This is a pre-judging announcement

Old Aug 7, 19, 2:39 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother View Post

Did you ever give incorrect directions just for fun?

I am sure you were more polite than Mr WSM who regularly gets asked directions in supermarkets if he goes in wearing a suit. He generally answers “B*gg*r*d if I know!”
I was wearing smart trousers and shirt when I went to pick up some lunch from Tesco near a customer site. Another customer asked me where the pita bread was and I said “probably the bread aisle” in a sarcastic tone. She replied “now wonder Tesco is in trouble if you’re the kind of person that works for them”. At this point multiple fireworks went off in my head and my unreasonable side nearly took over, but I managed to control myself and said “the people that work here are the ones wearing badges that say Tesco on them.”
SK, Sealink, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:44 am

My OH and I were told on at least 2 occasions that the economy line was the next desk down when flying club from GIG-LHR. Thnk mustve been the fact we were carrying backpacks- althought we are 40s/50s. First time thanked the guy for info- 2nd time the other guy insisted on seeing boarding passes- showed them but just got a grunt and ignored then
Sealink likes this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 5:04 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
I chuckle on the occasion when the 3 of us travel as a family and approach the OW lounge. A comment usually directed to me was “OWE can only guest one person” - effectively asking me to choose between my spouse or child. To which my child would reply, “I’m the one guesting in my mom!”
I have had that before too when travelling with my parents (which is a rare occurrence these days) - all three of us BA Gold, but presented with the same question. My response: "Sorry, who are you referring to? - I do not have any guests to bring in"...
Old Aug 8, 19, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Funniest assumption-making appearance thing: Having my hair in a bun, wearing a jacket and a skirt.

When I habitually had my hair in a bun while wearing a jacket and a skirt, and walking through LHR, I was stopped and asked for direction all the time. I assume I was mistaken for a staff member.

Stopping wearing my hair in a bun (because it kept setting off the security scanner, through my sheer forgetfulness to take the hair clip with a net off) stopped being constantly asked for direction even when wearing the same garments
I was once travelling through T5 wearing a navy-blue blazer, white shirt and a red, white and blue tie. I stopped by one of the food vendors for a sandwich and a bag of crisps, paid for them and left. I later looked at the receipt to find I had been awarded a staff discount.
Old Aug 8, 19, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by PAL62V View Post
I get carded in CA and I'm over 50!! I always wonder why the laws are so strict on alcohol (especially someone my age) and yet you can go get a gun, no worries...
Because apparently the right to bear arms is in the US constitution
Old Aug 8, 19, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by JamesKidd View Post
And alcohol was banned in the XVIII Amendment ... I don’t think they’ve ever recovered from that mindset.
aidy and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
I'd better not remind my wife of the time we were entering Departures at PHX, where a friendly airport staffer offered her a wheelchair!

Haha, in the past, I’ve had the opposite reaction. I practically have to wave to the wheelchair staff looking round for their passenger, but still ignoring me. The most notable one was in Boston where the assistance guy said on approaching me: “YOU.... need a wheelchair???”

another occasion, I got through Zurich under my own steam but on attempting to Pre-board the gate agency said imperiously: “madam, were are boarding infants now” I actually waved my walking stick in his face.
Jimmie76, VSLover, T8191 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by hsmall View Post
A different pre-judging irritates me although I understand and don't usually do anything about it because people can with all goodwill get this wrong. My husband is, well, my husband. I notice that cabin crew can usually sense opposite sex couples as couples rather than friends or colleagues - and I don't think it is just the names on the boarding passes, which are slightly more likely to be the same for opposite sex married couples. The reference to my husband when addressing me (or vice versa) is nearly always "friend" or "colleague". Do heterosexual couples get that too?

(As I say I am not that worried - I do not see homophobes behind every tree. I am just curious.)
I'm a very English looking girl (5'6" ish) and my partner is a tall, large Indian man (6'3"). We were asked on a LCY-DUB trip, where we were sat next to each in row 1, if either one of us wanted to move for a bit more space as business wasn't well occupied. We laughed it off and said we were travelling together. Chatting on route, where HWMBO was necking the G&T and I was on the OJ, I let slip why I couldn't drink - driving at the other end. Queue half a dozen bottles of fizz to enjoy once we got to our destination.

Anyway, back to the first point - my partner and I are regularly assumed to not be travelling together unless someone notices the same PNR or we happen to talk to each other as we board.
hsmall, Sealink and wilsnunn like this.
Old Aug 9, 19, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by JamesKidd View Post
Old Aug 9, 19, 5:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, VS Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
My pal is quite blingy, but is absolutely lovely.

Both in CE, at BHD she is told she doesn't have access to the lounge, then produces her boarding pass. Not even an apology.
Old Aug 9, 19, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
I (middle aged woman) get this semi regularly, and I wouldn't mind if I was politely asked for my boarding pass or whatever, but I'm not.
Some of the phrases I have heard have been downright rude
E.g. "Oi, you need to go over there", "I've already told you that the Economy queue is over there" etc.
The lack of an apology says more about them than it does about me, but oh the temptation to suggest that several of these people should just Foxtrot Oscar has been almost overwhelming at times.
Old Aug 9, 19, 9:46 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by roberino View Post

I was wearing smart trousers and shirt when I went to pick up some lunch from Tesco near a customer site. Another customer asked me where the pita bread was and I said “probably the bread aisle” in a sarcastic tone. She replied “now wonder Tesco is in trouble if you’re the kind of person that works for them”. At this point multiple fireworks went off in my head and my unreasonable side nearly took over, but I managed to control myself and said “the people that work here are the ones wearing badges that say Tesco on them.”
Something similar happened to me quite a few years ago in B&Q , I was walking through the store looking for some items and as I was wearing a shirt and tie some “Lady “ started to shout “excuse me “ very loudly . I of course had no idea that she was talking to me, she then walked up to me and demanded to know why I was ignoring her and that I take her to the electrical aisle , I replied that I had no idea where it was and she should go and ask a member of B&Q staff, I liked how the steam came out of her ears.
Strange thing is I now work there part time after I retired from the Police.
Old Aug 9, 19, 10:37 am

I had the same thing today. I took my Tesla to the service centre and they suggested I use one of their offices to work. The only problem is that customers and their cleaner asked me to organise test drives. ��

T8191 and Railbob like this.
Old Aug 9, 19, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by patersoj View Post
I (middle aged woman) get this semi regularly, and I wouldn't mind if I was politely asked for my boarding pass or whatever, but I'm not.
Some of the phrases I have heard have been downright rude
E.g. "Oi, you need to go over there", "I've already told you that the Economy queue is over there" etc.
The lack of an apology says more about them than it does about me, but oh the temptation to suggest that several of these people should just Foxtrot Oscar has been almost overwhelming at times.
I am in the same boat and have recounted my most memorable experience way upthread. I’m not ‘young looking’. I don’t own an Hawaiian shirt. I dress smartly and conservatively, to my detriment as I don’t dress down to travel and sometimes that has made me a bit uncomfortable. I’m well groomed and won’t be seen without makeup (that’s my own insecurity for a different time and place) so I’m at a loss as to why I experience this treatment.

Not for one second suggesting *anyone* deserves this. A lot of well-meaning contributors are trying to mitigate it with various suggestions as to why it might happen. Or saying ‘that’s not my experience’ which, as a pro-tip is a little bit reductive and cast doubts on the legitimacy of our experiences. It does happen. It happens to quite a few people (evidenced by the length of this thread) and there is absolutely no need for it to happen. Stereotyping, blaming confirmation bias, “off-days”, attempts at filtering out the hoi polloi or just jaded staff members - its all preventable. People should do their job well, treat all they encounter as individual and equal and leave prejudice and bad attitude at home. If they can’t, they’re in the wrong job.
SK, patersoj and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 9, 19, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PAL62V View Post
I get carded in CA and I'm over 50!! I always wonder why the laws are so strict on alcohol (especially someone my age) and yet you can go get a gun, no worries...
Many places selling liquor in CA are now asking for ID anytime, doesn't matter the age you are looking like. Like my local Luckys Supermarket asks for it. Also can't use self checkout for alcohol anymore anywhere in CA.

Search this Thread