken for being Irish though especially here...which I don't mind at all at all.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Never been prejudged as far as I remember on any airline. I have been mistaken for being Irish though especially here...which I don't mind at all at all.
How dare they. We all know darn well you are Welsh!
FlyingScientist likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InsomniaBA
Surprisingly as a solo traveler in my 20s (24) who usually wears casual things like jeans and sweaters while flying this never happened to me.
What happens to me a lot at JFK BA Lounges (due to the 21+ policy) is the following convo when entering a lounge:

"How old are you?
"24"
*blank stare*
"Can I see your passport please?"
*hands over passport*
"I'm sorry sir - you just look REALLY young"

Sadly I'm "blessed" with a baby face where most people would still judge me at 18-19.
Sadly this will end at some point. The grey hairs appear at some stage in life.

Enjoy when you can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.