This is a pre-judging announcement

Old Aug 10, 19, 6:15 am

I was in a department store at lunchtime looking at luggage in May and a lovely lady asked me about hand luggage, I gave her a few tips which she appreciated. I donít think she realised I didnít work there. Happens quite often to me.
Old Aug 10, 19, 6:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by richardwft View Post
I was in a department store at lunchtime looking at luggage in May and a lovely lady asked me about hand luggage, I gave her a few tips which she appreciated. I donít think she realised I didnít work there. Happens quite often to me.
I've occasionally been asked for water or wine in CCR ,when I've got a tie on. I just give them what they ask for, to the CCR staffers' amusement.
Old Aug 10, 19, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by roberino View Post
I was wearing smart trousers and shirt when I went to pick up some lunch from Tesco near a customer site. Another customer asked me where the pita bread was ....
Need to get a better pair of trousers and a smarter shirt to avoid this Iíd guess!

Go upstairs in your Tesco and browse the Florence and Fred range for the ideal wardrobe and some Clubcard points.
Old Aug 10, 19, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I've occasionally been asked for water or wine in CCR ,when I've got a tie on. I just give them what they ask for, to the CCR staffers' amusement.
Do CCR staff usually wear tweed jackets and tattershall check shirts?
Old Aug 10, 19, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, SAS Diamond, Marriott Ambassador and LT Plat, Radisson Platinum
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Funniest assumption-making appearance thing: Having my hair in a bun, wearing a jacket and a skirt.

When I habitually had my hair in a bun while wearing a jacket and a skirt, and walking through LHR, I was stopped and asked for direction all the time. I assume I was mistaken for a staff member.

Stopping wearing my hair in a bun (because it kept setting off the security scanner, through my sheer forgetfulness to take the hair clip with a net off) stopped being constantly asked for direction even when wearing the same garments
This occurred to my partner last year as she happened to be wearing a shirt similar to that of LGW security (although to my knowledge her hair wasnít in a bun). After she had gone through security, she took a minute to put the trays back in place, at which point someone approached her to ask for directions. The conversation went something like this:

- Can you tell me the way to gate X?
- (surprised) Sorry, I donít know!
- Seriously?
- (looking at signage) I think itís that way, but you really should double-check with someone.
- How rude! Iíll complain to your supervisor! (storms off)

At this point she regretted not sending the person back to N terminal...
flygirl68, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 8:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
Originally Posted by fluffymitten View Post
I'm a very English looking girl (5'6" ish) and my partner is a tall, large Indian man (6'3"). We were asked on a LCY-DUB trip, where we were sat next to each in row 1, if either one of us wanted to move for a bit more space as business wasn't well occupied. We laughed it off and said we were travelling together. Chatting on route, where HWMBO was necking the G&T and I was on the OJ, I let slip why I couldn't drink - driving at the other end. Queue half a dozen bottles of fizz to enjoy once we got to our destination.

Anyway, back to the first point - my partner and I are regularly assumed to not be travelling together unless someone notices the same PNR or we happen to talk to each other as we board.
My wife and I are somewhat the opposite of you, I am a 6'1" British guy and my wife is 5'6" and of Middle Eastern origin and more often than not when travelling we are spoken to using the word "colleague" and staff are very surprised when I correct them and say "she is my wife". We do not have the same surname but nearly always are on the same PNR.
Old Aug 10, 19, 9:00 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
Need to get a better pair of trousers and a smarter shirt to avoid this Iíd guess!

Go upstairs in your Tesco and browse the Florence and Fred range for the ideal wardrobe and some Clubcard points.
Gonna give me some ointment for that burn?
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 9:16 am

Programs: QF gold-> platinum
Originally Posted by fluffymitten View Post
I'm a very English looking girl (5'6" ish) and my partner is a tall, large Indian man (6'3"). We were asked on a LCY-DUB trip, where we were sat next to each in row 1, if either one of us wanted to move for a bit more space as business wasn't well occupied. We laughed it off and said we were travelling together. Chatting on route, where HWMBO was necking the G&T and I was on the OJ, I let slip why I couldn't drink - driving at the other end. Queue half a dozen bottles of fizz to enjoy once we got to our destination.

Anyway, back to the first point - my partner and I are regularly assumed to not be travelling together unless someone notices the same PNR or we happen to talk to each other as we board.
funnily enough, travelling regularly on my own, I often experience the exact opposite of this- people offering to swap with me so I can sit next to my ďhusbandĒ, which is always a totally random man, not anywhere within the half your age + 7 bracket for either of us, every combination of races possible. Iíve had crews offer to take photos of ďusĒ together several times, etc.

kind of embarrassing and iíve not as yet had any interaction with the gents in question that would encourage the idea iím romantically linked to them (other than the age old ďyou can tell theyíre not married as theyíre actually talking to each otherĒ)
Old Aug 10, 19, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Oh, what excitements you all get!!

As a ‘typical’ WASP OAP couple, we just waft through airports and aircraft without any of these observations.
Old Aug 10, 19, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Oh, what excitements you all get!!

As a Ďtypicalí WASP OAP couple, we just waft through airports and aircraft without any of these observations.
we will keep reporting back here so you donít feel like youíre missing out on the excitement
T8191, wrp96, LCSinTexas and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
[QUOTE=Deltus;31380838]The one thing that amazes me about this thread is how many Hawaiian shirts are apparently worn by BA FT-ers...

It's because they've all done the Tier Point run to HNL and the Hawaiian shirt is a whole new dimension to DYKWIA. Forget about flashing your Gold card around. You honestly think they do it for BA status!!!!

ML
Scots_Al, T8191, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 2:50 pm

[QUOTE=Mountlodge;31401738]
Originally Posted by Deltus View Post
The one thing that amazes me about this thread is how many Hawaiian shirts are apparently worn by BA FT-ers...

It's because they've all done the Tier Point run to HNL and the Hawaiian shirt is a whole new dimension to DYKWIA. Forget about flashing your Gold card around. You honestly think they do it for BA status!!!!

ML
i think 1980ís Magnum Pi and Hawaii Five O have a lot to answer for. Never heard of tier point runs then. Hubby loves Hawaiian shirts and got mistaken for a waiter in Hilton Hawaian Village when we went for a drink in the 80ís.
Still enjoy watching the new Magnum Pi and Hawaii Five O today but must say I miss the Tom Selleck famous wink😉😉.

Old Aug 10, 19, 3:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by nancypants View Post

funnily enough, travelling regularly on my own, I often experience the exact opposite of this- people offering to swap with me so I can sit next to my ďhusbandĒ
I've never had that happen to me. It'd make my travel slightly more amusing if that happened.

(Out of approx. 150 flights in the last year, I was probably on the same flight as my husband once or twice, so it wouldn't have been the lack of opportunity.)
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 11, 19, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
I've never had that happen to me. It'd make my travel slightly more amusing if that happened.

(Out of approx. 150 flights in the last year, I was probably on the same flight as my husband once or twice, so it wouldn't have been the lack of opportunity.)
when iím with mr pants they never think weíre together, and that includes when I catch a ride to the airport in the crew bus.

Maybe they have some deeper insight into compatibility than I do
Old Aug 11, 19, 5:34 am

The very first time BA moved me to First was in the early 90s. I was flying to SFO to visit a manufacturer and was with 2 of their engineers each of whom was moved from economy to Club - so I guessed my chances were zero of a move. I was dressed in smart-but-casual binman outfit of jeans and polo shirt so here is where the put-down came. The guy I was seated next to in row 1 was dressed identically except in place of my Citizen he wore a gold Rolex. I felt fine. Then a tall gent in full 3 piece suit arrived and was greeted by the stage whispered "I hate it when they upgrade people" remark from my neighbour. Naturally I just kept quiet, but was really pleased not get caught. Yes, it was a wonderful experience which I have now often repeated and always wear the same look to fly.

Search this Thread