Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This is a pre-judging announcement

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:52 am

BA are a snobby airline. Surprising considering the cleanliness of the planes and the move towards being an LCA.

Had this happen several times when flying J or F with family.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:59 am

I'm wondering - has anyone been asked to join the business or F check ins or boarding lines when they were actually in economy? So the reverse pre-judgement of the stories above.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by GrahamClarke
I'm wondering - has anyone been asked to join the business or F check ins or boarding lines when they were actually in economy? So the reverse pre-judgement of the stories above.
Not at check in but a few years ago I was flying on Christmas Day to Jeddah from LHR on Saudia for a conference at a university there. I was queueing for security and I was asked “sir please come with me” by a passing security staff member. Fearing I had been spot picked for some enhanced security protocol I thought to myself “great, this won’t be fun” much to my surprise I was swiftly put into the previously closed fast track queue where I passed through security immediately. Leaving the long queue of mainly Arabs behind at regular security. I felt it was very unfair for them to pick “the one white guy in the queue” for such treatment but then again there may have been some other reason unbeknownst to me.

Last edited by wilsnunn; Aug 4, 2019 at 2:19 am
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by origin
even though their ticket is paid for by tesco points.
Pre-judging on a pre-judging thread is good going!
SK, Dambus, fiona and 31 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:18 am

No but I’ve often seen streams of non fast track passengers begins directed to join the fast-track security line. Must be their smart attire.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:34 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I arrived at IAD about 10 years ago with my daughter who would have been 12 at the time, we were in CW and returning from a 2 week holiday. So me dressed in shorts, flip-flops, many days of facial hair growth and my daughter looking like she had just come off the beach.

There was a loooong WT line but virtually no one in the CW or F queues. So we strolled up to the CW desk and when we got about 5 metres away the agent loudly said whilst gesturing, "sir, Economy is over there, those people have been waiting a long time and you must join the back of that line".

When I told him we were in the right line as we were in CW he scowled and processed the check-in without really saying another word or making eye contact with either of us
MzG and tynmar like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are enough reports above that I can't make the case that it doesn't happen. I haven't seen any of this myself, and some of the reports above are from agents who don't work for BA, they are ground handlers for multiple airlines.

However my generalisation would be that there is more naked flesh and kids instagramming away in First than any other cabin, and it's the old dears right down the back who are conservatively and sensibly dressed. In CW shorts on men old enough to know better is quite normal, and I've seen Rosie Huntington-Whiteley dolled up to the nines in a middle seat in EuroTraveller (with Christine Lagarde two rows behind her). So how did they all get on board?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:50 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In CW shorts on men old enough to know better is quite normal....
Hey
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Not a bump from an Economy queue, but ...
It was on 2 Jan 2015 at about 05:00 [my TR tells me] on our first HNL trip. We were in a short line at the LAX T4 AA F desk, HNL-bound ...
Originally Posted by T8191
As we waited, an AA Agent beckoned us over and said “Follow me, please”. In my early morning befuddled state, I wondered whether we were going to be offloaded, or arrested for smoking in California. But no! She was the AA Flagship Agent, and she took us into their private check-in facility!! There she printed us new, proper, boarding passes, and labelled our bags. We were delighted to see that BPs had LARGE print saying things like FIRST, PRIORITY AACCESS and … TSA PRECHK. We were suitable people - YAY!
dougzz likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
As a CW traveller in shorts and old enough that I ought to know better I recognise none of this behaviour mentioned above. Almost all my travel now is leisure and despite some very special travel appearance I’ve never experienced this kind of judgement.
Maybe your body language invites it.
Dover2Golf, gorps1 and TWCLAM like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
A different pre-judging irritates me although I understand and don't usually do anything about it because people can with all goodwill get this wrong. My husband is, well, my husband. I notice that cabin crew can usually sense opposite sex couples as couples rather than friends or colleagues - and I don't think it is just the names on the boarding passes, which are slightly more likely to be the same for opposite sex married couples. The reference to my husband when addressing me (or vice versa) is nearly always "friend" or "colleague". Do heterosexual couples get that too?

(As I say I am not that worried - I do not see homophobes behind every tree. I am just curious.)
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:13 am

Was flying to Madrid on an Iberia flight in J and used the Oneworld lounge at Gatwick. I'd twisted my knee a few weeks earlier and although competent to get around, still had a marked limp. However when I got to the desk the staff had already decided, simply on my gait walking to the desk , I was a very old woman, probably senile and probably deaf. They then proceeded in a LOUD....AND... SLOW....VOICE to tell me I couldn't go into the lounge 'MY LOVE'. Had to stifle a grin when pointing out the word Business on my boarding pass
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Happened to me last year on a BA flight to Miami (A380).

After boarding was announced I walked to the gate, the gate agents scanned my boarding pass (I was in 1A) and let me through.
In the jetty, I turned left at the first exit (Rows 1-4) however I could hear an agent following me running on high heels: "Excuse me Sir, Economy Class is this way".

I stopped and I asked her: "What makes you think I am flying Economy today", showing her my boarding pass. She looked at it, apologised and wished me a safe flight.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I'd better not remind my wife of the time we were entering Departures at PHX, where a friendly airport staffer offered her a wheelchair!
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Not really seen much of this over the years although last year on a LAS flight I was having my usual wander around a 747 and trying to return to my seat on the Upper Deck one of the crew shouted after me up the stairs ‘excuse me where are you going’? I genuinely don’t mind being challenged - I suppose it’s the way it’s handled that matters.
wrp96, nancypants and smf_ltn like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.