Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This is a pre-judging announcement

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
The one thing that amazes me about this thread is how many Hawaiian shirts are apparently worn by BA FT-ers... I do think you might be bringing it upon yourself - I've never suffered any of these problems despite being under 30 and regularly travelling in J wearing shorts and trainers, but then I don't own a Hawaiian shirt!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Deltus
The one thing that amazes me about this thread is how many Hawaiian shirts are apparently worn by BA FT-ers... I do think you might be bringing it upon yourself - I've never suffered any of these problems despite being under 30 and regularly travelling in J wearing shorts and trainers, but then I don't own a Hawaiian shirt!
I do own a couple of Honolulu’s finest sartorial items, but there is NO WAY I would wear them for travelling. I might be mistaken for an American tourist, for a start!

As with all things in a gentleman’s wardrobe, there is a time and place where they may be worn.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
A few years back on SQ F LHR-SIN I met up with a mate who was traveling in business at the gate, I didn't know he was on the flight before that. After lunch I made my way back to the business cabin and he had an empty seat next to him which I took and we were talking when a crew member stopped and said I must return to my assigned seat and moving up a cabin was not permitted. I guessed her thinking and asked it it was OK if my mate came with me and she said it was so we got up and started to move forwards. Her face was a picture, she said nothing but called the IFS who apologised for the misunderstanding. There weren't two seats together in F anyway so we returned to business and a bottle of Krug - yes the whole bottle was brought and served to us.

A few weeks back I was boarding TK at LHR dressed in a polo shirt and shorts. At the gate an announcement was made about the business and economy lines and I moved to the business line and was at the front. The woman who had made the announcement came across and told me it was the business line. I said I knew, she persisted and said it was the business line and the economy line was to my right. I thanked her and said that was what she had announced so I was glad I was in the right place. She glared at me and turned back to the desk.

Perhaps like CWS she thought I was too old to be wearing shorts!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
First time in CCR a few years ago and lounge 'guardian' told me that I would need a first class ticket in order to enter. Which was weird because she would be scanning my BP anyway, and already had it in her hand. Possibly she'd simply looked at my BAEC status on it rather than seat and class of travel etc. or maybe I just didn't look like I was meant to be in there. Who knows (for the record I am neutrally but not sloppily dressed when I travel for work as you never know who you'll bump into - so it's not like I rocked up in board shorts and Havaianas).

When she discovered the mistake there was no attempt at an apology to speak of. But this sort of thing rarely really bothers me anyway.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I've had a couple:

KUL-LHR at the MH lounge, before refurbishment. Silver in Club. Told that I couldn't come in because you either had to be OW Sapphire or travelling business. Er... OK. Apparently she was seriously into Boolean logic, because "OR" was good enough, but not "AND."

PRG-LHR, also silver, also in Club. Was advised that the business checkin was for business passengers only, and the open clapboard gate was shoved closed in front of me. My response was "Oh good" and walked past, then loudly saying at the desk "I'd like to get a boarding pass for 1C please."

Then recently at the CCR. Still had the CCR card a couple of months ago... LHR-MUC, Club again. When I rocked up, asked the dragon if she needed to see my card - sometimes they can tell from the booking, sometimes they can't and I've no idea why. She ignored me. I showed it to her anyway. "Just because you're gold guest list, doesn't mean you can come in here if you're not flying First. You need the Concorde card." Having already asked about needing to see the card, and actually showed it to her, I wasn't particularly happy. Eventually she acknowledged that I did have the card with me and begrudgingly let me in. As I was in the lounge, someone else actually complained to the supervisor about having the same treatment and he definitely looked rather grander than I did.
Dad to Rei and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
I do own a couple of Honolulu’s finest sartorial items, but there is NO WAY I would wear them for travelling. I might be mistaken for an American tourist, for a start!

As with all things in a gentleman’s wardrobe, there is a time and place where they may be worn.
I usually travel in a subdued plaid shirt and grey flannels and don't get questioned. Perhaps I should get some Bermuda shorts and combine them with a loud Hawaiian shirt that I have for a different experience. I suppose I might need to adopt a Texas accent for best effect.
T8191, subject2load and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:54 am

Travelled FC to ORD on the second BA 747 service of that day. This was just before BA put up the 'Board by group numbers' system. The 'Children and anyone that needed assistance' announcement had been made. I thought I'll slowly make my way towards the gate, knowing that the next announcement would be for FC and Emeralds. However, I was physically stop by a woman (aged around 30), accusing me of queue-barging and proudly stated that she was in CW! I had to say that I was in FC. That was when she really got verbally abusive, even the elderly couple in front of me, turned around in shock! I refused to partake in her endless tirade of name-calling; just commented on her "absolute rudeness". Well, FC was called, I walked passed her and just said 'See Ya!'..She totally ignored me and busied herself with her bag!
flygirl68 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by origin
...demanding that you let them in even though their ticket is paid for by tesco points...
Absolutely nowt wrong with paying for flight using Tesco or anything other points, pal.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Two distinct issues at play here really.

It’s understandable that respectable passengers, who simply wish to enjoy their rightful benefits, might perhaps feel a little upset by what they consider a lack of immediate recognition of their status or entitlement.

OTOH, it really is most unfair to level criticism at any ground personnel who deem it appropriate to question or doubt individuals decked out in Hawaiian shirts (let alone Bermuda shorts). I would actually go further, and say that there is every justification for privileges to be temporarily withdrawn from those who choose to wear such offensive clothing at an airport.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Surprisingly as a solo traveler in my 20s (24) who usually wears casual things like jeans and sweaters while flying this never happened to me.
What happens to me a lot at JFK BA Lounges (due to the 21+ policy) is the following convo when entering a lounge:

"How old are you?
"24"
*blank stare*
"Can I see your passport please?"
*hands over passport*
"I'm sorry sir - you just look REALLY young"

Sadly I'm "blessed" with a baby face where most people would still judge me at 18-19.
nancypants and DiamondMile like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by dylanks

For what it’s worth regardless of what I wear I’ve never had someone talk to me assuming I was in the wrong place, even when our family of 5 is flying in F. My wife says I walk with authority because I know where I’m going. Maybe she’s just flattering me.
My South African wife tells me that I walk with a very British sheepishness, maybe thats my issue
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Red, HH Gold
Perhaps slightly off topic, but it would appear that in many off-licences in a certain student city paying for wine with a BA Amex would negate the need for any form of photo ID...
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by InsomniaBA
Surprisingly as a solo traveler in my 20s (24) who usually wears casual things like jeans and sweaters while flying this never happened to me.
I'm 27 now but frequently get ID'd at American lounges. Not a single eye batted in BA lounges in the US though.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:57 am

Never had this happen. Ba staff unfailingly polite (whatever the cabin) and I am one bath up from a tramp. Now the other pax.....
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by hsmall
A different pre-judging irritates me although I understand and don't usually do anything about it because people can with all goodwill get this wrong. My husband is, well, my husband. I notice that cabin crew can usually sense opposite sex couples as couples rather than friends or colleagues - and I don't think it is just the names on the boarding passes, which are slightly more likely to be the same for opposite sex married couples. The reference to my husband when addressing me (or vice versa) is nearly always "friend" or "colleague". Do heterosexual couples get that too?

(As I say I am not that worried - I do not see homophobes behind every tree. I am just curious.)
Harry,
I have a female married business colleague (mid-50's so about a decade younger than me ), we regularly travel together and stay and dine in hotels/restaurants.

We seem to blend into the background as middle aged almost everywhere, but are regularly thought to be a couple. If should be obvious to all that we are not married or a couple - we are talking to each other!

But we never get the other addressed as husband or wife by staff - usually friend or colleague suffices for us too.
PeS, T8191 and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.